Boxed Version

1 hour ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Don't forget the upfront costs that need to be amortized. You have to pay a designer to create the artwork. You have to pay the higher ups to review and approve it. If it's a console version, it has to go through approval from the console people, and someone needs to pay attention to that. Suddenly you have a few thousand dollars' worth of cost to spread over an item that realistically can't be sold for more than a couple of dollars to a tiny niche market.

A better plan is to spread the distribution even further. Give the users the data that goes on the disc, let those that want them to create their own with hardware they already own at no additional cost to the company or the user! They can even pick the disc and case artwork they like best!

Retro gaming is a tiny, tiny niche market, and even that one isn't interested in newer games like KSP. It's a collectibles thing, the stuff is only valuable because it is rare. (I remember when Power Gloves came out, once a few were in the wild and people realized how awful they were stores couldn't give them away.)

Cool doesn't always equal profitable, unfortunately.

Anyone can create the artwork- in fact I'm certain the community would LOVE to help. So it's not like someone has to spend hundreds of man hours on it and as to reviewing it, Squad is a growing company but I don't see it having higher ups in big leather chairs with 30 of time in their day unaccounted for. I respect Squad's work; but they're not a huge company.

Giving them the data ends up with a risk of someone just giving it away as freeware. Far more damaging.

It isn't interested in KSP as it isn't retro, but it will be in time.

You think the PowerGlove couldn't sell? As bad as it was it still likely made more than Sega did with its Sega CD and Sega 32X addons for the Genesis (off topic I know :( ).

Edited by ZooNamedGames

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Giving them the data ends up with a risk of someone just giving it away as freeware. Far more damaging.

Are you kidding? They already give the data to every user.

3 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

You think the PowerGlove couldn't sell?  As bad as it was it still likely made more than Sega did with its Sega CD and Sega 32X addons for the Genesis (off topic I know :( ).

Yes, it was a flop. That's part of the reason they're in demand now, because so few of them were bought originally. Comparing it to another flop doesn't make it less of one.

11 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

Are you kidding? They already give the data to every user.

Yes, it was a flop. That's part of the reason they're in demand now, because so few of them were bought originally. Comparing it to another flop doesn't make it less of one.

Yes, but copying and giving it to others is (from my understanding) illegal.

They were both flops but I'm just pointing out that there were significantly larger ones. The PowerGlove goes for about $100 (noting a working one) whereas a Sega 32X can go for $20 or less (at a flea market likely $2.50) when it's original price tag was $150.

7 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

What every other game company does when they finish a title?

But to which game title are you referring? KSP, like Minecraft, is unlike most games in that development is going to be long duration with more content being released over time whereas most games release "DLCs" while the main game which is in it's complete state remains untouched.

2 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

But to which game title are you referring? KSP, like Minecraft, is unlike most games in that development is going to be long duration with more content being released over time whereas most games release "DLCs" while the main game which is in it's complete state remains untouched.

I disagree.  KSP very much feels like a game reaching it's completion.

21 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

You obviously don't know the retro gaming market. I bought a Nintendo PowerGlove and NES just to own. I could play emulators but that isn't the real experience. Owning something does not equal having it.

I know retro gaming. Civilization 1 feels much better when you run it on ancient 486sx with 4MB ram than when it's just in a doxbox window. But I got rid of most of my old computers, they were taking too much space in my home :)

The thing is - the PC is a PC. It doesn't matter if it's from 2001 or 2016. If I want to play a game from 2001, let's say, Freelancer, I'm not going to play it on Pentium III machine with Windows 98. Why would I? I already have a PC. And luckily, there are people who made mods that enable me to play Freelancer on modern operating systems (and also in HD). 

And the thing about CDs and DVDs... I have lots of games on disks. I also own them on Steam (sometimes I bought games more than once, just to have it available online). With fast internet connection, it's faster to download the game than to find it on a shelf :wink:

On 12/08/2016 at 11:15 PM, klesh said:

Did they (try to) make one not too long ago?  I suppose it was a limited edition one.  I don't think many people were interested, so few that it was never produced.

Yes, this here:

https://www.gamersedition.com/product/kerbal-space-program

That's quite expensive.

Posted in the comments regarding the fact the "game" part of this was a steam key, no disc:

They could put it on a re-writeable DVD and the owner can then update it at home! 

37 minutes ago, _stilgar_ said:

I know retro gaming. Civilization 1 feels much better when you run it on ancient 486sx with 4MB ram than when it's just in a doxbox window. But I got rid of most of my old computers, they were taking too much space in my home :)

The thing is - the PC is a PC. It doesn't matter if it's from 2001 or 2016. If I want to play a game from 2001, let's say, Freelancer, I'm not going to play it on Pentium III machine with Windows 98. Why would I? I already have a PC. And luckily, there are people who made mods that enable me to play Freelancer on modern operating systems (and also in HD). 

And the thing about CDs and DVDs... I have lots of games on disks. I also own them on Steam (sometimes I bought games more than once, just to have it available online). With fast internet connection, it's faster to download the game than to find it on a shelf :wink:

Issue is the older the program the less likely your Windows 10 5GHz computer can run it. It's not an issue of what your computer is capable of, but rather if it can understand such old langague. Older the game, the more likely you are to run into technical glitches and broken gameplay.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.