Testing The XF-85 Goblin

GraviTykillz

It's almost hard to believe that it's a real plane, because it looks totally like a cartoon plane!

A shame that the study for parasite planes was soon halted.

Thanks for the find. I've never seen any footage of the thing.

On 8/23/2016 at 4:34 AM, DDE said:

Not before the Soviets used them in WWII, though.

The soviets:

"Tovarisch, I put too many bombs on glorious TB-3 and now it can't take off.  I has idea though!  Put wittle planes on big one for more power!  The planes can protect it too!"

That was an actual thing.  Some stupid experimental bombloads needed  the extra fighters to take off on decent, normal runways.

31 minutes ago, Rath said:

That was an actual thing.  Some stupid experimental bombloads needed  the extra fighters to take off on decent, normal runways.

So, every time somebody opposes the flyback booster idea, I can point it to that?

gk175-1.jpg

2 hours ago, DDE said:

So, every time somebody opposes the flyback booster idea, I can point it to that?

gk175-1.jpg

Has been plenty of flyback booster plans including for the shuttle. 

Know Soviet used parasite fighters but not that they helped the plane take off. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zveno_project

Here is more details, plenty of weird stuff like the fighter on top of fuselage was so troublesome to get into position it was not released, later they tended to remove wings and tail on it and use it as an extra engine. They had another version who could dock in the air for refueling. 
I thought docking in air was only done operational with airships. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.