NaN error...keep losing ships and bases. Help!

I've lost 3 ships and base today from a NaNs error that gives "NaN" results for altitude and makes the ships unplayable. When I go from Tracking Center and "Fly Ship" the ship starts to load, but just as all the orbit data is loading all of the orbital parameters (as shown by KER HUD) show up as NaN and the altimeter blanks out. According to the Kraken Wiki this is caused by:

"The NaN Kraken is a bug which can only be evoked if the orbits of celestial bodies are altered, via a mod or the alteration of the game's code"

I'm running mods, but not sure which would be causing this. Here are the mods that are either new or that mess with planets. I'm not sure if they're causing the problem, but if any of these are known to have Nan Kraken issues it would be good to know.

Here's my Log file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bfl7yl660t9kxnv/KSP.log?dl=0

Here's a link to a text file of my full mod list: https://www.dropbox.com/s/15z4crzmugb2w0p/tjtmodlist.txt?dl=0

--Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've lost 3 deep space probes that won't have launch windows for years, a base and I don't know what else I might lose.

--Thanks!

EDIT...I tried reloading a save from earlier today. when I loaded my probe I got the same issue where all orbital numbers showed NaN and the altimeter was blanked out. When I tried to quit the game it crashed to Desktop and I got this error from Windows:

Runtime Error

Program: C:\Games\KSP_1.1.3 August\KSP_x64.exe

R6025

- pure virtual function call

Edited by tjt

5 hours ago, Nakedchef said:

Hi, I can't exaclty tell you whats wrong.

But in your log file are a f**k ton of NaN failures related to solarpanels(approx. 180.000 lines of the 260.000 refer to that :) )

So if I where you I would start looking there.

Thanks for your reply! here's what the errors look like:

[ERR 22:37:18.706] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "solarPanels4/model/sunPivot/rotator/solarPanel4panels/panel2"

[ERR 22:37:18.707] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "solarPanels4/model/sunPivot/rotator/solarPanel4panels/panel2/panel3"

[ERR 22:37:18.707] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "solarPanels4/model/sunPivot/rotator/solarPanel4panels/panel2/panel3/panel4"

[ERR 22:37:18.708] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "solarPanels4/model/sunPivot/rotator/solarPanel4panels/panel2/panel3/panel4/pane5"

Any idea if those are related to the physical panel part of if they're related to the environment?

On 12/08/2016 at 11:20 PM, tjt said:

Thanks for your reply! here's what the errors look like:

[ERR 22:37:18.706] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "solarPanels4/model/sunPivot/rotator/solarPanel4panels/panel2"

[ERR 22:37:18.707] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "solarPanels4/model/sunPivot/rotator/solarPanel4panels/panel2/panel3"

[ERR 22:37:18.707] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "solarPanels4/model/sunPivot/rotator/solarPanel4panels/panel2/panel3/panel4"

[ERR 22:37:18.708] Infinity or NaN floating point numbers appear when calculating the transform matrix for a Collider. Scene hierarchy path "solarPanels4/model/sunPivot/rotator/solarPanel4panels/panel2/panel3/panel4/pane5"

Any idea if those are related to the physical panel part of if they're related to the environment?

That error is coming purely from the panels and nowhere else, what is so special about these panels? are they welded? have they been modded in some way?  Try deleting your PartDatabase.cfg in the ksp root folder, and restart.    Have you reported this before? If not someone else has had exactly the same problem with the same parts and recently.

Just had a look through your log and you really need to ensure ALL of the many plugins you are running are 1.1.3 versions and not any other version, right at the beginning of the log 'RCSBuildAidToolbar and KerKonConConExt are not loading correctly , you also have dozens of parts not loading correctly , missing modules , missing textures etc etc It looks like you've installed mods but not installed the mods they require to run alongside (dependencies)

and finally i must offer my congratulations it's been a while since i've seen a log with so many errors,  with a grand total of (believe it or not) 79578 errors.

