[1.9.x] QuizTech Aero Pack Continued

linuxgurugamer

35 minutes ago, Adz said:

Thanks.

Just to confirm the original report:

I am having a problem with both the k-35B and the Mk-1 Razor VTOL engines whereby when in VTOL mode they do not lock in place and keep resetting,

meaning I cannot VTOL, any ideas for the cause and/or any rectifications??

Did you install via CKAN or manually?

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2016 at 7:30 PM, Svm420 said:

@Quiznos323

After wasting too much time trying to fix a problem that I didn't cause. Your f-35B turbofan main engine has an off center thrust transform :huh::mad:. Easily noticeable by placing the engine as the root part with RCS build aid you can see torque will be generated showing the thrust vector is not aligned with the CoM. Really quite frustrating as such a minor issue went this long unnoticed and absolutely renders the part unusable. :( Hope such a minor thing can be fixed without being delayed by whatever more substantial changes are needed for 1.1. 

Side note guess this makes my F-35 much more like the real one delayed for bad engineering that should have been caught by the manufacturer :wink:.

On 3/25/2016 at 1:47 PM, Svm420 said:

After A bit more trial I think the problem lies in the VTOL animation. I was able to get the com aligned with the engine in regular mode, but when switched to vtol it causes torque from the thrust vector being not centered after the animation plays. Which is actually worse than it being offset in both mode as it is now impossible to balance as if you balance for 1 mode when you switch your thrust will be off center. :( Hope that helps!  I hate 1.1 for putting modders off of maintaining mods...

On 3/26/2016 at 5:35 PM, Svm420 said:

Checked the mk1 version in hopes of using that, but it has the same issue with the thrust vector being offset when engaging VTOL mode.

Hey, @linuxgurugamer. I had posted about this issue a long time ago in the original thread. I was wondering if it is able to be fixed, or if we are SOL without the author's files. Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Svm420 said:

Hey, @linuxgurugamer. I had posted about this issue a long time ago in the original thread. I was wondering if it is able to be fixed, or if we are SOL without the author's files. Thanks!

Pretty much sol.  I'll contact someone about it, but I don't do modeling.  It is possible to import into Blender, so I'll see if anything can be done.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2017 at 9:37 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

Pretty much sol.  I'll contact someone about it, but I don't do modeling.  It is possible to import into Blender, so I'll see if anything can be done.

Here is the Blend file for anyone who want to try and monkey with it. I'll warn you, I took a quick look at it and it's really messy and unorganized, but if someone wants to put in the time that I don't have, by all means:

K-35B.blend

On 2/6/2017 at 6:25 PM, Non-Newtonian said:

KVV & QTAP have allowed me to create this gem of a picture

https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/5shz1l/flying_pig_qtap_example_craft/

Thank you very much for all your work linuxgurugamer

That was a fun craft to build :)

Edited by Quiznos323

Just now, Quiznos323 said:

Here is the Blend file for anyone who want to try and monkey with it. I'll warn you, I took a quick look at it and it's really messy and unorganized, but if someone wants to put in the time that I don't have, by all means:

K-35B.blend

@Quiznos323

It would help if you actually posted a link :D

7 hours ago, Quiznos323 said:

The model file for the K-35B is now in the QuiztechAeroContinued repo on GitHub:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/QuizTechAeroPackContinued/blob/master/ModelFiles/K-35B.blend

On 1/29/2017 at 6:37 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Hey! Ive worked on a whole bunch of mods now and fancy myself above average at it by now. So what is going on with the engine exactly?

8 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

The model file for the K-35B is now in the QuiztechAeroContinued repo on GitHub:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/QuizTechAeroPackContinued/blob/master/ModelFiles/K-35B.blend

Just here for my reference of the model so it is easier to find later on....

On 1/29/2017 at 6:16 PM, Svm420 said:

@Svm420, Im gonna try to take a look at this. Can you give me a description of what exactly you mean? What I am reading is that the thrust transform is in line with the parts COM when in regular flight, but in VTOL mode the thrust vector points out of line with the engines actual nozzle? Am I correct in assuming this or what is going on? Pictures of the issue if possible wold be extremely helpful too!

2 hours ago, TMasterson5 said:

@Svm420, Im gonna try to take a look at this. Can you give me a description of what exactly you mean? What I am reading is that the thrust transform is in line with the parts COM when in regular flight, but in VTOL mode the thrust vector points out of line with the engines actual nozzle? Am I correct in assuming this or what is going on? Pictures of the issue if possible wold be extremely helpful too!

That was quite some time ago So, I am going to go in the game and get some pics and confirm the exact problem. Really appreciate your help! :) 

@TMasterson5 All right link to the album since we can't embed them. I think I know what the issue is, but it could be 1 of 2 things. The thrustTransfom is, most likely to me, rotated improperly. If you look at the last image in the album and imagine a clock face with 12 o'clock being the top of the craft nd 6 o'clock being where the nozzle should point in VTOL mode I think it is rotated to just past 6, just to the left of true center. It could, however, be offset and not a rotation issue. It could be incorrectly offset slightly right. As both issues are corrected for by offsetting mass to the right it could be either problem. Hope that makes sense. My test environment was quiztech, Firespitter and RCSBuildAid to see the torque.

Edited by Svm420

37 minutes ago, Svm420 said:

@TMasterson5 All right link to the album since we can't embed them. I think I know what the issue is, but it could be 1 of 2 things. The thrustTransfom is, most likely to me, rotated improperly. If you look at the last image in the album and imagine a clock face with 12 o'clock being the top of the craft nd 6 o'clock being where the nozzle should point in VTOL mode I think it is rotated to just past 6, just to the left of true center. It could, however, be offset and not a rotation issue. It could be incorrectly offset slightly right. As both issues are corrected for by offsetting mass to the right it could be either problem. Hope that makes sense. My test environment was quiztech, Firespitter and RCSBuildAid to see the torque.

I'll take a look later this week. Thanks for the info and pictures man!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.