Photography Showcase Thread!

HazelPine

Almost a week, five wake-up at 04:30, and 200 not-refunded-dollars later, I got some pictures of "Vespucci" to share:

DSC08208

Taken from the LC-39 Observation Gantry, 5.5 km away. Four scrubs later the visitor complex decided to stop selling the tickets for the next attempt, which (SURPRISE!) was the good one.

Also, as a result of the government shutdown the access to Playalinda Beach was impossible. Last solution --> Port Canaveral, almost 16 km away.

Spoiler

Then, I lost 1054.1 soon after. 

Just to give an impression of the distance, here is a shot taken from a human perspective:

The pad 40 is right under the yellow-brown "cloud" of exhaust gases.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

N969NA, standing close to the Atlantis Building.

DSC08379

Plus some pictures taken in...

giphy.gif

The USS Drum (SS-228)

DSC07629

This Is Redstone!

DSC07673

Actually the first true PGM-11 I ever saw, all the others were "civilian" variants.

DSC07704

The B-52D Calamity Jane (550071) with the USS Alabama (BB-60)

DSC07719

An Iraqi T-55, picked up during Desert Storm.

DSC07752

The size of the Pershing's muzzle brake has always amazed me.

DSC07757

The two guys were singing My Heart Will Go On.

DSC08028

Would you mind a pinch of 406 mm?

DSC08060

If only these Mark 6 could have breathed out one last time for us :o

I decided to take long (2x 15s, 2x ~60s) exposure shots of the sky. You can see a lot of stars today, but unfortunately the milky way itself is still too dark to be seen.

They're raw images as the came from the camera, hence I use a spoiler.

Spoiler

Pzmy5NO.jpg

BwhlX9i.jpg

uFDVTac.jpg

xPPcqWD.jpg

Went on a hike today, this time we went south of the house, and up a different canyon:

l0sTyyg.jpg

(see the little blip on the horizon? I'll post some pics of that from the past at the end, it's called Cabezon)

Sun about to peek into canyon:

iaACTXl.jpg

The view up the canyon:

LNPQ9K8.jpg

Now Cabezon, from the past (one a scanned film pic, the other a recent trip to take the kids to the top):

xMxxL2K.jpg

4YAm8Q0.jpg

Went skiing above the clouds in Sochi.

xvezCKf.jpg

lugvywf.jpg

The visibility inside a cloud isn’t  great.

ni1TiWh.jpg

PyLPZh4.jpg

Mountain range.

bF0sGxX.jpg

B26WhZP.jpg

The Sun is identical in size and brightness to the Moon if viewed through a cloud and a ski mask. Sadly, the phone camera can’t capture this. It looked really weird and surreal, like a full Moon during the day.

aDJjejX.jpg

(Sorry for slightly misplaced helmet...)

FwxQR82.jpg

Dusk (as seen from a moving bus).

jIclghK.jpg

On 2/13/2019 at 4:49 PM, sh1pman said:

ipS7r3Y.jpg

If only you waited 3 more seconds and moved beyond that darker spot. The woman in black would be gone, you'd have that yellow pole out of your frame and the one way sign would be invisible in B/W (or can be edited out).

I like the photo anyway!

I took images of some familiar spots last summer of places i have been tohroughout my life from the air (via plane). It is really weird seeing the places you have seen on the surface from the sky.

Here is Tata Steel, they produce(?) steel here, many people in my region have worked here, you can see the giant ovens from really far away. Im going to visit this area today, so i might upload more pictures of this soon. (from the surface)

RB391Gj.jpg

2AePehx.jpg

Some more pictures from our trip to Port Alberni, BC, last July long weekend. Specifically, from Hole-in-the-Wall trail on the edge of town.

R5xlZC6.jpg

To me, there's some fascinating geology here. The cliff is made of layers of hard rock separated by layers of a darker, softer rock that can crumble in your hands. I assume it is ancient seafloor, although one webpage claimed it was glacial deposits.

vOWveLa.jpg

The slabs of hard rock are great for building inukshuk statues, which seems to be a favorite pastime of visitors:

RWk3WDR.jpg

At one spot along the cliff the layers are bent, practically folded. I assume this is the result of an ancient, massive mega-thust earthquake, probably one of the many that lifted Vancouver Island out of the ocean and and helped form the coastal mountain ranges.

kLJIUZo.jpg

More bent layers. I couldn't catch the whole folded area in one shot, due to the tight confines of the forest and creekbed and the sheer scale of the cliff:

Spoiler

Vc73AY1.jpg

KspTuMb.jpg

And yes, Oreo, still just a seven-month-old Labernese pup at the time, absolutely loved it.

uZ9rVLH.jpg

Edited by StrandedonEarth

1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Some more pictures from our trip to Port Alberni, BC, last July long weekend. Specifically, from Hole-in-the-Wall trail on the edge of town.

R5xlZC6.jpg

To me, there's some fascinating geology here. The cliff is made of layers of hard rock separated by layers of a darker, softer rock that can crumble in your hands. I assume it is ancient seafloor, although one webpage claimed it was glacial deposits.

vOWveLa.jpg

The slabs of hard rock are great for building inukshuk statues, which seems to be a favorite pastime of visitors:

RWk3WDR.jpg

At one spot along the cliff the layers are bent, practically folded. I assume this is the result of an ancient, massive mega-thust earthquake, probably one of the many that lifted Vancouver Island out of the ocean and and helped form the coastal mountain ranges.

kLJIUZo.jpg

More bent layers. I couldn't catch the whole folded area in one shot, due to the tight confines of the forest and creekbed and the sheer scale of the cliff:

Hide contents

Vc73AY1.jpg

KspTuMb.jpg

And yes, Oreo, still just a seven-month-old Labernese pup at the time, absolutely loved it.

uZ9rVLH.jpg

I used to live on Vancouver island (military rotation).

The geology is really fascinating over there, especially from a place that had none. I used to go over to the trent river and just pull up fossils. 

On 2/15/2019 at 5:24 AM, sh1pman said:

I think it was 15 cm of snow overnight.

15? And that's a record? Once again, I'm reminded that I live somewhere that's really snowy by most people's standards. I can count the number of years we haven't had a storm at least that big on the fingers of one hand.

In other news from the lands of ice and snow, here are some more pictures from the Adirondacks:

EFYCAJw.jpg

RGWCuiX.jpg

SQQJi4L.jpg

It was a beautiful day for a hike. Temperature in the 10's to 20's F, with almost no wind and clear skies. The crisp, clean mountain air, the snow-covered trees, the near-complete silence...

I wish I was still there. Alas.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.