Photography Showcase Thread!

HazelPine

22 hours ago, StrandedonEarth said:

It was a beautiful day at Mission Raceway Park here in BC. I locked the shutter at 1/4000 and fired away.

*snip*

As one who used to shoot a lot of action photos (semi professionally), consider letting your shutter speed float and lock down your F-stop instead.   It appears you're shooting at a high speed, yet you still have huge depth of field.  Those are great shots, great angle of the light, nice and crisp.  Well done.  But I find my eye wandering to items in the background.  If you use an f-stop of like 8 or so, it'll blur the background some, forcing the viewer to focus on your subject.  It will also have the benefit of forcing your shutter to a higher speed, helping stop the action.  Letting the ISO float on auto, and manually setting both the f-stop and shutter speed is another way to go.  Unless you are hand holding a large telephoto, anything over 1/400th would suffice to freeze the action.  They are beautiful photos none the less.  Only reason I'm commenting on this is they are almost pro level photos, shortening your depth of field would bring them there. 

And to the reason I did come into this thread. Wood shavings from a bowl I was turning the other day:

sJAQXvB.jpg

18 hours ago, Gargamel said:

As one who used to shoot a lot of action photos (semi professionally), consider letting your shutter speed float and lock down your F-stop instead.   It appears you're shooting at a high speed, yet you still have huge depth of field.  Those are great shots, great angle of the light, nice and crisp.  Well done.  But I find my eye wandering to items in the background.  If you use an f-stop of like 8 or so, it'll blur the background some, forcing the viewer to focus on your subject.  It will also have the benefit of forcing your shutter to a higher speed, helping stop the action.  Letting the ISO float on auto, and manually setting both the f-stop and shutter speed is another way to go.  Unless you are hand holding a large telephoto, anything over 1/400th would suffice to freeze the action.  They are beautiful photos none the less.  Only reason I'm commenting on this is they are almost pro level photos, shortening your depth of field would bring them there. 

Thanks for the compliments and tips! I'll be sure to remember that the next time I'm going for action pics.

I got this Canon EOS Rebel T5 off AirMiles 2-3 years ago now, and am still slowly figuring out how to work it. I also picked up a 55-250mm zoom lens on sale earlier this year, which is what I used for those pics. All I could think for this outing was to crank up the shutter speed to freeze the cars. It's definitely time I took some photography workshops, hopefully this fall if overtime (busy season) permits. Hopefully I can still find the manual for it (if at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions).

8 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Thanks for the compliments and tips! I'll be sure to remember that the next time I'm going for action pics.

I got this Canon EOS Rebel T5 off AirMiles 2-3 years ago now, and am still slowly figuring out how to work it. I also picked up a 55-250mm zoom lens on sale earlier this year, which is what I used for those pics. All I could think for this outing was to crank up the shutter speed to freeze the cars. It's definitely time I took some photography workshops, hopefully this fall if overtime (busy season) permits. Hopefully I can still find the manual for it (if at first you don't succeed, try reading the instructions).

We pretty much have the same kit for gear, mines just the T5i.

I just found a video series on Youtube that I am using to refresh my skills.  I used to have my own B&W Film darkroom in my apartment(s), but alas the cost makes it semi prohibitive to shoot film these days, but I took a decade or so off, and needed a refresher.  Check out...errr..... Steele Training .  It's been pretty good for me, looking to refresh this and that randomly, but I'd think he'd be pretty good for a beginner too. 

The usual rule of thumb is, (ignoring Image Stabilized lens tech), Take the inverse of your focal length, and that's the slowest you can shoot while hand holding your lens.  So if you are shoot at a zoom of 55mm, then you can usually handhold at 1/50 sec.  250mm, 1/250 sec.   Other wise it will blur.  The IS tech will allow you to handhold about two stops slower though.  So 55mm, can be handheld around 1/20 or 1/30.  

For stopping motion, shoot around 1/400 sec or faster, 1/100 will even work well if you need the stops for dim light, but a bit faster really makes the image crisp.  Now like you said, on the cars, you might need to up the shutter speed to really freeze the action, but also consider shooting at 1/60 - 1/100 (or even slower!) when they are at the starting line or doing the burnouts.   If they aren't moving that fast, a slow shutter speed will easily freeze the cars them selves, but give the spinning wheels the motion blur you are looking for.  Mixed with a shallow depth of field (say f8), should allow the entire car to be in focus, but the background and extreme foreground to be blurred sufficiently to focus the eye only on the cars, turning the snapshot into art.   

To practice this, find a small river or something with rapids in it.  Setup a tripod and shoot at high shutter speeds, and then low.  You'll immediately see the difference in implied motion from the blurring that occurs. 

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

Yes, I can see two pictures just fine.

Thank you @Just Jim.  It isn't me then and I wont have to repost them somewhere else to share them somewhere else.

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎18 at 2:38 PM, Benjamin Kerman said:

@Kokoro thats the shuttle for weaving, right? I know my stuff! :P 

Yeah a proper shuttle.  The weft goes in the middle like a payload too.

On 8/29/2017 at 10:24 PM, FishInferno said:

I love photographing birds but hummingbirds are the only ones not too scared to get close to me

Excellent catch! Those little guys sure do love Zinnias don't they. They're the first plant I'd recommend to anyone who wants to attract hummingbirds, bees and butterflies.

A few years ago when I was first getting used to artistic photography, I had the bright idea to try taking shots at the local indoor rodeo. I must have been some sort of masochist. To say that the conditions were difficult would be an understatement due to low light, fast action, long distances and blocked sight-lines. But I did get several shots that I am still quite proud of -- many of which were taken in the warm up area before contestants went on to ride.

o24eBUz.jpgNCY0hOD.jpg

rBhCQna.jpg

I do, of course have action photos taken during the competition, but as it may not be to everyone's taste I'll post them if anyone has an interest to see them or visit this album link.

Edited by HvP

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.