Photography Showcase Thread!

HazelPine

Some stuff I took over the last year or so.

Spoiler

8XlchyY.jpg

Rose (somewhere)

T0Z3NOZ.jpg

Daffodil at Longwood Gardens

KkJWrLZ.jpg

Air vent at my school.

W7mdcWH.jpg

Snowbells (I think), not sure where

S2xsA1X.jpg

Miniature railway also at Longwood garden

ELCsLiD.jpg

Another kind of flower (I'm not a botanist, I just like taking pictures)

n2seNao.jpg

Bridge at Longwood gardens

owmq0D0.jpg

Fleshy meatbag I take care of. He's very nice to handle, he is almost 4 now.

@tater, it was this little 'miniature' mode I have in my digital camera, which I use quite a lot, to the point where my family complains about me not having normal images. :P It's great for taking pictures of scenery and making some scenic pictures.

I looked into a tilt-shift lens, but they are as much as a nice camera body (or more). I messed around with it in the old days on a medium format bellows camera, but it would eb fun to play with.

Heh, I too was drooling over those things for ages, and then I found out about Lensbaby. However,  just a few months before I looked, they seem to have stopped selling the Control Freak I was gunning for. Just as well. I would have bought it, even though I don't need it. Now, I've discovered this thing:

http://www.araxfoto.com/specials/tilt-shift-35/

So, I'm slowly getting into the "I'm broke again" mood even though I still don't really need it. What I could find more use for is a small metal lathe, but those things easily cost 5 times more, and then all the tooling and accessories. Decisions, decisions... So many toys out there, so little money and time to play with them.

Here's on from late July, on approach to Gothenburg Landvetter from Mallorca (sorry for window in the way)

5y96idP.jpg

Taken with an iPhone 6, in case anyone was wondering. :) 

EDIT: A cropped version, without the window edge:FcIR18h.jpg

Edited by TheEpicSquared

Today I went on a little outing with my family to Petrópolis, and it was a great opportunity to take some nice pictures, since it's a historic city and as such, is well preserved ever since the royal family left.

This was a church that happened to line up with a photogenic bird as I crossed a little bridge:

I1bmLJE.jpg

This is Santos Dumont's house, which I found rather neat-looking:

PTKGOcW.jpg

This is a pathway in the the royal palace museum:

tN8Qw9L.jpg

Clouds were floating low today:

tqrOnHm.jpg

The best part of the city was this really shallow river that had really clear water and all around had lots of trees:

LVLaOPB.jpg

I would have taken more pictures but my camera ran out of battery power early on (I forgot to charge) so I was constantly turning it off to save it for later, and missed a lot of stuff. Luckily I'm going back in a few weeks. :)

Spoiler

Also, since you guys seem to be looking up tilt-shift lens, I thought I'd show you my camera! If I remember right, I got it back in 2012, and it's a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS45. I know that for sure there are better ones around now, but it has served me well for 5 years now, even if there is some damage to the inside of the lenses (little dark spots when zooming in).

After poking around on the internet, it seems it's a pretty good camera all things considered. I recommend for easy and compact picture-taking endeavours.

Edited by Pine

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday was a hazy day at Birch Bay, making a more-or-less complete ring-rainbow around the Sun. Sometimes it faded out, leaving the odd sundog here and there. I managed to catch this segment, using the camper awning to occlude the sun. 

r1zMoU5.jpg

I had the 55-250mm telephoto lens on IIRC. The camera I have is a Canon EOS Rebel T5, that I don't really know how to make the most of. When I first got the lens on sale for $200 (save $170) I wanted to see what it could do, so I took this afternoon pic of the Mun Moon

TWh2diN.jpg

Edited by StrandedonEarth

It's 4am where I am, and I was just woken up by a terrible pain in my hand and in my hip. I thought the pain was just in my head and the left overs from a dream, until I felt something in my leg. At first, I thought it was the air from a fan across my leg, but something told me to investigate. I found this guy:

KVNvKIY.jpg

I may never sleep again.. 

not a great photo but it was the best I could do at 4am. I was able to capture him, so maybe I'll take some better pics in the morning

Edited by Galileo

@Galileo Oh no, is that an Arizona bark scoropion? <checks wiki> . There's apparently a million varieties, but it looks like something from the genus. Those stings sound awful, sorry! Er... apparently don't be bashful about calling your advice nurse if you feel terrible today, there's apparently treatable lingering symptoms. If that is some kind of bark scorpion I mean.

Huge props for catching a scorpion at 4am with nasty stings distracting you, that can't have been easy.

Edit: looks a bit more like the striped bark scorpion, with the less gangly tail. Could still be all kinds of things of course- just reading. Sorry again, that's a rough way to start the day.

Edited by Cunjo Carl

1 hour ago, Cunjo Carl said:

@Galileo Oh no, is that an Arizona bark scoropion? <checks wiki> . There's apparently a million varieties, but it looks like something from the genus. Those stings sound awful, sorry! Er... apparently don't be bashful about calling your advice nurse if you feel terrible today, there's apparently treatable lingering symptoms. If that is some kind of bark scorpion I mean.

Huge props for catching a scorpion at 4am with nasty stings distracting you, that can't have been easy.

Edit: looks a bit more like the striped bark scorpion, with the less gangly tail. Could still be all kinds of things of course- just reading. Sorry again, that's a rough way to start the day.

I am in Texas, so the bark scorpion is pretty prevalent and according to my mother in law, it's a striped bark scorpion. Terribly painful sting. Pain only lasted 20 min or so but now it's just tingly. I don't feel ill or anything so hopefully the worst has passed :)

52 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I am in Texas, so the bark scorpion is pretty prevalent and according to my mother in law, it's a striped bark scorpion. Terribly painful sting. Pain only lasted 20 min or so but now it's just tingly. I don't feel ill or anything so hopefully the worst has passed :)

Jeez....Galileo go get it checked out and bring the critter with you to the Emergency Room.

Infection Control at the Hospital will want to identify the scorpion etc...

Just now, Tuko said:

Jeez....Galileo go get it checked out and bring the critter with you to the Emergency Room.

Infection Control at the Hospital will want to identify the scorpion etc...

I don't feel bad anymore. I have a headache, but I don't know if it's related. I still have the scorpion so if things get worse, which I doubt at this point, I'll bring him with me

9NmTn16.jpg

12 minutes ago, Galileo said:

I don't feel bad anymore. I have a headache, but I don't know if it's related. I still have the scorpion so if things get worse, which I doubt at this point, I'll bring him with me

9NmTn16.jpg

You might have gotten something else like Lyme disease so they'll want to give you some antibiotics which is the only way to treat it and you can't wait until you show symptoms because it'll be too late by then.

That would be one heck of a zebra catch. Scorpions are not widely considered as carriers of infectious disease. You'd keep a watchful eye out for systemic symptoms.

What're you gonna name him? 

Edited by tater

13 hours ago, Tuko said:

You might have gotten something else like Lyme disease so they'll want to give you some antibiotics which is the only way to treat it and you can't wait until you show symptoms because it'll be too late by then.

I don't think so. It should be a relatively clean jab, and it is a venom injection. Lyme is a blood borne disease from ticks. This is really not a tick.

Still, hope everything is ok.

Edited by qzgy

pen-y-lan-farmstead-01.jpg

Pen y lan farmstead.

Note the gate post which is made from stone.

Cwm-Ciwc-Uchaf.jpg

Cwm Ciwc Uchaf.

Upper Ciwc Valley, Welsh farms often had two farmhouses for different pastures and are often named Uchaf and Isaf.,

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.