Photography Showcase Thread!

HazelPine

14 hours ago, Dfthu said:

I got to tour a Falcon 900 which I'm pretty sure is close enough to a 50 (Taken at Best Jets at MSP)

Really nice shots! They are real brothers indeed. Engines, fuel system, and many other common parts, but I always gave a preference to the 50 which I'm finding more "elegant" with its slim lines inherited from the Mystere/Falcon 20.

---

9 hours later everything has been proceeded, finally...

Some pictures of today's launch (I bought a new camera yesterday and its performances are way better than my older Panasonic, but imgur is destroying the resolution, as usual):

CXKEJvR.jpg

oSs4aJs.jpg

ogA2RRn.jpg

lvhl0Q5.jpg

ySnrzzj.jpg

vNbMoTp.jpg

zFGSYSV.jpg

First stage and a portion of the fairing.

bM5QMHT.jpg

rlTMb6W.jpg

Globally, this new camera is way better than the old one, but much more greedy in term of light as well, so not particularly excellent at night.

Edited by XB-70A
Adding the pictures

• 2 weeks later...

Time to bring some life back to this thread with some of my best photos from my vacation.

pa16UZb.jpg

Apparently, even squirrels can be ridiculously lazy. This guy sat down like a person between two roots of a maple tree, nibbling on random nearby nuts on the ground near him. I've never seen a squirrel do anything like this before.

QQfC2MU.jpg

Two of NASA's radio dishes from the Wallops Flight Facility, taken on Chintoteague Island from a few miles away - which is why the images are so blurry (it was also as humid as an ocean planet there, which did NOT help). This image - and all others I'm posting - were taken with the same camera that's powerful enough to see the moons of Jupiter without the use of a telescope.

Picture-heavy content in the spoiler below:

Spoiler

What is Chincoteague without its signature animals? Like my first trip in August 2017 - a few days after the eclipse - I was able to find a multitude of wild horses, photo-shy dolphins, oak-eating caterpillars, extremely annoying mosquitoes, and various species of birds, along with some new animals I didn't see last time.

ndJhPLu.jpg

Last year, the Woodland Trail was infested with dozens upon dozens of Spiny Oakworms. This time, it was infested with Double-lined Prominents, like the one seen above. I found over a dozen specimens and several dozen eggs of the species.

piIT1hE.jpg

There were various herds of wild horses that I spotted, but this was the only group I got a good picture of. Do not ask me to elaborate because I know next to nothing about horses.

TzBt5Ql.jpg

Unlike my last visit, there were quite a lot of these toads wandering around Chincoteague. I photographed this guy on the Woodland Trail, but I spotted two hiding around the hotel I was staying at and one next to the window of a McDonald's (don't ask me what he was doing there). For toads, there were shocking fast and active.

KPRCrUV.jpg

The dolphins at Chincoteague were infuriatingly difficult to photograph, popping in and out of the water with no warning or time to snap a good photo. This was probably the best shot I got.

D0VBUg3.jpg

An image I took of a Bald Eagle surveying his dominion...right before my camera died. Darn it.

kgHk6iT.jpg

Just some pelicans. That's all.

I took a lot of pictures of the giant red lighthouse at Chintoteague, because I felt like it. Here are my two best ones:

XeQDUxo.jpg

pp2yb7h.jpg

A picture I took from one of the THREE firework shows I went to over the last week, this one on the Jersey Shore.

MX0o2zE.jpg

Two more photo-heavy stuff below...

Spoiler

I ended up visiting Turkey Swamp Park in New Jersey on one of my final days of vacation. So much stuff to photograph! (Although not all of the creatures I photographed are shown here)

k0s1WHU.jpg

A small wild cherry tree was infested with over a dozen yellow and back Sawfly larvae. These aren't caterpillars - they turn into brightly colored wasps - but they're always a cool sight to come across. I've managed to find nearly half a dozen species so far.

doSS1aR.jpg

A flock of...far too many geese for comfort. They didn't have any young with them but I wasn't going to take any chances trying to get past them. Luckily, I found an alternative route around them.

c9pGWj2.jpg

....Squirrels are weird.

Ai5NvFI.jpg

Some random frog that decided to stay calm enough for a photograph.

The remaining pictures will come tomorrow; I need to try to observe Jupiter before it gets too late.

• 3 weeks later...

Some pictures I took while being in Brittany during the last two weeks.

Qu0fXYK.jpg

tcLCRu2.jpg

Seth Brundle Jr.

3Vksaq3.jpg

7LVBr1q.jpg

2VQmYJA.jpg

QVWEtPA.jpg

PixkhR5.jpg

The moon compilation:

lIExjiZ.jpg

Spoiler

l60uJ1E.jpg

Terrible exposure, but it was the only way to me to catch the dark side.

pmphKGZ.jpg

l57xzkY.jpg

I might take some pictures of the Lunar Eclipse tommorow, but it really depends on its elevation above the horizon. My observatory (the attic) isn't the best observatory.

Sure, the Netherlands is flat, but its going to hard to convince my mom to go to the nearby field with my telescope.

Hi :-)

Moon under total eclipse, Mars peeps through the twigs:

PNnoqWv.jpg

Moon stepping out of the totality:

hDVoTm3.jpg

Nikon D700, 200mm telelens, 1600asa, f/4, 1sec/0.5sec exposure time, tripod. Cumbre Nueva, La Palma island.

Some pictures of the wildlife in Orlando's downtown:

sE32woy.jpg

E87a6mb.jpg

VHmw1j6.jpg

Gallinula galeata feeding one of the little one (sorry for the quality, it was taken at the max numerical zoom and without enough light)

bzOcloj.jpg

8L2e5dc.jpg

Jodq61f.jpg

Lx2GoM8.jpg

Seems like this Falco peregrinus was aiming at me as its next target...

y1Nxk92.jpg

P79dHBn.jpg

Two different Quiscalus major. They swarm massively around the airport.

kbOxWOL.jpg

Finally, one of the most famous local emblems (drum roll)...

1TJgQqN.jpg

I was playing the Jaw attack soundtrack in my head at this time, but this young Alligator mississippiensis was too slow and missed its target.

VyM4OH0.jpg

IOBXv98.jpg

It decided to take a sunbath and a rest instead.

Nothing beats a good "yawn"...

oP52ZWk.jpg

Wildlife? Unidentified caterpillar on my pop-up camper...
Zqxuwuy.jpg

The things you see while wandering around Seattle.... 
1xDewvY.jpg

NSWFktX.jpg

9UTqM2r.jpg

Before watching the home team take on the Blue Jays...
IvmXzPV.jpg

WlAcwZJ.jpg

Good game, at least from a Canadian standpoint...
QlLuHtj.jpg

(We forgot to get close to the Space Needle.We were just looking for free things to do)

Edited by StrandedonEarth

15 minutes ago, XB-70A said:

I was rather surprised not to read from you yesterday in the dedicated topic.

Well, I guess I've left the space hype train for too long then !

On 8/23/2018 at 1:02 PM, tater said:

That second Bombadier image is really good.

Thanks! I wish I could get some better ones, but the RX10 IV is having a ridiculous 13.2 x 8.8 sensor. It's the price to pay when we chose a bridge, but I had enough of carrying lenses with me.

If you like the Global family, here are three others shot taken that day:

Spoiler

aS02YRZ.jpg

iHFne9X.jpg

z4JqeKA.jpg

By the way, I could not describe how happy I was when I heard the guys asking for an option, instead of a standard approach on the radio.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.