The ugliest thing you've ever put into orbit.

41 minutes ago, String Witch said:

That is the most beautiful craft I've ever seen. Now I feel the need to make something like this for the STS challenges.

What's that mod to show drag?

Is it not just F11 (or F12....)? Not sure it works with FAR though... but FAR isn't really the right option for people who want to build mad things like that :)

Be warned, it's an awkward design to take to orbit. Too big, to heavy, too many parts. Genuinely did handle well when empty, but butterflies do not go supersonic unless caught in a jet engine ^^;

I'd have to dig in my ancient collection from 1.0.2 times for some bad mistakes, but currently, I think the Ugly Duckling qualifies.

2z4BMJf.jpg

The airbrakes are for when the current crossbar is used up, it can pick another one up. They are quite handy - descend over the crossbar with airbrakes not deployed (and sticking to the sides like some kind of water skids), then deploy them and the craft aligns with the crossbar length-wise. Then just slide along it until the port engages. Also, the little thingies floating over the nose are a HUD for the pilot.

That's not mine, and it's on a little old version of KSP, but I found this on the unofficial Polish forum of KSP:

http://forum.kerbale.pl/statki-kosmiczne/flota-wahadlowcow-kondor/

2 posts below the OP in that thread I linked to you can see the rocket used to lift this!

Now this is called ugly!

They are actually quite functional things. Many ugly things are functional.

Edited by TheDestroyer111

On 8/25/2016 at 2:15 PM, TheDestroyer111 said:

That's not mine, and it's on a little old version of KSP, but I found this on the unofficial Polish forum of KSP:

http://forum.kerbale.pl/statki-kosmiczne/flota-wahadlowcow-kondor/

2 posts below the OP in that thread I linked to you can see the rocket used to lift this!

Now this is called ugly!

That crosses the line between making fun of yourself and calling somebody else's craft ugly.

I think I have a new contender... the Preghastly! Burning for Pregas from K-Plus Remade.

inbxKjP.jpg

To be fair, it looks a nightmare but it has precisely zero point zero kN of thrust torque and thus flies perfectly... Maybe it wasn't worth sacrificing the aesthetics for function in this case though :blush:

I recently decided to make a giant juice press hydrogen refinery with a certain mod, i took 12 solid rocket boosters around to drag it to Kerbin orbit, sadly this is the only pic of it at Ike.

ujE3xfg.png

The ugliest piece of glory kerbal engineering, i call it "Squisshie"...

Edited by Mikki

13 hours ago, Mikki said:

I recently decided to make a giant juice press hydrogen refinery with a certain mod, i took 12 solid rocket boosters around to drag it to Kerbin orbit, sadly this is the only pic of it at Ike.

ujE3xfg.png

The ugliest piece of glory kerbal engineering, i call it "Squisshie"...

Reminds me of the thing from The Incredibles

On 8/24/2016 at 2:00 PM, Slam_Jones said:

Really guys?  I wouldn't consider ANY of the ships posted so far to be ugly (in fact I'd be proud if I had designed at least a few of them posted here).  Mostly symmetrical, logical layouts for the most part, aerodynamic, etc.

However, if you really wanna see a rat's nest, then I present to you: Hobo Station (built it back in 0.90 I think)

IWZiKg9.jpg

No rhyme, no reason, no semblance of order.  The idea was just to get modules kind near each other, then use KAS to attach them together.

On half of em, I didn't even remove the upper stage.  Enabling SAS causes the whole thing to start oscillating and... well... pulsing.  If not for KJR it may have already ripped itself apart. 

Oh, and if I enable all the engines and activate them... well you see how they're all pointing different directions? :wink:

Edit: By the way, the purpose of this station was to see if it was more economical to forgo docking manuevers in favor of a rendezvous, then attachment via Kerbal.  I had thought that perhaps it would save weight on MonoProp, help the dV margins slightly, or otherwise make it all a little more efficient.  Long story short, it didn't.

Space Shanty town or a rebel base or even a criminal hideout

wait can it go to other planets or travel in space? 

4 hours ago, The_Rocketeer said:

@5thHorseman why not your asteroid glider? :0.0:

3 reasons:

1. That bad boy was a thing of beauty.
  2. It never was technically in orbit, if I recall. I'm pretty sure it went from flyby to suborbital in one glorious entry burn. Gotta love pre-1.0 aerodynamics.
  3. And in any case, I surely didn't launch it :)

10 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

3 reasons:

1. That bad boy was a thing of beauty.
  2. It never was technically in orbit, if I recall. I'm pretty sure it went from flyby to suborbital in one glorious entry burn. Gotta love pre-1.0 aerodynamics.
  3. And in any case, I surely didn't launch it :)

I feel a retro-fit coming on. :D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.