[1.1.3] JetSounds: Jet Sound Replacement Mod [Updated 8/21/16]

JeanTheDragon

ok0Rkpc.jpg

Simply put, JetSounds is a sound replacement patch that works in conjunction with Sarbian's ModuleManager to replace stock jet engine sounds with that of their real life counterparts. This mod includes custom-made startup, shutdown, idle, and running sound effects for each engine.

List of New Sounds:

• J-20 "Juno"               > Garrett TFE731
  • J-33 "Wheesley"       > CFM International CFM56
  • J-90 "Goliath"            > General Electric GE90
  • J-404 "Panther"         > General Electric GE404
  • J-X4 "Whiplash"        > Rolls Royce Olympus
  • R.A.P.I.E.R                > W.I.P

Demo:

Installation:

Simply extract the GameData folder into your KSP_win or KSP_osx folder and overwrite the files as necessary.

Download:

SpaceDock

Known Issues:

• I'm still working on grabbing soundfiles for the R.A.P.I.E.R. engine, so it currently remains unchanged.
  • Startup and Shutdown sound effects are a bit wonky in terms of volume.
  • Switching modes on the J-404 "Panther" causes startup and shutdown sound effects to play. Not sure how I'll fix this yet, but I'll fix it eventually! :huh:
  • Engine spool times are somewhat faster than before. This was done on purpose because it's more realistic, and it certainly sounds better.
  • Smoke trails are absent. This was a result of the somewhat rough code I used in the soundconfigs, and was unintentional. I plan on adding them back once I smooth out the code.
  • Usage with particle-replacement mods like RealPlume causes the sounds and/or effects to break. I'm trying to resolve this ASAP.

Making this work with 1.2+

Future Plans:

• Add sounds to the R.A.P.I.E.R.
  • Streamline Patch Code
  • IVA Sounds? (May take a while; I might make a separate mod for this one)
  • Incorporate Sound Plugins, like Firespitter and the like
  • Work on sounds for other mods?

Changelog:

Spoiler

-Audio Tweaks for the J-33 "Wheesley" and J-X4 "Whiplash"

-Adjusted Patch Code to try and avoid conflict with other mods, like RealPlume and others. Thanks to forum user Falco01 for pointing this out.

-Official Release

License:

This mod is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International licence.

This being my first mod, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Let me know what you think so I can improve upon it!

Why no attention to this? This is awesome. 

One request is can you add a few more sounds like the effects of pressurization? Especially in IVA? This specifically stems from my experience in FSX... 

Either way, great mod, will download. If you need help managing it, let me know. I can't mod but I can do anything else.

Well the jet sounds are real nice but it seems not working in my game. I've installed the ModuleManager so maybe the patch has some kind of problem or did it requires any other plugins?

4 hours ago, MMG said:

Well the jet sounds are real nice but it seems not working in my game. I've installed the ModuleManager so maybe the patch has some kind of problem or did it requires any other plugins?

Where did you put the downloaded file?

13 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Why no attention to this? This is awesome. 

One request is can you add a few more sounds like the effects of pressurization? Especially in IVA? This specifically stems from my experience in FSX... 

Either way, great mod, will download. If you need help managing it, let me know. I can't mod but I can do anything else.

Why no attention? It's less than a day old! :wink:

There are / were other mods that added various atmospheric (in both senses of the word) sounds -- I think they're being worked on as well.

Edited by Beetlecat

When starting the simulation, please open the debug window (MODIFIER+F2) and look for something like "Can't play a disabled audio source" or something else with audio. There's a bug in the audio system since 1.1 and it could be the audio system refusing to play the new samples.

31 minutes ago, Azimech said:

When starting the simulation, please open the debug window (MODIFIER+F2) and look for something like "Can't play a disabled audio source" or something else with audio. There's a bug in the audio system since 1.1 and it could be the audio system refusing to play the new samples.

Bingo. That was it. Logs: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwZHDX3K4KIudGFoc0gza2gyOHc https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwZHDX3K4KIub0RhSGlESllTMVE

On 11/08/2016 at 11:04 AM, Kdoge20 said:

i have 1.0.5 for some reason it doesn't work on 1.0.5 because incompatible with 1.1.3 mods i had to edit to make work again how i edit to work in 1.0.5 of ksp?

Well update the game on steam or get the real game instead of a pirated version

when mod is in game data folder it mutes all sounds ;.;

1 hour ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Great! Now what's the fix?

It's a stock bug, there isn't any (yet).

@Claw I've made a bug report about this a while back, is there a chance this bug could get a little bit attention?

Everyone:

Seems the bug exists on windows, If someone is running Linux or OSX and having the same problem, please provide logs as well.

Edited by Azimech

I have KSP 1.1.2 installed, and even though this is made for 1.1.3 it works like a charm!

Really, REALLY, good mod. I've been looking for jet engine sounds for a long time, and this is it! Good job and good luck with modding :)

13 hours ago, Enceos said:

@JeanTheDragon Would be nice to have a vid demonstrating all the sounds, cause it's hard to decide just from description whether we need it.

Done! My apologies for not having it posted in the first place; OBS has been acting up on me recently, and it took some trial-and-error on the recording settings to finally get it to record clips properly, hence the delay.

On 8/11/2016 at 3:45 AM, ZooNamedGames said:

I'd like that, considering how nostalgic to me hearing the humming of the engines inside the plane. Is there going to be white noise on the plane like in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTm0zqlQ0Ls