Devnote Tuesday: Many hands make light work!

SQUAD

I'm just deciding that the radio silence is a good thing.  But if they release the notes today, then Thursday is ridiculously over-awesome, because that's Space Engineers patch day as well.  I need my fixes more "spaced out" each week.  HA!

3 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

I'm wanting to think that they're trying to finish up a few things so that the devnotes can announce that they're moving to experimentals/QA

Maybe it's release day? 

Spoiler

maybe....

Seems more likely that they're trying to push to experimentals. A big patch like this, I'd be bowled over if they did a fast and quiet experimentals phase. The patch notes title two weeks ago was "two sprints down, one to go", so it seems like they're sprinting to finish this sprint?

22 hours ago, Kerbuvim said:

I disagree. I'm not talking about the content of the game, but about the obvious technical problems! It's like playing in a TV show periodically stopped, the sound would not match with the video, and so on.

Maybe it's me being a bit smug about developing real software, and not games.

Games and office automation isn't the the same thing.

If my company fails at QA, people die.

If a game company fails at QA people get annoyed,

I stick to my view and regard 'dead' and 'annoyed' as a wee bit different.

20 minutes ago, JimmyAgent007 said:

Actually the equivalent of a TV show having bugs would be like seeing a boom mic in frame, wires, stage hands, misplaced props.

Or missing CGI content because they've aired before it was ready, but no worries, you'll get the full CGI when they repeat it a few days later!

1 minute ago, JimmyAgent007 said:

Actually the equivalent of a TV show having bugs would be like seeing a boom mic in frame, wires, stage hands, misplaced props.

Pixelations during cut-frames, incorrect or illegible images, green-screen issues, typos, weather map issues, missed lines, special effects errors, volume problems, missed cues, scenes that had to be cut, scenes that should have been cut but were not.

Lots of types of problems, many of which will not be noticed by many users.

On the other hand, I would consider a sand-box game to be much more similar to interactive theater.  
Would you expect the actors to be able to gracefully handle a member of the audience climbing up on stage and doing something completely unexpected(say drawing a real sword and chasing after the 'bad guy'?)

A few years ago I was in an interactive play where the person playing the 'bad buy' was really worried that either myself or another large fellow participating might have positioned ourselves such that he would not have been able to 'escape' out the side door. (it was more of a scripted ceremony, but at the time I thought it was readily apparent that the character was a scripted goad as the espoused views where wholly incompatible with the organization the 'bad guy' claimed to be a high ranking member of).

The lack of control over all these variables are probably part of why both interactive theater and sandbox games are so much less common than the other types.

4 hours ago, Terwin said:

That's why I'm at the train station, hoping the hype-train tickets go on sale when they post this weeks Devnotes Tuesday.

Hype train tickets go on sale when the experimentals are announced.

It's a age old tradition :wink:

Edited by Curveball Anders

1 hour ago, Curveball Anders said:

Games and office automation isn't the the same thing.

If my company fails at QA, people die.

If a game company fails at QA people get annoyed,

I stick to my view and regard 'dead' and 'annoyed' as a wee bit different.

Kerbals aren't people?

Usually dev notes are delayed when there is good news.

I can't ever remember the notes being delayed more then this though, which MUST mean that they have the best news ever for us.....right?

..right?

46 minutes ago, Laguna said:

Squadcast is also today at 6:00 pm EDT (22:00 UTC), wonder if the devnotes will be out by then...unless something special is planned. :)

Squadcast is the dev notes!

What a twist!

Edited by klgraham1013

6 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Nope. They have so much more that is of much higher priority than something a mod does already.

Like remote control, resource extraction, (more) realistic aero, procedural fairings...

(Just tweaking. I agree that multiplayer isn't likely.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.