Kerbal Flight Simulator- Real Air Traffic Controllers And Flights

ZooNamedGames

I have been talking around to a few people and after some personal deliberation I have decided to go ahead and consider having a server where people can fly realistic aircraft routes and also be guided by Flight Controllers.

For more information go to http://kerbalflightsim.lefora.com/ for more information or the #KerbalFlightSim IRC channel.

My aim for this is to create a place where people who feel KSP is too empty without other aircraft or too chaotic without a sense of order can join and find a place that is a match between Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Kerbal Space Program. I don't want it to be overly complicated, but I want it realistic. Players will be able to take on contracts such as ferrying passengers on airline flights, or take on smaller ferries in simple aircraft (like how some people offer rides to people in Cessna's or Piper aircraft in real life). They can even carrying cargo to their destination.

If you approve of this idea then let me know, as I will build it up. The more people we see want to join the sooner this can be a thing :) .

We sadly will be running with mods- specifically these (also note it may change between now and when we start):

KSPIRC (for IRC communication where voice is not available).

Kerbinside Complete (full pack)

DMP

...I'll add to this as we go.

Edited by ZooNamedGames

I'd be interested in something like that, particularly with ATC and radio comms.  I've always been toying with the idea of throwing together some sectional/IFR charts for Kerbin, particularly with Kerbinside, but I have neither the resources nor the knowhow on how to do so.

20 minutes ago, Razor235 said:

I'd be interested in something like that, particularly with ATC and radio comms.  I've always been toying with the idea of throwing together some sectional/IFR charts for Kerbin, particularly with Kerbinside, but I have neither the resources nor the knowhow on how to do so.

Well I'll run it :) all you'll have to do is follow it, but any suggestions on things like that would be helpful.

Also you remind me of something I forgot to add.

Sounds interesting to me. Once enough users are using this server and the skies get crowded things get exciting...

I am, however, not aware how the ATC part should be implemented. Voice chat is crucial and not a problem but the overview required for the ATC would probably require some form of extracting the vessel movement out of KSP/DMP and present them in some form of map overview.

On a totally different note - what kind of runways/airports does Kerbinside actually provide? From what I saw in the screenshots on the mod forum topic it looks like some of those sites would need serious changes as some runways head directly into constructions (buildings,  launch pads, scenery, etc) Also, I didn't see a single runway with proper designation not to speak of proper markings...

23 minutes ago, something said:

Sounds interesting to me. Once enough users are using this server and the skies get crowded things get exciting...

I am, however, not aware how the ATC part should be implemented. Voice chat is crucial and not a problem but the overview required for the ATC would probably require some form of extracting the vessel movement out of KSP/DMP and present them in some form of map overview.

On a totally different note - what kind of runways/airports does Kerbinside actually provide? From what I saw in the screenshots on the mod forum topic it looks like some of those sites would need serious changes as some runways head directly into constructions (buildings,  launch pads, scenery, etc) Also, I didn't see a single runway with proper designation not to speak of proper markings...

Let us work on the mechanics and the rules. We'll make it realistic, but work with what we have as KKs is sadly all we have currently as far as it is. Just enjoy it :) .

Interesting idea. An addon for Kerbinside could be created which includes realistic runways and airport buildings.

Flying with passengers (maybe an addon that modifies career tourists?) could have its own handicaps - such as not being allowed to subject them to any forces past 1.5g.

Well, as a start Kerbinside may do to have some beta version running. If our goal is realism, though, we should get to gradually make things more realistic.

Do you have KSP modding experience @MedwedianPresident? I guess that would help in redesigning the Kerbinside Airfields. That or adding new facilities.

Anyways, the number of online users will be crucial as that figure will determine how far you can afford to spread the aircraft without things getting boring. I mean, if I never encounter other aircraft, why all this DMP thing? I can have that experience all alone.

Rules?  What kind of rules are you thinking off, @ZooNamedGames? Flight rules, game mechanics....?

It's a very interesting idea. Are you familiar with Flight Sim Economy?
I've often thought I'd like to see a FSE-type system working in KSP. It would be a way to have meaningful multiplayer, without requiring people to be online at the same time. But I lack the organizational and coding skills for the task.

As far as I get it FSE doesn't show the flights in operation, just the effects i.e. a plane appearing at a different airport?

From what I understood of DMP you have that feature as you do not need to reset your server. So, an aircraft flown to airport B will still be at airport B once you come back (unless somebody took it away). Furthermore, DMP lets you experience other users operating their crafts.

But I do agree, the FSE assignment system sounds interesting as it seems to make some sense from a logistical point of view. Much more sophisticated than just random "goto-commands"

(Please correct me of I am wrong)

17 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I have been talking around to a few people and after some personal deliberation I have decided to go ahead and consider having a server where people can fly realistic aircraft routes and also be guided by Flight Controllers.

