So, I bought the steam controller a few weeks ago, and I've been getting used to it with Rocket League. All is going well, but I would also like to be able to use the controller on KSP, as it does work not only as an actual gamepad, but as kb+m too.

I'm aware there's already SC support, and when I turn on the controller, it notifies me in the top right on which mode I'm in (flight, menu, etc...), but it's just not working. Using the controller, it just uses what ever configuration I've set for my desktop controls. Has anyone had this issue? All I want to do is be able to fly planes and rockets with the controller, but I can't even get the game to recognise the analog stick as an input, rather, it just comes up as directional buttons (again, set by my desktop configuration).

Does anyone have any clue what's causing this, or how to fix it? I can provide logs or w/e you need.

1 minute ago, Deddly said:

Hi @Xenro66. I moved your post to Technical Support. Hope you get the help you need. Are you using mods? If so, let me know and I'll move it to the other tech support section.

Yeah, I'm using mods. I've tried removing them, but I still got the same results :L

1 minute ago, Xenro66 said:

Yeah, I'm using mods. I've tried removing them, but I still got the same results :L

Ok, then it's probably best to leave your request here in unmodded installs. All the best!

9 hours ago, sal_vager said:

Hi @Xenro66, are you in Steam big picture mode? The pad will default to basic controls when not using big picture.

I am indeed using big picture. Unfortunately, the controller doesn't like working with games with it not open, so I just keep it open in the background.

On 13/08/2016 at 8:59 AM, sal_vager said:

@Xenro66, are you using the beta version of the Steam client? It may not work with the version of CSteamworks.dll provided with KSP.

Apologies for my late reply. I'm not using the beta version of Steam. I've also since removed my mods and all that, but it's still not fully registering. 

The notification for the different control schemes are present, so KSP definitely knows there's a steam controller, but it's just not allowing me to actually control anything (outside of the regular desktop settings)93da6ea20087ddaf7bca8ad8add36a08.pngda04872c79388306e1b1d0f9ad972d84.png

The only other thing I can think to do is completely reinstall KSP, but that would take several hours :/

Edit: Wait.... Maybe it's because I'm in windowed borderless mode? I'll quickly restart KSP with it in full screen.
2nd Edit: Nah, it didn't help, unfortunately.

Edited by Xenro66

I don't think reinstalling will solve this so leave that as a last resort, I don't think borderless mode will do it either to be honest.

It seems to be a driver issue, maybe the Steam dll files from another game will work?

4 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

I don't think reinstalling will solve this so leave that as a last resort, I don't think borderless mode will do it either to be honest.

It seems to be a driver issue, maybe the Steam dll files from another game will work?

It shouldn't be a driver issue, or at least I'm hoping it's not. My controller works fine for other games, which is why I'm thinking it's just ksp locally. 

Which drivers should i try?

26 minutes ago, sal_vager said:

Sorry I mean the Steam files that come with KSP.

Beale has a similar issue and using another file helped for a bit, unfortunately I don't have one of these controllers to test it.

Does Steam let you create your own profile for KSP?

Ah right. Hmm, I'm verifying the cache right now, and it said 3 files failed to validate.

I'll relaunch the game and see if it made a difference.

Oh, and yeah, I can make my own profile for KSP. I'll also try that.

Edit: I've just tried creating my own profile (generic gamepad), and tried binding the analog stick to the pitch and roll axis, but I'm having no such luck. The game isn't switching from my Desktop config to the Gamepad config, and as such, the analog stick is acting as the arrow keys. If I try to rebind any of the keyboard keys, it works, but again, that's only using my Desktop config.

I feel that something is preventing steam from switching the controller mode.

Edited by Xenro66

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.