What class is Dres

W. Kerman

Ran the mass in the asteroid class formula and got 26.6666... etc, hmmm.... hurricanes are cool and asteroids are cool, therefore the NOAA should have the final say on what class of asteroid should come after Z, 26.66666 is about 27 and the NOAA used greek alphabet letters after they had 26 hurricanes.............

I DECLARE DRES A CLASS ALPHA ASTEROID!

Standby, another one of my asteroid math posts incoming...

Asteroids/Dresteroids/Dres get bigger by 4.5x per class. A class 72 (I don't remember the letter) is hundreds of light years across, but that is not relevant. Dres is 321913220000000000 metric tons. 18 digits.

*after lots of math*

Dres is on the heavy side of a class V.

The heaviest a class V asteroid can be is 480346214000000000 tons.

Yay!

Edited by Ultimate Steve

6 hours ago, Ultimate Steve said:

Standby, another one of my asteroid math posts incoming...

Asteroids/Dresteroids/Dres get bigger by 4.5x per class. A class 72 (I don't remember the letter) is hundreds of light years across, but that is not relevant. Dres is 321913220000000000 metric tons. 18 digits.

*after lots of math*

Dres is on the heavy side of a class V.

The heaviest a class V asteroid can be is 480346214000000000 tons.

Yay!

Max mass for class V is 4.803*10^20
Dress weight is 3.219*10^20

Lets take the other smaller planets 
Eeloo weight 1.114*10^21
or class W who goes up to 2.161*10^21

Moho weight 2.526*10^21
Duna weight is 4.515*10^21 
or class X who goes up to 9.720*10^21

Class Y is up to 4.374*10^22 no planets in this group but Laythe and Tylo fits.
Class Z would be up to 1.968*10^23 and not only Kerbin but also Eve fits in. 

You all do realize that we're talking about a 1/10 scale solar system, right? All the planets, except perhaps Jool, can count as asteroids in the real world. That's not the standard by which we should measure Kerbol. So please don't hate on Dres.

Umm, no...

Planets aren't defined by mass. Even under the constraint that they need to be large enough to be in hydrostatic equlibirum, Kerbin's mass is 5.29 * 10^22 kg, compared to Ceres, the largest asteroid with a mas of 8.9*10^20 (ok, I'm seeing 2 values, but they are pretty close).

Also note that Ceres, like Pluto, is a Dwarf Planet... its the only asteroid that is also a Dwarf planet. The only difference between a dwarf planet and a planet is if it gravitationally dominates its orbit, which Kerbin does.

Also - Proportionately speaking, Dres is huge.

Earth: 5.97^10^24 kg

Kerbin: 5.29^10^22 kg... about 1% of Earth's mass

Ceres: 8.96  or 9.39 *10^20 kg

Dres: 3.29 *10^20 kg .... about 35% of Ceres' mass!!!!!!!!!!!!! If we fix the mass proportions such that kerbin=Earth, then Dres is proportionately over 35x bigger than Ceres!.

One thing that disappoints me about stock KSP, and even OPM, is the lack of bodies with really low gravity.

Only Gilly has a lower surface gravity than Ceres... and actually, ceres is pretty big

Edited by KerikBalm
1% of Kerbin's mass -> 1% of Earth's mass

ah, yup, stupid mistake. You get the point though. Proportionately speaking, Dres is huge and would be considered a planet by current definitions.

Its worth noting that Dres' orbit is much more eccentric that Ceres'

Ceres' eccentricity is only 0.076... which is actually quite circular.

Dres' eccentricity is 0.14.

Keep in min eccentricity is not-linear. I had tried to add Palas and Vesta analogues to the game such that their SMA/eccentricity/inclination/mass divided by the SMA/eccentricity/inclination/mass of their real world analogue was the same as the SMA/eccentricity/inclination/mass of dres divided by the SMA/eccentricity/inclination/mass of ceres.

Well, taking the eccentricity of Pallas (0.23) and nearly doubling it was not viable... it became a Jool crosser. Thats when I realized that while the inclination of Dres is reduced relative ot ceres, its eccentricity is strongly exaggerated (and so is its gravity and size, but that just came as a result of looking into ceres more).

Also note, Dres is 29% the radius of ceres, a far cry from 1/10th like the kerbin/earth ratio. Its surface gravity is 4x higher.

Dres is definitely a planet... definitely massive enough to gravitationally dominate its orbit.

A proper ceres analogue would be smaller than minmus with less than half the gravity of minmus (assuming surface gravity is held constant, as it is for the kerbin/earth pairing)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.