[OUTDATED] RejuvenatedDuna v1

Whirligig Girl

RejuvenatedDuna has been superseded by the Duna Restoration Project, which is better in every way.

Spoiler

REJUVENATEDDUNA

Back in 0.17, Duna was first added. It was a gorgeous planet. It had low scale details and high definition, and had a variety of different regions and appearance to its surface. You can see a video of operations on the surface of the old Duna here. An album of old Duna here. A picture showcasing the small scale detail here. A video showcasing the detail here.

But all of this changed in 0.21. If I recall correctly there was a small re-write of the terrain system, and a few new PQSMods were added. For the most part, the change was good. Kerbin got the really cool K2 Mountain range east of KSC as well as plenty of other cool new features. Eve's large scale terrain looks much better. Moho and the other planets got terrain passes as well. But Duna got the short end of the stick. It became the ugly lumpy ball of noise and buldginess that we now know it to be. It looks incredibly samey across the entire planet, and the heightmap is nearly unrecognizable from the original version. Every time I look at the current stock Duna I cringe.

But no more must I cringe, for I have (mostly) resurrected the beautiful 0.17-0.21 Duna that we used to know:

(Full Album)

cJsF5Ow.png

YmqcWR2.png

Download at SpaceDock

It is important to note that this is not a perfect reproduction of the original Duna by any means. It does not have the same level of detail as the original 0.17 Duna. But it does have roughly the same heightmap and appearance, and looks a heck of a lot better than the piece of junk from 0.21+. This will be released as a standalone mod, but will also be released into Revamped Stock Solar System 0.5. (In a more modified form.) This is a Kopernicus mod.

The heightmap is based on a heightmap from the old ISA MapSat plugin, with the blue-to-green-to-red color pallet switched to a black-to-grey-to-white color pallet. This means that it has some of the noise from the old Duna baked in. This is good because I don't know what the noise was originally like, and bad because if I ever do find out what the PQSMods were, I don't have the original heightmap to add them to. The result is that the detail isn't quite the same as it was before.

INSTALLATION

1: Download and install Kopernicus (make sure to install its prerequisites as well)

2: Download this mod and place it in GameData.

3: You should have installed it correctly.

Credits:

@NovaSilisko: For desigining the original and amazing Duna. Also for the idea of a "Duna Restoration Project."

Squad: For ruining the awesome Duna after Nova left, leading to me making this mod.

@KillAshley: For the ground textures from KASE.

@Innsewerants: ISA MapSat.

Planned Features:

• Support for KASE. (Will overwrite KASE's Duna.)
  • Support for Revamped Stock System. (Will be implemented in modified form into RevSS 0.5)
  • Biome Map.
  • Closer representation of old Duna. (Would need to know old Duna's PQSMods and values, as well as the old Duna heightmap.)

License:

CC BY-NC-SA

Edited by GregroxMun

On 8/16/2016 at 0:39 AM, Spartan_MiniMe said:

Great mod, but my only concern is if this is compatible with KSP 64K as of yet. I'd quite like to get back to the better Duna, but if it doesn't scale with the rest of the Kerbol System I'll hold off on installing it.

Cheers

AFAIK 64K just uses Sigma Dimensions and that's it. So it should scale fine.

Whaou ... I never expected that. As you, i've been extremely disappointed by Duna once I went there for the first time, after the 0.21. How is looking the canyon in this version? How are the anomalies affected by the new heightmap?

Maybe could Squad provide the missing information, meaning PQSMods and values, as well as the old Duna heightmap?

Edited by ndiver

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2016 at 4:57 AM, ndiver said:

Whaou ... I never expected that. As you, i've been extremely disappointed by Duna once I went there for the first time, after the 0.21. How is looking the canyon in this version? How are the anomalies affected by the new heightmap?

Maybe could Squad provide the missing information, meaning PQSMods and values, as well as the old Duna heightmap?

I've got good news and bad news.

Good news is that I've got the Duna Restoration Project pretty much finished. Original HeightMap, PQSMods, colormap blend, etc. (That is, rebuilding it as it was rather than faking it)

Thanks to @Van Disaster for extracting the maps from 0.18, and @NovaSilisko for (both making Duna and then much later) compiling a list of the PQS information for 0.19 KSP.

N67qJIu.png

BZrwknC.png

LnM13Yo.png

Bad news is that we'll have to wait until Kopernicus 1.1.3-2 is released. Bother @Thomas P. about it. :P no don't actually do that it's mean.

Edited by GregroxMun

4 hours ago, ndiver said:

If I install Duna Rejuvenated, what will be the consequences over the biomes, over the anomalies on Duna?

I would imagine the biome map needs redoing, I'm not sure there was any crossover period with the old Duna & science mode ( was sci mode 0.23? sounds right but possibly a bit late ). The biome map is just a texture with blobs on it though, not terribly hard to do one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.