Hi, I'm new! A couple beginner questions...

classicaljazzman

On 13.8.2016 at 11:46 PM, classicaljazzman said:

How do I set a target point on my nav ball? It says I need to do an experiment in a certain area, but how do I aim for that place? Thanks!

Hello and welcome !

By choosing another vessel, flag, .... as target. For experiments the mod "Waypoint Manager" is a good thing (wouldn't play without). Try it, helps a lot in finding alls those "Kerman's Hollow Alpha/Beta/Gamma" places :-)

And i'm on the side of those who say Minmus is easier than Mun. The landers are lighter and more responsive, the launchers can be the same, and there is more time for corrections. That inclination thing is (almost) just a question of time ;-)

When you have pilots that can hold retrograde (after first orbit and tracking station tier 2 if i remember right) then landing on one of Minmus flats is easy (if you don't run into the landing leg bug ...). When landing near/on a target just chase the retrograde marker towards the target marker, don't worry, after a few F5/F9-combinations you'll get it.

Or take the offered help from the friendly collegue :-)

Edited by Green Baron

On 8/15/2016 at 3:37 PM, Green Baron said:

Hello and welcome !

By choosing another vessel, flag, .... as target. For experiments the mod "Waypoint Manager" is a good thing (wouldn't play without). Try it, helps a lot in finding alls those "Kerman's Hollow Alpha/Beta/Gamma" places :-)

And i'm on the side of those who say Minmus is easier than Mun. The landers are lighter and more responsive, the launchers can be the same, and there is more time for corrections. That inclination thing is (almost) just a question of time ;-)

When you have pilots that can hold retrograde (after first orbit and tracking station tier 2 if i remember right) then landing on one of Minmus flats is easy (if you don't run into the landing leg bug ...). When landing near/on a target just chase the retrograde marker towards the target marker, don't worry, after a few F5/F9-combinations you'll get it.

Or take the offered help from the friendly collegue :-)

The waypoint manager mod is not coming up on what I believe is the main mod website (https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal). Where should I be looking?

Thanks,

5 hours ago, classicaljazzman said:

The waypoint manager mod is not coming up on what I believe is the main mod website (https://mods.curse.com/ksp-mods/kerbal). Where should I be looking?

Just here:

To be honest, many (most?) mod makers do not use Curse. Most use Spacedock or Github (or their own solution) (in Waypoint Managers case, it's on Github, which isn't easily searachable.

You've got two options really, you can look through the Add On Release forum (recommended)

Or you can use CKAN which is a great mod manager/installer and will deal with dependencies and things for you. (not recommended for reasons below)

CKAN is great, but it doesn't always get it right. I would hesitate to recommend it to a complete newbie, just simply because IMO you need to know how to install mods manually, and get comfortable with messing around in GameData so you can fix it when (not if) CKAN messes up.