Reflecting on the past: The old Mk1 cockpit

HafCoJoe

I want to take a moment and appreciate the old sci-fi concept plane cockpit we used to have up until 0.25 as well as it's cleaned up version by the summer intern Hugo which we had up until v1.1 when it was revamped by @Porkjet for a sleek private-jet style and happily received :). A lot of us can agree that it needed a new face, but there still is a certain demeanor to it's original design.

pcpjE1C.pngUX6tVeM.png?1

Sometimes it's nice to appreciate what we've come from. If you guys like this sort of thing I might do more of these on occasion. Ta ta for now.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

Never really liked it, myself.  Seemed like a Kerbal's head would never fit inside of it or they'd be all hunched over due to ~enormous forehead~ and unable to raise their eyes up enough to actually see out...  The disconnect was too much.

4 minutes ago, regex said:

Never really liked it, myself.  Seemed like a Kerbal's head would never fit inside of it or they'd be all hunched over due to ~enormous forehead~ and unable to raise their eyes up enough to actually see out...  The disconnect was too much.

yeah... the position of Kerbal's eyes on their enormous heads would make it difficult to see out of anything that's angled like that. It suits well for side facing and steeper angled windows though. The new redesign makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

12 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Yeah, I do kind of miss those racing stripes but like regex said, no head room.

I've been thinking of trying out how four black stripes would look on the front of the new cockpit... I might experiment with that later.

I don't think the 2nd Generation Mk1 was made by PorkJet.  There was an intern that made a few parts just after PorkJet was brought into Squad (I don't remember his name).  PorkJet was still busy tweaking the Mk2 at the time.

Generation 1 - Chad Jenkins aka @C7Studios

Generation 2 - Hugo

Generation 3 - @Porkjet

There was a Mk3 cockpit he started on too but I think it got scrapped before making it into the game.

Edited by Alshain

3 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I don't think the 2nd Generation Mk1 was made by PorkJet.  There was an intern that made a few parts just after PorkJet was brought into Squad (I don't remember his name).  PorkJet was still busy tweaking the Mk2 at the time.

Generation 1 - Chad Jenkins aka @C7Studios

Generation 2 - Intern

Generation 3 - @Porkjet

There was a Mk3 cockpit he started on too but I think it got scrapped before making it into the game.

Ah many thanks - I forgot Hugo made that model.I recall the new Mk3 cockpit he made :D it was fun to look at for a while :)

I actually liked the leftmost one the best, and don't know why it needed changing.

1 minute ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Ah many thanks - I forgot Hugo made that model.I recall the new Mk3 cockpit he made :D it was fun to look at for a while :)

Any pics of it?  I probably missed it.  I skipped a bunch of KSP versions.

7 minutes ago, Corona688 said:

I actually liked the leftmost one the best, and don't know why it needed changing.

Any pics of it?  I probably missed it.  I skipped a bunch of KSP versions.

Yep :) The formatting in the original daily kerbal post is messed up but here it is:

tumblr_inline_nadgl16XYm1rr2wit.jpg

Just now, Avera9eJoe said:

Yep :) The formatting in the original daily kerbal post is messed up but here it is:

Lol, I was looking too.  But I was searching in the tumblr cause I thought it would be easier to find.  You win!

Edited by Alshain

46 minutes ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Ok it's been a LONG time since I've played a version prior to .90, but that is not the mk3 cockpit I played with when I first started.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

I personally wish they'd eventually make a single-kerbal MK2 cockpit based off the old MK1, but with the modern textures/styling of Porkjet's parts. It'd be a neat way to enhance the look of single-pilot planes and SSTOs using the MK2 framework.

The old one looked pretty bad IMO. And the new one looks good only on, well... Something that resembles a private jet.

I'd rather have a cockpit that looks similar to X-1 instead (or both) except with maybe additional windows below the kerbal's feet, just so it's easier to see the ground when landing (though it wouldn't look fun reentering the atmosphere glass first).

I don't like canopies that stick out of the overall outline of the cockpit section. The distinct bump looks anti-aerodynamic. IMO the new one is much better for a civilian (space)plane as befits stock KSP, but it would be really nice to be able to paint stripes and things on our craft.

1 hour ago, ScriptKitt3h said:

I personally wish they'd eventually make a single-kerbal MK2 cockpit based off the old MK1, but with the modern textures/styling of Porkjet's parts. It'd be a neat way to enhance the look of single-pilot planes and SSTOs using the MK2 framework.

The Mk2 Expansion mod has one that adapts between Mk1 at the front and Mk2 at the rear with a single pilot, if you'd be interested and didn't happen to know. It is in the style of the current Mk2 though.

Edited by Guest

Haha, wow, it's weird seeing a (modified) comparison shot that I made over 2 years ago being dug up now! I posted the original image in this reddit thread.

I prefer the art style of the new cockpit but like the design of the old one. IMO something like the MK1 cockpit from Ven's Stock Revamp (link) would be pretty cool.

28 minutes ago, SpacedCowboy said:

Sometimes I wish we had a choice of the old MK-1, 2 , or 3 or the new ones. All of 'em in stock! ( One can only dream )

There was a mod for that, it hasn't been update for the latest version unfortunately.  I'm not sure that it really needs to be updated, but it will need to be once PorkJet's rocket revamps get added in.

6 hours ago, String Witch said:

I don't like canopies that stick out of the overall outline of the cockpit section. The distinct bump looks anti-aerodynamic. IMO the new one is much better for a civilian (space)plane as befits stock KSP, but it would be really nice to be able to paint stripes and things on our craft.

The Mk2 Expansion mod has one that adapts between Mk1 at the front and Mk2 at the rear with a single pilot, if you'd be interested and didn't happen to know. It is in the style of the current Mk2 though.

Yeah, I'm hoping at some point down the line SQUAD would consider adding one similar to a mix of the 2 single-kerbal MK2 "pointy" cockpits from that mod, since plenty of people would like a nice SSTO/Spaceplane-optimized MK2 single-seat cockpit that doesn't require clipping a MK1 inline into a fuselage piece (which looks decent, but can be pretty draggy sometimes and/or invite heating issues).

Boy, the old mk1 cockpit was ugly. Sorry, it had to be said. It didn't fit into my ships' profiles, and I was a newbie not enjoying all of this IVA when they made the change. 

But... It did look better on fighters, or at lease on crazed stock fighters I was making.

Also, does anyone know a way to make a Mk 3 cockpit nose cone that looks nice while not using part clipping?

8 hours ago, W. Kerman said:

Boy, the old mk1 cockpit was ugly. Sorry, it had to be said. It didn't fit into my ships' profiles, and I was a newbie not enjoying all of this IVA when they made the change. 

But... It did look better on fighters, or at lease on crazed stock fighters I was making.

Also, does anyone know a way to make a Mk 3 cockpit nose cone that looks nice while not using part clipping?

IMO a shielded docking port looks best there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.