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

@SpannerMonkey(smce) thanks for taking the time to look it over. I'm installing mods through CKAN and letting it install required dependencies. There are only a few exceptions like Stockalike Station Parts. You called out RCSBuildAidToolbar. If it's looking for Blizzy's toolbar that might throw an error because I'm not using Blizzy.

For parts...hmmm..I had Ven's installed early on, but decided to remove that. I know that it changed the solarpanel models. That may well be what caused those. Everything that broke - the station and the 3 probes - were built before I removed Vens. I haven't had a failure since that first spat.

I'll try deleting PartDatabase.cfg. Thanks for the advice!

Same issue here.

Edit, after removing several mods my stock craft was still bugging outside kerbin SOI. My guess is that SETI probe part mod installed via ckan has changed something on the way that solar panels worked (the error messages were solar panel related in the Squad folder and SETI is the only mod that changed the way panels worked). Therefore i am going to make a full reinstall of the game (fully removing the folder from steam), install less mods and make a few launchs on sandbox to test my theory later.

Deleting  PartDatabase.cfg didnt worked for me

Edited by Kadrush

• 2 weeks later...

There are a lot of very unhappy mods in that log, and that's only the summary log file. The main log file with the full error causes is:

C:\Games\KSP_1.1.3 August\KSP_x64_Data\output_log.txt

If you upload that one, it's likely to have more helpful information.
Among the issues:

• Kerbal Konstructs Contract Configurator can't find Kerbal Konstructs (possibly optional)
  • SCANsat can't find MechJeb (optional)
  • RCS Build Aid Toolbar appears to be out of date
  • SpaceY-Expanded's engine 5mR5 wasn't able to load one of its textures
  • Station Parts Expansion's 1.25m crewtube wasn't able to find one of its textures
  • MKS Lite's Saddle Tank wasn't able to find one of its textures
  • Better Science Labs Continued's crew fuselage wasn't able to find the Firespitter crew fuselage model
  • Various mods' parts weren't able to find KER/Protractor's BuildEngineer or FlightEngineer
  • Various Universal Storage parts weren't able to find the Wedge Science  Bay model
  • Contract Configurator had lots of holes blown in its setup, likely due to a bad/out of date additional config file from another mod.
  • MKS Light Globe wasn't able to create solar panel drag cubes.
  • [many more]

As a result of one or more of these issues, it appears that the Sun is missing. Solar panels don't like it when the sun is missing.

[EXC 22:07:07.262] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

Sun.SunlightEnabled (Boolean state)
    PSystemSetup.SetMainMenu ()
    PSystemSetup.OnLevelWasLoaded (Int32 level)

Each time you install a new mod, you should check if the log contains any of the following, listed in increasing severity: "[WRN" (warnings) "[ERR" (errors) or "[EXC" (exceptions). Searching for the word "exception" will often yield you the most serious errors. Exceptions often harm other mods that were working nearby when they happened, and the effects may not be obvious for some time, such as an exception during game startup not showing its effects until you try to dock.

On 9/1/2016 at 2:10 AM, pizzaoverhead said:

There are a lot of very unhappy mods in that log, and that's only the summary log file. The main log file with the full error causes is:

<SNIP>

Each time you install a new mod, you should check if the log contains any of the following, listed in increasing severity: "[WRN" (warnings) "[ERR" (errors) or "[EXC" (exceptions). Searching for the word "exception" will often yield you the most serious errors. Exceptions often harm other mods that were working nearby when they happened, and the effects may not be obvious for some time, such as an exception during game startup not showing its effects until you try to dock.

Wow, thanks for much for taking the time to break all of that out for me...Also for the tip on evaluating mods after I install them. I seem to have solved the problem with the NaN errors. that was likely because I had some solar panels from Vens Stock Revamp and then removed the mod because I was streamlining.  A number of other errors seem to be related to mods I'd tried out and then removed - like the Universal Storage line - I'm not even using that mod. It must have left something in the game after I removed the mod. I'll have to do some housecleaning.

Thanks again

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.