Just a little leopard

Leopard

New player on eggbox signing in, second week of playing and more or less fixed in career mode as I work out what does what and what is a bad idea.

made kerbin and mun orbit so far but no further, still with basic space centre so so going.

only frustration so far is trying to fly in EVA (less said the better) and the eggbox 'forgetting' the staging settings mid flight.

otherwise loving it

:)

Welcome to the forums, Leopard! It sounds like you're well on your way along the learning curve. I struggled with EVA maneuvering quite a bit also. There's a setting that automatically orients a Kerbal on EVA to the camera which is on by default. Personally, I find it easier when this setting is off.  You may wish to try EVA-ing that way to see if it's any easier. Good luck!

Well today saw a bit more, another revert following trying an EVA, simply couldn't get the controls to switch on at all this time so off Jeb floated. Giving up on that, figure its the eggbox interface thats the problem.

Otherwise, put a probe round Minmus, had a bit of fuel left so when a contract came up for science on the surface I managed to land it... Amazed myself that.

Manned Mun landings now have the 8th attempt in the hanger.

1st made the Mun, but not enough fuel to land

2nd was a larger lifter with a larger trans stage, that failed to get off the pad

3rd lifted but not to orbit

4th was a redesign, much smaller lander, got to the mun, not enough fuel to lift off though

5th & 6th got there, took off but lacked the fuel to get back

7th was on a nice return trip, yet another eggbox interface hiccup, couldn't get the thing out of time warp, thus the whole lot reentered.. bang.

probe flyby of Duma as well..

enjoyable, infuriating but enjoyable

Landing is easy...

mad mun lander eight demonstrated earlier landing upright is harder. No explosions and its pointing along an upwards slope so undecided if I should try to take off horizontally or try a rescue flight.

12 hours ago, Leopard said:

Landing is easy...

mad mun lander eight demonstrated earlier landing upright is harder. No explosions and its pointing along an upwards slope so undecided if I should try to take off horizontally or try a rescue flight.

This is KSP, for goshsakes. Save the game, and try both!

1 hour ago, Dman979 said:

This is KSP, for goshsakes. Save the game, and try both!

I never use quiacksaves.

If I fail I do a full restart. Not sure why, but just do.

Anyways, welcome @Leopard! It took me a good six months to get into orbit, you're doing a lot better than me!

Well I fired up ready to construct a rescue mission, to discover the crash hadn't been saved and fun lander #8 was on approach, a burst of thrust lifted it a bit so I could stabilise it then land, mission accomplished.

Of course that 'burst' means Jusla is now stuck in a highly eccentric orbit having run out of fuel, so its now a different rescue mission... similar but with more DV than the rescue mission needed for Valentina in fact.

Tug is currently in LKO waiting to try a rendezvous mission to try to nudge Valentina back to solid ground, if that works will try Jusla rescue

• 2 weeks later...

Making progress in the restart, slowly, between the game locking me out of KSC, randomising the staging info (or forgetting it totally), randomly forgetting how to make manoeuvre nodes, being unable to _exit_ time warp and a whole stack of other irritations.

Managed a Duna landing, of 'Soviet' proportions the amount of controls that failed trying to do it.

39 minutes ago, Leopard said:

Making progress in the restart, slowly, between the game locking me out of KSC, randomising the staging info (or forgetting it totally), randomly forgetting how to make manoeuvre nodes, being unable to _exit_ time warp and a whole stack of other irritations.

Managed a Duna landing, of 'Soviet' proportions the amount of controls that failed trying to do it.

Welcome to the KSP learning curve. It's [pretty steep, but man, oh man, is it satisfying to get over it. :)

Have a contract for Eve now.. not started to think on how though, thankfully not  'return' one so a probe will do it.

Just about got docking sorted, not efficiently but it works, and still having various memory related issues on the eggbox, deleting anything not currently being used seems to help though.

Not quiet up for Jool as yet... but will get there