Photography Showcase Thread!

HazelPine

With some friends, we took the kids (ages 7-13) up this critter called Cabezon (a volcano neck). It's about 1100ft (335m) of elevation change from the trailhead, which is about another 1000ft (305m) above the valley floor. It's mostly a scramble, but there are a couple very short (3-4m) vertical climbs. The summit is at ~7700ft (2347m).

Ancient picture I took years ago, the following 2 are from Sunday:

horses.jpg

New images:

Cabezon.jpg

Still a little snow on the summit from a recent storm.

IMG_6207.jpg

There had been a few requests for these pics in other threads, but this seems like the proper place for them...  (apologies for the poor quality, I'm no photographer, and all were taken with my phone)

@tater will likely appreciate a few of these...

My crazy computer (fully water cooled, hand-built acrylic bench case)

XspExnX.png

Some shots of the Bozeman MT area (Hyalite Canyon) -- benches were hand-built, on-site, and neither uses any nails or other fasteners (a bit of doweling, and a few wedges)

End of June -- theres still snow in them hills....

OqVRoih.jpg

rzX1qzp.jpg

eM59nZa.jpg

151mX88.jpg

And with the summer water temps in the creek only being ~35f, it makes an excellent place to keep your drinks cool:

InUDv3h.jpg

Some ducks we spotted on our way up to camp one year

OMzlFKN.jpg

And hidden in here are some ducks that were nesting out behind my work a couple years back -- you'll have to zoom waaay in (they are in the center), was trying not to disturb the poor things and the zoom on my camera is quite poor.  This was minutes after the ducklings hatched; within an hour the mother had taken them across the road to the nearby pond (sadly, pond was drained last summer, so probably no more ducks...).

bOxhxvt.jpg

There's nothing like a cold one pulled out of a stream. We always bring a few hiking into back country up in Colorado (where we can be sure there will be streams, NM can be kinda dry anywhere but the high country, lol). 

That's really pretty. If you got anything like the snow in CA, you'll have loads more snow this June than that image I bet. How quiet is the water-cooled machine?

9 hours ago, tater said:

Hehe, snow... yeah... giant heaps of it this year.  There will probably still be snow under the trees when we go up in June this year...  I'll try to get some better pics this year as well, esp. of some of the actual sights that are up the canyon; have several rather unique waterfalls within short hiking distance.

Water cooling -- very quiet.  Not entirely silent, as it is all exposed and open and there are a lot of (low-speed) fans, but it is far quieter than a single standard CPU fan or GFX fan would be; it is also consistent - the fans always spin at the same speed so there are no jarring accelerations/high-speed whining.  Best part is it keeps both CPU and GPU @ <50c under full load...in the middle of summer (most gfx operate at >80c, cpus at ~70c).

• 1 month later...

Briton-Ferry-Engine-House.jpg

Abandoned Engine House at Briton Ferry.

Cwrt-y-Carnau.jpg

The remains of "Cwrt y Carnau", possibly an old cottage or long house noted on 19c maps.

Pictures are from my first photography trips since Last March.  The Asahi Pentax is my new lens bought last summer but I had not had a chance to use it.  Radioactive too.

• 3 weeks later...

IMG_6386.jpg

Once again, the best camera is the one you have with you. I could have walked inside Thursday, and gotten the SLR, but I was worried the light would get worse, so I took this from the patio with my phone. Another boring sunset here in Nuevo Mexico (Mount Taylor in the distance, about 98 km away).

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/02/2017 at 0:54 AM, Cydonian Monk said:

Here, have a little bit of Texas. 

20170128_7894_Texas

Here have a little bit of Holland, taken with my wonderfull Aardappel.

untitledaardappel_by_zanzalur-db5iop8.pn

Edited by NSEP

32 minutes ago, The Raging Sandwich said:

Amazing!

Sure... 

But not very amazing when you have to live there..

-25 to -38 durinng the winter

7 meters of snow that easily crushes cars and aluminum roofs..

0 to a bit of  infrastructure..

Only soviet and pre-soviet buildings are left..

Only one museum...

Only one big city on an entire penunsila..

Only one road on an entire penunsila..

Everything you do is just an attempt to escape from there..

Everything you live for is beauty of this place..

Everything you can do there is to buy a gun and get lost in tundra for a very long time..

Anyone on this peninsula can survive -41 (including me)

Anything can go wrong in a second

Anytime there might be an earthquake ,a storm or even a volcano erruption

Everything is just pushing you to end your life..

Edited by cratercracker

1 hour ago, Kokoro said:

WHR-coach-2043.jpg

^^^ Both are nice, but I love the fey sensibility of this one.

1 hour ago, cratercracker said:

boXxkWE.jpg

Photo of "Veluchunsk" volano. Kamchatka.

Stunning

It that lenticular cloud/ice cap typical?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.