"Debunker" says Falcon 9 does not go into space.

Scotius

Watch and weep. Or laugh hysterically. This guy had me in stitches at: "Look at this! This rocket flies parallel to the ground. It's not going to space". Someone does not know how ascent and orbital mechanics work :) Also there is a "model" of Falcon 9 that you must see for yourself. Of course comments are disabled, so there is no way to tell this guy how dumb it is. So, yeah - just pure entertainment.

Comments are disabled of course. This guy might be a nut, but he's not stupid enough to let people with a bit of relevant knowledge rip his "masterpiece" apart. :) Still, it's interesting how this dude spreads the lies while accusing NASA, SpaceX and government of doing the same. Is it trolling? Lack of knowledge? Or is it a sign of mental problems?

Edited by Scotius
A typo.

4 minutes ago, Scotius said:

Comments are disabled of course. This guy might be a nut, but he's not stupid enough to let people with a bit of relevant knowledge rip his "masterpiece" apart. :) Still, it's interesting how this dude spreads the lies while accusing NASA, SpaceX and government of doing the same. Is it trolling? Lack of knowledge? Or is it a sign of mental problems?

He is paid troll, you can hear it in his voice.

Lol, who would pay for that? All the flat earth guys and those saying mankind never traveled to space are just insane, something is wrong in their heads. Simply ignore them, except they somehow get power, then fight them at any means...

1 hour ago, mythbusters844 said:

Who cares. Don't give them attention, you're just giving them what they want and increasing their view counter.

True, sometimes these can be entertaining though.

33 minutes ago, Elthy said:

Why would a competitor want people to think SpaceX isnt realy launching rockets? The people paying for satellites and stuff usualy know how that works.

Because SpaceX is not only company owned by Musk?
Because people are voting and some politician may try to get more votes by saying "I will support private sector in space exploration"?
Because more garbage about SpaceX makes harder to search real information about some unresolved cases, like this one accident when Falcon exploded?

Who cares. The guy is either a troll, willfully misinformed, a conspiracy theorist or a combination of all three. It's not worth arguing with any of those mindsets since small details like 'facts' and 'logic' rarely figure in the discussion and are almost never persuasive. Thank you for the link but I refuse to endorse it by watching.

The Flat Earth Society was one of the first internet communities I actually interacted with, maybe 10 or 15 years ago (oh, dial-up, how I miss you!)

Back then, they were actually quite nice. Wrong, obviously. Crazy, of course. But nice. They would actually have a debate with you. They would listen to your points, and actually try to respond with reasoned arguments. And if they didn't have a counterargument, many of them would actually admit it, and say they'd go away and have a think about what we were discussing, and how it might fit into their flat earth cosmology. I thought of them as entertaining but harmless eccentrics.

This more recent movement has morphed into one of the most toxic things I've seen on the internet. They spam legitimate science pages, they shout over people, they ignore counter-arguments, and shriek the same rubbish over and over again. And anyone who tries to debate with them gets ganged up on and abused with personal comments and vitriol.

One of the worst aspects of the internet is its ability to bring together large groups of horrible people and legitimise their opinions. In a pre-internet age, they would be fringe loners, but nowadays they can actually form pretty substantial movements. It makes me sad.

Weird... He has 500 likes and 492 dislikes on the video. The dumbness of our world is unbelievable. Someone once said that stupidity is the most widespread thing in the universe, aside from hydrogen. I think he's just a person who tries to get as many views as possible for no reason whatsoever.

Conspiracy belief is a pathology, I think. Arguing would be fun for the rest of us, but the conspiracy theorist would merely lump us in with the other "dupes of the conspiracy." Pretty much every conspiracy belief is identical. You can take the usual suspects (moon landing, JFK assassination, 9-11, etc, ad nauseum) and swap one belief for another and their arguments will be identical in form (with only the specifics changed).

4 hours ago, Elthy said:

Lol, who would pay for that? All the flat earth guys and those saying mankind never traveled to space are just insane, something is wrong in their heads. Simply ignore them, except they somehow get power, then fight them at any means...

Anyone part of an industry sponsored program who's business plan is proven dangerous to the general population by scientific fact.  In reality, he's almost certainly not: the unpaid voices are likely loud enough to drown out any "paid shill" attempts to make it not worth bothering about.  'It has long been known that I used to say to our audiences: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"'(Uptown Sinclair, 1935.  So the meat of the quote predates that).

There are also effects of mental illness that seem to help cause this.  I had a coworker who believed a large swath of weird beliefs: he was mainly passionate about the idea that cancer was cured in the 1970s [maybe 1980s] (mainly by vaccinations after the fact).  The existence of a single book was sufficient to throw him over the edge.  In most things, he seemed to do ok, but he was the type who needed to check snopes but didn't.  Eventually I figured that what was happening was that somehow the "BS detector" in his brain either occasionally failed, or for some reason the signal was ignored/missed by the part of the brain that sorts fact from fiction and the tails of the mis-sorts didn't really depend on how believable the original statement was.

There are a few other reasons people might have a passionate hatred for facts and science: the most obvious is religion (note that religion doesn't have quite the same source: religious belief typically stands on zero evidence while flat earthers and other anti-science types uprightly stand on negative evidence).  The few who give reasoned arguments (better than this guy) and likely to drag out the Michelson-Morley results are probably failed and frustrated scientists (way more grad school openings that openings in academia).  Finally the paid shills could well be fully qualified scientists who simply can't get funding (although there's plenty more money to be made in climate denialism and creationism), as well as PR flacks and other marketing types who professionally mislead the public.

Probably the worst part of his argument is that the space shuttle also crashed into the ocean... That would be 165,000lb (165 tons) crashing into the ocean, not to mention toxic chemicals used as onboard propellant. 

And for what? A cheap stunt? You could use the money and materials to create a dozen cars and feed the local homeless for a year or more. 

Being someone who owns part of Space Shuttle Endeavor/Atlantis and the Buran, that's my biggest offense taken.

You know what- I'll make my conspiracy theory. GogoGadgetZoo!

Edited by ZooNamedGames

The best thing that you can do is ignore these people, though they might get on your nerves.  They don't listen to logic, and no matter how well organized or thought out you counter-argument is, they will say that that is what "the government" wants you to believe.

On a side note, this can be really funny to read.  For example, google "moon landings", and read the comments on the youtube videos.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.