My aim for this is to create a place where people who feel KSP is too empty without other aircraft or too chaotic without a sense of order can join and find a place that is a match between Microsoft Flight Simulator X (FSX) and Kerbal Space Program. I don't want it to be overly complicated, but I want it realistic. Players will be able to take on contracts such as ferrying passengers on airline flights, or take on smaller ferries in simple aircraft (like how some people offer rides to people in Cessna's or Piper aircraft in real life). They can even carrying cargo to their destination.

If you approve of this idea then let me know, as I will build it up. The more people we see want to join the sooner this can be a thing :) .

We sadly will be running with mods- specifically these (also note it may change between now and when we start):

KSPIRC (for IRC communication where voice is not available).

Kerbinside Complete (full pack)

DMP

...I'll add to this as we go.

Please add KAX, M2X, MoarMk1, and Airplane+

17 minutes ago, something said:

A huge number of mods might cause problems with cross mod interferences and it might also refrain people from getting "just another install" to do this or that. On the other hand, some nice aircraft parts might be nice as well...

I'll think on it. I might have a seperate server for for them.

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I might be interested after 1.2, but right now planes are just an annoyance.  Playing on a server dedicated to a broken aspect of the game doesn't sound like much fun.

If you can remind me when the last update was I can try to estimate when update might be based on previous release points and development.

Thats all I can do. Besides it'll take a while before this is setup and running fully anyway.

Just now, ZooNamedGames said:

If you can remind me when the last update was I can try to estimate when update might be based on previous release points and development.

Thats all I can do. Besides it'll take a while before this is setup and running fully anyway.

Oh, I can do that myself.  We are now in QA so I would expect if all goes well and assuming it's length is that of other releases, less than a month.  That is of course hoping that wheels do in fact get fixed, as we expect them to.

As far as mods go, IMO, there are very few good plane mods (that aren't redundant) and given that you want to concentrate on planes it may be a good idea to work with those, especially given that KSP has no stock prop parts. You could possibly even remove some of the rocket parts.  You could make a simple batch file to prune an installation of the unneeded stock parts and that would of course open memory for mods.

KAX and Firespitter would be essential, IMO.  Airplane plus is beautiful but I'm not convinced it is balanced just yet.  Of course since you are using KerbinSide you may take a look at GAP and KerbinSide GAP (based on your description you may already be considering those).

Take command is going to be necessary if you want to do ultralights.

A module manager patch could be used to make a custom plane-based tech tree if you plan on doing some sort of career mode.

12 minutes ago, Alshain said:

Oh, I can do that myself.  We are now in QA so I would expect if all goes well and assuming it's length is that of other releases, less than a month.  That is of course hoping that wheels do in fact get fixed, as we expect them to.

As far as mods go, IMO, there are very few good plane mods (that aren't redundant) and given that you want to concentrate on planes it may be a good idea to work with those, especially given that KSP has no stock prop parts. You could possibly even remove some of the rocket parts.  You could make a simple batch file to prune an installation of the unneeded stock parts and that would of course open memory for mods.

KAX and Firespitter would be essential, IMO.  Airplane plus is beautiful but I'm not convinced it is balanced just yet.  Of course since you are using KerbinSide you may take a look at GAP and KerbinSide GAP (based on your description you may already be considering those).

Take command is going to be necessary if you want to do ultralights.

A module manager patch could be used to make a custom plane-based tech tree if you plan on doing some sort of career mode.

Can you write the batch file?

If you guys really want to then fine I'll select some plane parts that I think that will fit the theme and scope.

I don't plan on career mode however again there is some serious planning as to how it'll work.

If you want to talk in a faster form PM me Steam/Skype/Discord info.

14 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Can you write the batch file?

I suppose so, it shouldn't be that hard if I know which parts you want to keep and which you want to lose.  After you get DMP set up to reject the parts you don't want, just shoot me the list.  This is of course assuming you are trying to restrict to airplanes/jets, and not spaceplanes (or other rocket planes).  I may be misreading your meaning.

It may not even be necessary but it would probably make the game load faster for those who wanted it.

14 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

I don't plan on career mode however again there is some serious planning as to how it'll work.

Ok, well I was a bit confused because you can't do contracts in sandbox and you had said contracts in the OP.

Edited by Alshain

20 minutes ago, Alshain said:

I suppose so, it shouldn't be that hard if I know which parts you want to keep and which you want to lose.  After you get DMP set up to reject the parts you don't want, just shoot me the list.  This is of course assuming you are trying to restrict to airplanes/jets, and not spaceplanes (or other rocket planes).  I may be misreading your meaning.

It may not even be necessary but it would probably make the game load faster for those who wanted it.

Ok, well I was a bit confused because you can't do contracts in sandbox and you had said contracts in the OP.

Well as to the server and all the details speak to @MK3424. He's the server owner. 

My plan is to only use air breathing engines. If you can set a pruner to remove anything that burns monopropellant, oxidizer or xenon.

6 minutes ago, ZooNamedGames said:

Well as to the server and all the details speak to @MK3424. He's the server owner. 

My plan is to only use air breathing engines. If you can set a pruner to remove anything that burns monopropellant, oxidizer or xenon.

Yeah, I could do that.