How much does a kerbal EVA suit have delta v?

Certainly sufficient to attain orbit from Pol, so > ~150ish. The wiki suggests Minmus orbit can also be attained.

You may get better results over at the Gameplay Questions & Tutorials section.

edit: ooh, just noticed the wiki page linked above actually states 600m/s dv. So plenty enough to both land on and return to orbit around Minmus.

Edited by MiniMatt

The main trick to a Minmus surface sample return without landing your vehicle is sticking the ladder rendezvous at the end on your last wisps of EVA Prop.

Except for the first landing of my Minmus base, and SSTM tourism, almost all my crew transfers around Minmus have been via jetpack.

Because there is a base and 7-seater truck on the surface to recharge from, my Kerbals all get to transfer up and/or down from orbit with 55-60% fuel remaining, and occasionally carry a spare part up or down in their KIS backpack.

My very first Minmus landing (in my 1.0.4 campaign) was Jeb landing on his own when he became separated from his lander during an ill-judged EVA in pursuit of science points from the EVA report.   (Once I gave up trying to get back to the lander, I switched to it, aborted-to-orbit, then switched back and saw what I could do with Jeb and his EVA propellant.   He stuck a stand-up landing and planted a flag, and the lander made a once-around and picked him up.   And I was laughing like a maniac about it for hours.)

I am still waiting for the day that they make Kerbals consume monopropellant for their EVA packs.  It will place an interesting (to me) aspect of resource management on EVA use.  Sure, you might have enough Delta-V to do that EVA maneuver, but what happens when you can only do it so-many times?  

12 minutes ago, Fearless Son said:

I am still waiting for the day that they make Kerbals consume monopropellant for their EVA packs.  It will place an interesting (to me) aspect of resource management on EVA use.  Sure, you might have enough Delta-V to do that EVA maneuver, but what happens when you can only do it so-many times?  

I actually thought they already did, and that was why all the cockpits carry something like 15-30 mono propellant (I don't think they always have). I seem to remember reading something about that a while back. I've never paid attention to it though, so I'm not 100% sure. It's never been an issue for me.

2 minutes ago, Randox said:

I actually thought they already did, and that was why all the cockpits carry something like 15-30 mono propellant (I don't think they always have). I seem to remember reading something about that a while back. I've never paid attention to it though, so I'm not 100% sure. It's never been an issue for me.

They don't, but at one point they planned to, hence the inclusion in all command pods.  It's uncertain whether they'll follow through on that.

I recall they very briefly did, and kerbs on EVA displayed mono as their resource.  In which case, I'll bet a kerbal's dv is findable by their mass and the isp of an RCS block.  They've got I think 5 units of the stuff, but I don't remember if their mass goes down when burning like it should.

So it's either ln(kerb_mass/(kerb_mass-5u_mono))mono_Isp*g, or RCS_block_thrust*(5/RCS_block_flow)/kerb_mass.

3 hours ago, suicidejunkie said:

The main trick to a Minmus surface sample return without landing your vehicle is sticking the ladder rendezvous at the end on your last wisps of EVA Prop.

Except for the first landing of my Minmus base, and SSTM tourism, almost all my crew transfers around Minmus have been via jetpack.

Because there is a base and 7-seater truck on the surface to recharge from, my Kerbals all get to transfer up and/or down from orbit with 55-60% fuel remaining, and occasionally carry a spare part up or down in their KIS backpack.

I take it you've used the extended EVA tank then? Do you know how much dV that has/adds?

Yeah, about 600 m/s for a bare Kerbal with full EVA fuel. That is enough to:

Land and return to orbit on Gilly, Minmus, Bop, and Pol.

Land or launch to orbit on Ike and Dres. But not the round trip without a refuel.

Come soooooo close to making orbit from the Mun, and pretty close on Eeloo, but it's not quite enough. You can make orbit with a starting boost, for example if your lander still has 100 or even 50 m/s on board you can take off, bail out, and continue on the jetpack. You might even be able to make orbit by driving a fast rover off a ramp then bailing. Or you can get a suborbital trajectory and do a daring rescue with an orbiting craft. Starting from orbit you *might* be able to crash-land and survive.

The standard amount of EVA fuel is massless, so the normal rocket equation does not apply. However items carried using KIS do have mass and can significantly reduce your Kerbal EVA performance!

4 hours ago, Fearless Son said:

Very simple, works great.  Warning: leads to more stuck Kerbals and more entertaining rescues

18 hours ago, String Witch said:

I take it you've used the extended EVA tank then? Do you know how much dV that has/adds?

It has two refills worth, so your EVA Prop is effectively 3x.

I don't recall how the mass changes, but you should get at least twice the dV.

I haven't used the tank much; it is carried by a lot of Kerbals just in case of emergencies.  I did use it to extend my range and deploy a ground-based RT relay reasonably far from the mothership for assembly on Minmus, while still having enough propellant to return safely, but I use a rover for that now.

Carrying the parts from orbit was similarly a one-shot deal that I don't do anymore.  I didn't have to dip into the reserve tank, although I did run down to almost zero on the standard fuel by touchdown.  Its not worth the time once you've got a mining station up and running.

6 hours ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

This is incredible. Nobody has actually (well, aside from the large amount of useless spam that appeared here) replied to this thread yet.

600 m/s.

Yes, that is incredible,

On 12/08/2016 at 3:44 AM, MiniMatt said:

Certainly sufficient to attain orbit from Pol, so > ~150ish. The wiki suggests Minmus orbit can also be attained.

You may get better results over at the Gameplay Questions & Tutorials section.

edit: ooh, just noticed the wiki page linked above actually states 600m/s dv. So plenty enough to both land on and return to orbit around Minmus.

On 12/08/2016 at 7:51 AM, cantab said:

Yeah, about 600 m/s for a bare Kerbal with full EVA fuel. That is enough to:

Land and return to orbit on Gilly, Minmus, Bop, and Pol.

Land or launch to orbit on Ike and Dres. But not the round trip without a refuel.

Come soooooo close to making orbit from the Mun, and pretty close on Eeloo, but it's not quite enough. You can make orbit with a starting boost, for example if your lander still has 100 or even 50 m/s on board you can take off, bail out, and continue on the jetpack. You might even be able to make orbit by driving a fast rover off a ramp then bailing. Or you can get a suborbital trajectory and do a daring rescue with an orbiting craft. Starting from orbit you *might* be able to crash-land and survive.

The standard amount of EVA fuel is massless, so the normal rocket equation does not apply. However items carried using KIS do have mass and can significantly reduce your Kerbal EVA performance!

6 hours ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

This is incredible. Nobody has actually (well, aside from the large amount of useless spam that appeared here) replied to this thread yet.

While most  people's answered with enough to something kind of statement,  the #m/s answer is rigth in the secound post. 

Also while the answers may be a bit repetitive if we call that spam,  how to call the daily new help with rendezvous question? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.