Devnote Tuesday: Many hands make light work!

SQUAD

19 minutes ago, Kerbuvim said:

Why is the news that DevNotes (which are published on the forum) will be released tomorrow, is published somewhere in Twitter? It reminded me of this:

"What do you mean you've never been to Alpha Centauri? For heaven's sake mankind, it's only four light years away you know. I'm sorry, but if you can't be bothered to take an interest in local affairs that's your own lookout."

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy

Because Squad hates us and wants us to all be unhappy.

Or the person in charge of the devnotes was really busy.

5 hours ago, Alshain said:

@Wallygator I never intended to suggest there were not.  But the discussion was not

Ha! No worries. 

To clarify: My poor attempt at sarcasm was not intended to question the specific honoring of individuals in the game but rather the entire concept of continuing the process to its finite end. 

IMO future decisions to include or exclude an entities "honoring monument" as an Easter egg might best be kept completely secret going forward. Otherwise it's not really an egg but rather a "find it first challenge". 

I hope this clarifies my view on the meta-topic expressed earlier in this thread 

On 8/17/2016 at 8:56 AM, Red Iron Crown said:

That's a particularly good synergy there, Claw can test fixes in his mod before integrating them into the core game.

Yes, that's a particularly good synergy. Or is it a clear conflict of interest!?!??!???! Maybe he lets a bug lie in the code and fixes it in his mod. Sure, it's just easier and quicker, and the important thing is to get the fix to the players, right? Only now everybody's hyping his mod, and he's got nothing more to release. He's getting desperate, because he's started to get used to all the money his mod's been bringing in. Maybe the bank is threatening to repossess his Jaguar. So... maybe just one time, he introduces one little bug and puts the fix into his mod. Only it's never just one time, is it, @Claw???

27 minutes ago, Perry Apsis said:

He's getting desperate, because he's started to get used to all the money his mod's been bringing in.

24 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

I actually laughed out loud. 

Oh man.... I didn't know there was so much money to be made... maybe I should start charging for Emiko.... hahahaha  :rolleyes:

It's a bit fascinating to read comments when a "really important post" is delayed.

If they post a short "sorry, dev blog tomorrow" it's answered by a list of wails ranging from "they don't care about us" or "they only care about twitter/reddit/facebook" to "the ebil management has taken our money and made a runner".

If they post a short(ish) DevBlog we get a trail of wails complaining about the lack of data.

If they post a long and detailed DevBlog we get a trail of wails about them wasting valuable time on talking about their job instead of actually doing something (or spending time on the wrong things).

The amount of almost religious fervour that people manage to find over a (like) 40 USD game amazes me.

46 minutes ago, Perry Apsis said:

... all the money his mod's been bringing in. Maybe the bank is threatening to repossess his Jaguar. 

I didn't think the bank would bother to reposes a hot-wheels.

In any case you could prevent this by giving him a buck or two so he can finally afford to pay it off.

51 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

If they post a long and detailed DevBlog

Is that once was? Devblog almost always is a conversation about nothing, but personally I'm waiting for a report on what has been done, what remains to be done and when it's done.That means "a long and detailed". This applies particularly to the console patch! Buyers paid the full price of finalized release (not Early Acsess!), got a broken game,but Squad feed them from week to week by annoying "soon" only.

PS. I work in software development for business and used the developer is liable to the customer for the promised (and paid) functionality and development time. If we respond something like"soon" to the client at least once on its problems with VAT calculations, for example, then our company will be bankrupt immediately and close on the client's lawsuit. That's what it means to be liable to the customer.

I apologize for my clumsy English.

Edited by Kerbuvim

25 minutes ago, Kerbuvim said:

If we respond something like"soon" to the client at least once on its problems with VAT calculations, for example, then our company will be bankrupt immediately and close on the client's lawsuit.

Sounds like you (like me) are developing software for professional business automation.

Squad is developing a game for entertainment.

If we (if I might be so bold to call us that) deliver broken software our customers could miss out on lots of money, and they might even sue us for causing that (they'd fail, our lawyers are very good at writing contracts).

If Squad fail to deliver a number of gamers will be annoyed and might even write nasty messages on the Internets.

While both can be called 'software development' it's two very different beasts.

If the worlds most successful game developers would use their processes to write business automation they'd be thrashed, sued and bankrupted within 6 months.

If he worlds most successful developers of office automation would use their processes to develop a game it would have been priced at 3x AAA och relased 3-4 years too late.

24 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

Squad is developing a game for entertainment.

Games is a product like any other. Like shoes, food and everything else. Why footwear manufacturer's "difficults" does not excuse the poor quality, but excuse the games maker ?

By "poor quality" I mean the obvious shortcomings such as saving files corruption, a low framerate, crashes, etc.

Edited by Kerbuvim

Just now, Kerbuvim said:

Games is a product like any other. Like shoes, food and everything else. Why footwear manufacturer's "difficults" does not excuse the poor quality, but excuse the games maker ?

The question should rather be between shoes and a tv-program.

Bad shoes would actually cause you harm, a bad tv-program will make you annoyed.

I think that there's a real difference between vital software and 'light' software.

I also thing that there's a difference in the 'business mechanics' between softwares.

To take the extreme, the software in a pacemaker is more critical than the software in a gameboy (or microwave oven).

9 minutes ago, Kerbuvim said:

Right, games are a product like any other, made to satisfy certain requirements. Industry demands quality, and is willing to pay for it. The majority of players prefer games to be cheap, and to be available as soon as possible.

3 minutes ago, Curveball Anders said:

The question should rather be between shoes and a tv-program.

I disagree. I'm not talking about the content of the game, but about the obvious technical problems! It's like playing in a TV show periodically stopped, the sound would not match with the video, and so on.

7 minutes ago, Kerbuvim said:

I disagree. I'm not talking about the content of the game, but about the obvious technical problems! It's like playing in a TV show periodically stopped, the sound would not match with the video, and so on.

Except that in this case, a lot of viewers find the problems do not stop them from enjoying the show apparently. And every season has been better than the last.

Yes even game software should not ship "broken", as is the case with business software or microwaves or pacemakers.

But in the case of game software, or even business software (we use a critical piece of software here at work which is full of bugs and is even still based on windows 3.1, yes it is extremely temperamental, but still critical and very much fit-for-purpose) the definition of "game-breaking bug" is highly subjective on a per-user basis, since the game is so flexible as to allow a great many different playstyles.

4 minutes ago, Apollo13 said:

The term "DevNotes Tuesday" is a joke; DevNotes rarely are published on Tuesday.

Rename it:  DevNotes Whenever-We-Get-Around-To-It

They come on Tuesday about 80% of the time (maybe even more than that).  They don't have to do them at all, we are fortunate they like to share information with us.

Edited by Alshain

1 hour ago, godefroi said:

I only remember a few times (2? 3?) that the devnotes didn't come on Tuesday...

Unless I am mistaken, the last 5 devnotes came (often very late) on Tuesday.

Edited by Terwin
removed duplicate word

3 hours ago, Kerbuvim said:

PS. I work in software development for business and used the developer is liable to the customer for the promised (and paid) functionality and development time. If we respond something like"soon" to the client at least once on its problems with VAT calculations, for example, then our company will be bankrupt immediately and close on the client's lawsuit. That's what it means to be liable to the customer.

I too work for a software company. Our customers pay us to support the bugs in our code until such time as they pay us to fix those bugs, as they signed a contract with us and vetted the software first before agreeing to using it.

Similar to how I vetted KSP and accepted an EULA. I guess we should all be glad Squad doesn't charge for every update?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.