Ninja Death Mun

Benno

So, anyone care to explain the natural phenomena that results in this?

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-forma

It kind of moved as I did, so felt like it was a natural occurrence rather than a graphical glitch, but I'm at a bit of loss to explain it exactly.

The Mun is eclipsed as a giant Powdered Sugar Donut passes between it and Kerbol. Jeb says "the heck with Minmus and it's mint ice cream, I want THAT DONUT"

Edited by tjt

1 hour ago, Benno said:

Yes I am running scatterer and a few things. Perhaps that's it then. Or a doughnut.

Scatterer causes eclipses to be rendered. That looks like the Mun partway inside Kerbin's shadow. Do you recall if Kerbin was close to the sun at the time? It should do that every orbit when it passes behind Kerbin.

4 minutes ago, cubinator said:

Scatterer causes eclipses to be rendered. That looks like the Mun partway inside Kerbin's shadow. Do you recall if Kerbin was close to the sun at the time? It should do that every orbit when it passes behind Kerbin.

Yes, it was definitely related to Kerbin's position between the mun and the sun (sorry, should have mentioned that previously), and felt like an eclipse in that sense. But with an eclipse, wouldn't it be a dark circle (kerbin's shadow) on a lit up mun, rather than a light circle on a dark mun?

4 hours ago, Benno said:

Yes, it was definitely related to Kerbin's position between the mun and the sun (sorry, should have mentioned that previously), and felt like an eclipse in that sense. But with an eclipse, wouldn't it be a dark circle (kerbin's shadow) on a lit up mun, rather than a light circle on a dark mun?

You're forgetting that the Mun is much smaller than Kerbin, thus it is completely covered by Kerbin's shadow. What you saw was looking at it from the side as it comes out if the shadow. There, a small circle of the Mun is outside the shadow while the rest is inside. Try looking at Kerbin exactly half a Mun orbit later; you should see the small, diffuse shadow of the Mun passing over the surface.

3 hours ago, cubinator said:

You're forgetting that the Mun is much smaller than Kerbin, thus it is completely covered by Kerbin's shadow. What you saw was looking at it from the side as it comes out if the shadow. There, a small circle of the Mun is outside the shadow while the rest is inside. Try looking at Kerbin exactly half a Mun orbit later; you should see the small, diffuse shadow of the Mun passing over the surface.

Yep, I've confirmed that's what it is, i.e. the mun peeking out of the shadow of Kerbin's eclipse. I just happened to have another satellite in orbit and fast forwarded to the appropriate time, and replicated the effect. So, definitely NOT a scatterer bug, but a natural occurrence that happens once every Mun orbit. 

I love KSP. All these years and I'm still learning stuff. A quick follow up, here's a snap a little bit further in, where the mun has poked it's nose out a bit further:

F6B0BF03A5D775AD0591C3633D9FD6C4944A863A

After clarifying the intent of this thread with the OP (i.e. it's just a "hey, this is cool", not "hey, why am I getting a technical glitch"), looks like a better home for this is Add-on Discussions.  Moving.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.