Sound Barrier Rockets (SBR) - Rocket Season 7/4/17 - 2/28/18

One note -- if you are using PVC and a composite or metal nozzle, you may want to try edging/sawing fracture lines in the PVC so that if it does overpressure, it will unzip along one side neatly rather than going to shrapnel. And of course you'd need to do some destructive burst testing first, just to make sure the fracture lines work as intended.

• 1 month later...

Weekly update: Aug. 13-19

Sunday 8/13: ---

Monday 8/14: Set up SBR notebook, establish camera platform window in Cougar Mk1

Tuesday 8/15: Finalize design of F 1.5 engine

Wednesday 8/16: Establish camera platform base, design Cougar Mk1 nosecone

Thursday 8/17: Run simulations on F1 rocket, make weekly video

Friday 8/18: Finalize F2 engine design

Saturday: Build (test?) first F 1.5 engine, make weekly recap video

Notes: School started last week, so any daily progress will be small like the stuff listed above. Getting my school computer on Thursday, so I'll be uploading videos to Youtube and making more visuals. Stay tuned.

Update August 18

A few things will be delayed until further notice. I don't have the right stuff to bond the camera platform window and I probably won't have time to build the F 1.5 tomorrow. Also, since my school computer's a Chromebook and only runs on internet, it doesn't have Movie Maker (which I usually use for videos) and my home computer for some reason doesn't have it either. 

I will do my best to catch up!

But so far this week, I have set up the notebook, finalized the F 1.5 design, designed the Mk1 nosecone, and ran simulations on the F1 rocket. 

Stay tuned for later updates!

Weekly Update: Aug. 20-26

Sunday 8/20: research and come up with future missions

Monday 8/21: Observe solar eclipse (may not be able to sadly, schedule for Monday and Wednesday are a bit iffy)

Tuesday 8/22: make weekly video

Wednesday 8/23: --- (subject to change)

Thursday 8/24: research and early-design a liquid-fuel rocket

Friday 8/25: research and early-design a reentry nosecone

Saturday 8/26: make weekly recap

Note: all these events are subject to change because of my busy schedule with school and all.

Note: since I live in the south, it's been hot and humid the last few months and will continue to be the next couple weeks. Building and testing the F 1.5 motor really depends on how humid it is outside, the fuel is hygroscopic and won't work well with moisture in it. I hope you all understand!

-TRS

Edited by The Raging Sandwich

Update August 20

I've come up with some future missions that will be considered.

Spoiler
  • Stratospheric weather balloon: Launch a payload into the stratosphere using a weather balloon to test recovery of high-altitude payloads.
  • Rockoon: A small, lightweight rocket is carried into the stratosphere by a weather balloon and ignited once achieving adequate height.
  • Two-stage Cougar rocket: A first stage the size of a Cougar Mk2 (still in development) boosts a second stage smaller than a Cougar Mk1 into the air to be ignited
  • Cougar rocket with side boosters: A central Mk2 stage has 4 radial Mk1 side boosters to fall away once all their fuel is spent
  • Remote staging: A remotely guided two-stage Cougar rocket is flown. Once the first stage is spent, it is automatically separated by on-board electronics. Can be adapted for side boosters and parachutes. 

• 2 months later...
On 7/4/2017 at 12:07 PM, The Raging Sandwich said:

AmugZl0.png

From today to the end of February 2018, I'll be designing, testing, and hopefully launching SBR's first rockets. So far, I hope to:

• Build and static test the F-1.5 engine
  • Launch the F-1.5
  • Launch the Hornet 1 rocket with an F-1 engine
  • Start further production on the Cougar 1 rocket

I mean, this is cool and all, but you have never once replied to any of the people who were giving you sound advice about being sure you are on the correct side of the law, here. It starts to sound really suspicious that your main plan is to just not get noticed. (And in that case, posting about it on the internet isn't a great choice.)

Edited by mikegarrison

On 11/24/2016 at 8:25 PM, cantab said:

I vaguely remember an Australian who was working on building a cruise missile out of off-the-shelf components, as a "hey this is what a terrorist could do" kind of exercise, and indeed the authorities in Australia pretty much shut him down. So yeah, as always be aware of your local laws. My understanding is that even quite large model rockets can fly fine with just passive aerodynamic stability. Adding a control system is adding something else to go wrong - consider what would happen if it malfunctions and makes the rocket spin out of control, nosedive the ground, or fly sideways far further than intended.

Well he didn't exactly window dress the issue. The phrases  "building rocket" and "terrorist could do" might make some security people paranoid.

21 hours ago, mikegarrison said:

I mean, this is cool and all, but you have never once replied to any of the people who were giving you sound advice about being sure you are on the correct side of the law, here. It starts to sound really suspicious that your main plan is to just not get noticed. (And in that case, posting about it on the internet isn't a great choice.)

Check those airspaces. https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

If its over 1/2 a pound you have to register. YOu cannot operate within 5 miles of an airport (In general most airports have a glideslope that starts 2000feet 6 nm from the runway end. Craft can enter at multiple positions depending on ATC. I should say this, its probably never a good idea to fly anything over 2000 feet that is not in contact with traffic controllers.

It cannot be over 55 lbs in launch weight, and can never leave the line of sight (which means you might want to have a bright light).

- Public Law 112-95, Section 336 – Special Rule for Model Aircraft ----- FAA Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

23 hours ago, PB666 said:

Check those airspaces. https://www.faa.gov/uas/getting_started/

If its over 1/2 a pound you have to register. YOu cannot operate within 5 miles of an airport (In general most airports have a glideslope that starts 2000feet 6 nm from the runway end. Craft can enter at multiple positions depending on ATC. I should say this, its probably never a good idea to fly anything over 2000 feet that is not in contact with traffic controllers.

It cannot be over 55 lbs in launch weight, and can never leave the line of sight (which means you might want to have a bright light).

- Public Law 112-95, Section 336 – Special Rule for Model Aircraft ----- FAA Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

My facts may be wrong, but i think they got rid of registration for anything over .5 lbs (55 pound rule tho)

On 10/25/2017 at 12:38 AM, mikegarrison said:

Did I not? Welp. Just know that I probably won't be doing much of this stuff I said I would. And just because I didn't reply to suggestions doesn't mean I didn't take them into consideration. 'Cause I did.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.