Photography Showcase Thread!

HazelPine

17 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

Probably convection cells: rising columns of warm air that's moist enough to condense when it hits the colder layers of air higher up

I mean, I know how clouds form. I was referring more to their shapes, sizes and structures.

A couple weeks ago the Thunderbirds were in town. I neglected to go, but watched from home:

UraWUbv.jpg

Yesterday, we went out to El Malpais to watch some bats fly out of lava tube caves.

Here's one of the caves:

HPTAl7k.jpg

4 minutes ago, Delay said:

I mean, I know how clouds form. I was referring more to their shapes, sizes and structures.

Well, yeah, I was trying to narrow it down to narrower columns. Pockets of moister air, perhaps. A field drying out after an overnight rain?  Need more info, like time of day and the geography underneath.

1 hour ago, Delay said:

Meanwhile, here are some clouds I don't think I've ever seen like this before...
wgrLPDT.jpg

Please educate me: What atmospheric conditions were at work here?

From my meteorology-enthusiastic-but-pitiful point of view, I would go for a pack of Altocumulus Flocus. Generally speaking, they are viewed as "advertisers" (PROB30, anybody?) of a stormy weather in the following hours.

More pictures of the space center, but this time of the "first part" of the museum (I do not remember sharing them here).

Well... apart of the mock-up that you know pretty well.

DSC09506

DSC09502

Sojourner. Forgotten and often ignored by the visitors, yet an historical machine.

DSC09511

Next is a mock-up of the Mars Exploration Rovers.

DSC09532

DSC09528

Why did you abandon us?

Finally, the beast:

DSC09519

Curiosity is such a monster when compared to the earlier models.

DSC09539

Then, time to go back outside for a tour of launchers on display:

DSC09543

A zoomed view of Titan-Gemini.

DSC09548

There are many more, and to avoid invading the page all the remaining photos are in the spoiler.

Spoiler

From left to right: Titan-Gemini, Atlas-Agena, Redstone-Mercury, a scale 1:1 mock-up of an Apollo capsule, Thor-Delta, Juno II, Jupiter-C Juno I (with Explorer I), and a Rocketdyne F-1 engine (thanks to the person for acting as a human-scale reference :D)

DSC09556

DSC09562

A closer look at the LR-87 nozzles:

DSC09565

And the engine itself:

DSC09584

40% of success only, but still the launcher which carried the first US spacecraft escaping from Earth's gravity.

DSC09571

Juno-C with Saturn IB.

DSC09582

You're talkin' to me?

DSC09579

(Nothing is better than a Rocketdyne H-1 nozzle to rest, obviously)

Atlas-Agena, beautifully preserved.

DSC09585

DSC09588

Atlas-Mercury, which is actually the first launcher welcoming you when entering the complex.

DSC09595

A closer-view of Mercury's LES:

DSC09596

And one of Atlas' Vernier thruster:

DSC09593

Another view of the Pack, with the ET/SRB this time:

DSC09598

Redstone-Mercury, which is sadly standing next to the Astronaut Hall of Fame, making it hard to shot entirely.

DSC09599

DSC09601

Finally, just another shot of Atlas-Agena:

DSC09608

(I like the presence of the old man looking at the launcher)

• 2 weeks later...

The only memories I would keep of STP-2.

DSC09940

DSC09938

(Even the light pole was against me that night)

Some pictures of the SLS ML-1 at the 39B.

DSC00015

DSC00025

DSC00027

Edited by XB-70A
Replaced the terrible pictures from yesterday with slightly better ones.

Some lousy-quality photos I had to quickly catch with my iPhone, heavily cropped....

A thundershower coming through the pass....

GkDQtVW.jpg

And some deer frolicking in Frosst Creek in the early morning....

Wilf2tB.jpg

Maybe this is a little better, not cropped...

GTOyAoS.jpg

Edited by StrandedonEarth

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2019 at 10:05 PM, Delay said:

Played around with motion blur again! This time I got much better results, with a different ride!
UZZZk2x.jpg

Ha, I have been too, but the opposite way around; tracking a moving object to blur the background but keep the object sharp (this was at the British Grand Prix). This was made quite difficult as the cars were accelerating hard out of a corner, not moving at a constant speed!

p5TBKNs.jpg

I was also pleasantly surprised at how well my crappy phone handled this moving, light-y night picture!

lR6ZMp5.jpg

So my kids finally won, and we got a kitten. We were at our vet's house for a party (we knew our vet before she was our vet), and she told us that she had 2 kittens at her office they were looking for homes for.

QEUjTnk.jpg

Ours is the one on the right. Her brother (left) belongs to a friend of ours who was getting similar requests from his daughters. They're both at our house right now (hence the pic) because he took the girls on a vacation right after we stumbled upon the kittens, and we figured they could hang at our house and not have one immediately stuck in kitty prison for 10 days.

So far, so good (and our dog is nice to everyone, and everything, so both cats are being socialized with a dog).

Yes it is a panorama photo. No I wouldn't be able to take this with a single lens. But they look cool IMO, just a "fortunate accident" if you like (I intended to take other things).

20190724_230440.jpg

Here's a funny-looking traveler.

20190711_152834.jpg

Edited by YNM

CRS-18

DSC000512

DSC000515

DSC000518

Going transonic.

DSC000522

DSC000531

Second reentry burn:

DSC000534

Aaaannnnnd...  that's it.

I held the camera until the last second, focused on B1056, and I waited for the traditional sonic boom, telling to myself, "It has to be the best catch on a RTLS I ever made until now!"... Only to realize the camera wasn't recording ---->  6_cc0e0b6b-4b8c-4b52-ba5d-e8da39abe776_large.png?v=1544200556

• 4 weeks later...

A beautiful day at Chilliwack Lake...

kNbVkP0.jpg

Mountain Lab Heaven: A ball and a beach.

M1BipcB.jpg

The shirt (a freebie from a 2-4 of Molson Canadian) says "From Far and Wide," but it makes me feel "From Fat and Wide." Or maybe that's the Molson Muscle

Spoiler

98Je2je.jpg

I think she would have happily swam out there forever...

pCcyvkJ.jpg

Some of the mountaintops around the lake...

PG4l4FO.jpg

SglCVjc.jpg

That may be a closer view from a different angle of the distant peak in the "Storm coming through the pass" pic I posted upthread. Maybe. I dunno. It's in the right direction....

Edited by StrandedonEarth

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.