Kerbin Decathlon Summer Event

Kerbin Decathlon Summer Event!

The following 10 events are designed as tests and stretches of what kerbals can do!

The following rules apply to all the events:

1. You may not use any of the hacks or cheats.

2. You must use stock KSP (No mods, not Kerbal engineer, not FAR nothing!)

1. Sub note you may use a custom flag for your crafts

1. Max ship size is 255 parts for all events

And here are the events!

1. High Jump – Using just one flea for propulsion, reach the highest height you can, while returning intact to the surface of kerbin. No ejection stages allowed – F3 on landing to determine max height. Parachutes are allowed, you may use any probe core.

2. Long Jump – Using just one flea again, and just the stayputnik probe core (no sas/rcs control) reach the furthest ground distance covered from the launch and land intact. You may land in water, and parachutes are definitely allowed. Again, no ejection stages allowed and F3 on landing to determine max ground distance covered. Aerodynamic parts are allowed but realize without SAS that might be tricky!

3. Runway Dash – Reach the end of the runway (starting on the runway) without going airborne in the fastest time. You must stop before the end of the runway, ending between the number 27 and the end of the runway at the stop. Any combination of parts are allowed here, just no leaving the ground and no going over 255 parts.

4. Shot Put – Using only decouplers and a probe core (launch platform must be stuck to the ground with launch clamps and be static – no moving parts) reach the furthest distance you can in ground distance covered. The probe core must land intact.

5. Heavy Lifting – Put the largest mass object you can into valid kerbin orbit. Orbit must be at least 70 km and be a stable orbit. You may not leave kerbin's SoI or enter Minmus or Mun SoI. Mass is determined by the total mass of the ship once it is in stable orbit.

6. Air Height Event – Using only air breathing engines reach the max height you can, max 255 parts and must land intact. You may jettison parts along the way but no rcs or any thing other than pure air breathing engines (No rockets, solid boosters or rapiers)

7. Javilin – Using only 5 liquid fuel (use a mk 0 liquid fuel tank and reduce it to 5 liquid fuel) and no other fuel reach the furthest distance from the KCS as you can, landing intact. Landing in water is fine. No using decouplers to push the distance or leave craft behind. Parachutes are allowed. You'll be surprised how far you can go on 5 liquid fuel!!!

8. Marathon – Using only a single Z-400 battery and carrying 3 kerbals make as many laps as possible around the KSC. You must start on the runway and leave the runway going west. Once you are off the sloped area you may go either direction around the KSC. A lap is considered complete once you pass the west end of the runway again. You may not go up any of the slopes around the KSC. No using any other fuel, no using RTGs, solar panels or fuel cells. Any probe cores or craft parts used must be emptied of electrical current. Total starting current must be 400, from the battery alone.

9. Speed Swimming – Reach the runway island – you do not have to actually get on to the runway, just touch land. You may not go airborne and must start from the runway. You may use up to 255 parts in any way you want as long as you do not go airborne and go into the water to get there.

10. Archery – Launching from the launch pad land as close as you can to the black monolith near the KSC. Note you can see this thing from the main KSC screen it is just to the north of the runway. You may only use solid rocket boosters and may only use the stayputnik, no SAS/RCS control allowed. You must land the probe intact. You may use decouplers and parachutes. Closest to the monolith for victory! (I expect to see someone who landed on the monolith to be honest!)

And that is the 10 events! Feel free to post your results! Screen shots encouraged with the F3 results.

As a side contest try to come up with your own flags for the event! Get creative and have fun!

Good luck in your kerbal events this summer! Hope to see some great results!

I will start on these events myself on KSPTV on Thursday morning at 11 AM EST!

Hope to see you there and hope to see some great entries! :D

Oh for Pete's sake I have KER installed - I am the Russian team, feel free to DQ me

Long Jump (58+ KM)  

High Jump (No launch clamps because that's exploit-y)

RyL3hLH.png

lyf4dOd.png

(ignore the fact that it's laying on its side)

Javelin 5 LF only - 97880m

AwEK26T.png

E1exd98.png

Swimming (really slow at 00:12:23 - there were many donuts)

MesvTPj.png

Edited by Gojira1000

Okay did events 1, 2 and 6 on KSPTV today!

Here are the results!

1. High Jump - Discovered the key is to use a fairing instead of a nose cone for the cap, turns out that more than doubles your potential height for those looking for a trick or two!

http://imgur.com/k1Kt2Pc

2. Long Jump - Ended up launching from the runway, turns out the glide is the important part. The landing happened totally uncontrolled due to lack of battery but my trick was I used the trim function (hold alt and then the direction and it changes the default pointing)

http://imgur.com/vbC77cX

3. Air Event - Trick here is to get the highest speed you can. I actually hit 165+ but that required using multiple decouplers at full thrust so this launch actually used only one decoupler set to below 5% disconnect.

http://imgur.com/IOtOVBF

Note that I used terminal velocity to make reentry better/easier.

Hit 1400k+ on departure. Trick is to figure out how to mitigate heat. I actually had several parts blow up on the way! But success anyway!

Edited by TheReadPanda

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.