You know you played KSP too long when...

Magzimum

You know you played KSP too long when:

1...your KerbalX files are downloaded seconds after upload.
2...you look up at the stars and wonder which one is most like Kerbol.
3...the prospect of a real life, interplanetary space-race is so exciting to you that you jump out of your seat shouting expletives triumphantly at nothing like "IT'S ABOUT TIME!!!"
4...Elon Musk putting a car in space doesn't even phase you because he's so 2014. :lol:
5...you're using KerbalX as an example of and explain Murphy's Law in action.
6...you speak ill of new blockbuster games because they involve no space travel you can directly control.
7...you're naming off more reasons why you know you've played too long the more you think about it.
8...you're actually considering taking a break from "all this math!" that you barely even eyeballed.
9...you considered quitting a while, but kept the game running just in case you didn't decide to quit.
10...you just can't quit because you almost nailed it last time!
11...every kerbal and craft has a complete name, temperment and un-/lightly/fully fabricated histories.
12...people ask you "what did you do today," and the first thing that spills out of your mouth is something like "Oh, I put a few relay satellites in high orbit of the moon so I could set up a refinery by the Armstrong memorial. Small potatoes, really. The base is going to be a monster! If I don't use the right...." blahblahblah.... blahblahBLAHblahblah. Then you finally stop to realize your friend hasn't been listening since "relay satellites." They usually answer though: "That's a game, right?"
13...you actually stopped for >5 minutes to read this whole post and hate yourself for a little more for procrastinating that awesome thing you were working on earlier.
14...you hate me a little more for pointing that out.
15...you want to play KSP to get over the trauma.
16...you could probably do this all day. LOL

On 5/31/2018 at 10:13 AM, Fraston said:

I just multiply the meters per second by 3 to get miles per hour. I’m so lazy. 

:P

Yeah, I wouldn't.  It's certainly not close enough.  You'd be closer doubling it.

Screenshotat20180601.png

My buttons that are most used (by how much junk surrounding them) are: f3 (I’m on Mac so I change windows with it) f11 (volume down) f12 (volume up) 6 (take screenshot to steam) ctrl+s (take screenshot to Mac) WASDEQ (move ship) x (delete object in besiege) esc (pause)

Well, I have not played KSP for a long time, but I have been playing it intensively for the past few days....

So much that when I installed Wings3D yesterday, I tried to timewarp to quicken the installation... :D

On 6/3/2018 at 5:50 PM, Ho Lam Kerman said:

You simply know you play too much KSP when your keyboard looks like this:

PqauJ1d.jpg

(The PDF for the paper, free for download, is on reddit. It doesn't hinder typing in the slightest.)

That is awesome, but it makes me think: How long until some genius figures away to turn keyboard keys into tiny LED/LCD screens, or some other way to change the appearance of the key to reflect what function it will perform in a given program. One application would be to make it look like that picture, another would change the label on each key when, say, ctrl is pressed. Every game or app could change the keys to show its function.

I know this could be done by turning the keyboard in to a big touchscreen, but some people like to touch-type, while others like the tactile feedback of pressing a key. I know some modern touchscreens can guve tactile feedback...

4 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That is awesome, but it makes me think: How long until some genius figures away to turn keyboard keys into tiny LED/LCD screens, or some other way to change the appearance of the key to reflect what function it will perform in a given program. One application would be to make it look like that picture, another would change the label on each key when, say, ctrl is pressed. Every game or app could change the keys to show its function.

I know this could be done by turning the keyboard in to a big touchscreen, but some people like to touch-type, while others like the tactile feedback of pressing a key. I know some modern touchscreens can guve tactile feedback...

That would be really cool!

On 6/4/2018 at 1:50 AM, Ho Lam Kerman said:

PqauJ1d.jpg

(The PDF for the paper, free for download, is on reddit. It doesn't hinder typing in the slightest.)

They forgot timewarp+ and timewarp— though :P

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/10/2018 at 9:24 PM, StrandedonEarth said:

There are some keyboards that have keys that do that! I don’t think there’s any that do the whole keyboard though. That would definitely be awesome

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/29/2018 at 3:02 PM, RealKerbal3x said:

When you make up backstories for your Kerbonauts.

I even think about my space program choices, wondering how I can make my Kerbals’ lives just a bit better. (I don’t even play in career LOL!)

I flesh out backstories very thoroughly.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:50 PM, Ho Lam Kerman said:

PqauJ1d.jpg

Thank you for showing us this masterpiece of a keyboard.

Can we get a link to said Reddit page?

I'll take a look at my internet history to find it. I'll link it when I do.

The PDF is for AWERTY keyboard though, you'll have to manually rearrange the keys. That's why the "throttle up" button looks wonky- it wasn't made for QWERTY keyboard.

Edit: Found it with a little bit of searching my internet history. Here it is, go down a bit into the comments to find download links to PDFs: https://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/7x2q49/just_finished_my_custom_ksp_keyboard/

Edited by Ho Lam Kerman

When you realise five minutes into the flight that the SAS hasn't been on—instead you were subconsciously making corrections yourself.

When, once you do turn SAS on, you turn it off again because you were doing a better job. Seriously, SAS needs more derivative weight.

When you remember that one version where the stock SAS was better than MechJeb's SmartA.S.S.

When you call most of the engines by their model number instead of their newfangled name. (Exceptions for me are the NASA engines, the 2m Rockomax engines (because they've always been Poodle/Skipper/Mainsail to me), and the Thud radial rocket (because I almost never use it).)