Kerbal Geographical Society

MedwedianPresident

A couple of years ago, a thread existed in the Fan Works forum that was dedicated to naming continents and landscapes on Kerbin and other bodies of the Kerbolar system. I want to revive it. The new organization will be dedicated not only to finding names for continents on Kerbin but will also invent various countries and their backstories as well as name various landscapes such as plains or hills and formations such as mountains or craters on the Mun.

Let's start with the name for the continent/peninsula on which the KSC is located. Should we take Kafrica or does it sound too kerbalized?

Edited by MedwedianPresident

1 hour ago, MedwedianPresident said:

Let's start with the name for the continent/peninsula on which the KSC is located. Should we take Kafrica or does it sound to kerbalized?

Grammar ( most commonly known fascist group that was in germany) moment, "too" not "To"

"To" means, to quote MW dictionary 

-------------------------------------------

"Too" means to quote MW dictionary

------------------------------------------

• —used to indicate the place, person, or thing that someone or something moves toward 

• —used to indicate the place where someone participates in a particular activity 

• —used to indicate the direction of something 

-----------------------------------------

: in addition

: more than what is wanted, needed, acceptable, possible, etc.

: to a high degree or extent : very or extremely

BTW I do do call the KSC's continent Kafrica

Edited by W. Kerman
Rules regarding post content

18 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

Grammar pedant moment, "too" not "To"

"To" means, to quote MW dictionary 

-------------------------------------------

"Too" means to quote MW dictionary

------------------------------------------

• —used to indicate the place, person, or thing that someone or something moves toward 

• —used to indicate the place where someone participates in a particular activity 

• —used to indicate the direction of something 

: in addition

: more than what is wanted, needed, acceptable, possible, etc.

: to a high degree or extent : very or extremely

BTW I do do call the KSC's continent Kafrica

Sorry, this was a typo. As you can notice in my other posts, I try to keep up a high standard of grammar and language (it should be taken into account that English is not my mother tongue), but nobody is immune against typographical mistakes. I'm sure that there are some typos even in major dictionaries.

But let's not turn this into the Kerbal Grammatical Society but into the Kerbal Geographical Society.

As you may have noticed, the Kafrican Alps consist of a short ridge west of the KSC that borders the Eastern Kafrican Lowland (the slightly hilly landscape to the southwest, west and north of the space center). However, the westward transistion is much smoother; the main part of the Kafrican Alps actually consists of subalpine hills that slowly turn into the western steppe landscape.

I don't want the names of the mountains and other landscapes to be too spacey (please nothing like Mt. Booster or Explosion Bay) because the Kerbal civilization existed and names for places were invented way before the advent of space flight and the birth of a certain individual whose first name begins with J. Kafrican Alps sounds nice. The view from the KSC is actually fairly similar to some views in Austria and Bavaria (you are standing on a lowland or plain and see far mountains), and these mountains share many features with the Terran Alps such as being fairly high but not the highest landscape on the planet.

How about calling the whole mountain zone, including the hills in the west, the Kafrican Alps and calling the ridge the High or Eastern Alps?

The smaller mountain ridge at the southern tip of Kafrica (west of Kerbin City) may or may not be related to the Kafrican Alps, especially considering the fact that mountain ridges on Kerbin are usually "broken" by lowlands. How should we call this area?

1 minute ago, W. Kerman said:

Hops on verbal maps...

It is where cape hope is, maybe the Hope Mountain Range?

Maybe the Hops Hills/Mountains? Maybe hops could be grown in this area?

I always imagined the region at the southern tip of Kafrica as being very fertile with subtropical or tropical climate suitable for hops and wine. It's the "Riviera of Kafrica" where Kerbonauts spend their short holidays in luxury hotels before embarking on year-long expeditions to Jool and Eeloo.

3 minutes ago, MedwedianPresident said:

Maybe the Hops Hills/Mountains? Maybe hops could be grown in this area?

I always imagined the region at the southern tip of Kafrica as being very fertile with subtropical or tropical climate suitable for hops and wine. It's the "Riviera of Kafrica" where Kerbonauts spend their short holidays in luxury hotels before embarking on year-long expeditions to Jool and Eeloo.

Hmmm... Not sure, looked at map and it looks like it it would have a hard time growing crops without some irrigation. 

It surely looks a bit pale, but Italy looks a bit pale too when looked upon from space, doesn't it? Just because the color is a bit brownish and the whole landscape turns into a steppe 40 kilometers to the west does not conflict with the possibility of growing mediterranean crops at the coast. 

Let's call the coast "the Green Coast".

23 hours ago, peadar1987 said:

The highest point of the mountain range to the west of the KSC has often been called K2. The highest point on Kerbin (somewhere near the edge of the polar ice cap I believe) has been christened Mount Kraken.

How about naming the highest mountain on Kerbin "Mount Kerman", after an explorer with the surname "Kerman" who first conquered it? This would prove the fact that most Kerbal Explorers came from the Kerman family, even before the space age when Kerbin itself was the object of exploration.

K2 could be called "Brungnai" in the Taheirean language, the language of Taheiraz, the country in which it will be located in my fictious stories and cinematics (anybody who participated in the old KSP RP will know why I named the mountain country so). After all, the new KGS will also invent countries which then will be fleshed out cooperatively to create a new canon which could be used in stories and cinematics.

I think that Medwedia (which will be located in the northeastern part of the continent north of Kafrica in my stories), my personal fictional country, will also sport some of the highest peaks on Kerbin.

48 minutes ago, W. Kerman said:

Quoted you to get your attention, what should that island in the impact crater be called?

Centris? Or maybe Karatoa?

I would recommend for a map of all countries on Kerbin to be created first so that we will know the various languages and the areas in which they are spoken.

On 09.08.2016. at 10:22 PM, peadar1987 said:

The highest point of the mountain range to the west of the KSC has often been called K2. The highest point on Kerbin (somewhere near the edge of the polar ice cap I believe) has been christened Mount Kraken.

I've personally called it Mount Keverest, but i can take that name.

And one thing, i see no darn Kadagascar! Maybe the islands off the coast could be an analog?

We should actually invent new names, not just add K's to real world location names. No Kerverest, no Kadagascar. The only exception being Kafrica (although only temporary).

I imagine that there are two or three small fishing towns on the islands and that they are otherwise completely barren.

True, but that name was from a challenge I posted when I first logged into this forum in 2014.

Oh, and just the thought of new exciting settlements on Kerbin just keeps fueling my brain with ideas of geographical mods like KerbinCity.

Edited by Candlelight

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.