Photography Showcase Thread!

HazelPine

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kacific 1 and Falcon 9 illuminating the sky at night.

DSC01918

DSC01921

DSC01923

DSC01924

And Starliner F1,

49251558492_9cae3774e2_b.jpg

Hard to notice, but one of the SRB is passing through the flame.

DSC01944

Gas expansion is easily noticeable when the sun is illuminating the higher level of the atmosphere, while the surface level is still in the dark,

DSC01951

RD-180 shut-down,

DSC01953

15 minutes after lift-off.

P1360165

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Decade!

This was the only somewhat acceptable picture I was able to take, unfortunately. 3 second exposure, hand held (what could go wrong there?).
S5foA2F.jpg
I still need to learn how exposure, ISO settings and the aperture change the photo, but so far I'm very happy with the new camera's quality!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Dirkidirk said:

take a look at this Spicy mexican 6-7 year old:

FYI:  Looks like you need to fix your image links, they're all broken.  Looks as though you image links to some sort of temporary/cached content, which means that all your images went away as soon as the cache got cleaned out.

If you'd like to embed images on a forum post, you need to make sure that the image link you use is some permanent one that'll stick around.  ;)

6 minutes ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Is it just me, or is the truss a bit mis-proportioned w.r.t the habitable sections of the station?

I thought so too. Looking back at some photos of the big metal version, it's not as bad as it looks, but the truss is still a little big. 

21 hours ago, Snark said:

FYI:  Looks like you need to fix your image links, they're all broken.  Looks as though you image links to some sort of temporary/cached content, which means that all your images went away as soon as the cache got cleaned out.

If you'd like to embed images on a forum post, you need to make sure that the image link you use is some permanent one that'll stick around.  ;)

21 hours later, fixed. now everyone can see her in all her glory.

Edited by Dirkidirk

Riding in my friend's Deusenberg:

ZNUXQ3u.jpg

Nice clouds on a recent hike up behind the house:

wi7xBEp.jpg

Another boring sunset from the patio:

MrHUGVD.jpg

Dog got cut on barbed wire and had to be a conehead. Kitty was concerned and was staying near her a lot:

Cc0HJwc.jpg

Kitty looking somewhat crazed:

0Gfi9pt.jpg

Friend's car offloaded from truck at car show (that cool beemer was on the upper deck):

QUE4XPi.jpg

Some quaint cars in the garage we parked the Deusy in a couple nights:

P6vu91F.jpg

(both from LeMans 1966)

On the field the day before show:

CkBrNBk.jpg

Most expensive auction price for a car, ever (48.5 M$). A 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO :

sv9Gx0c.jpg

A cool Bugatti grand prix car (owner had a pet parrot/macaw/whatever it is):

AZQiBvz.jpg

So for all those really expensive cars I just posted, the cool thing is that there were cars there that anyone could afford. American muscle cars looking like they just rolled out of the showroom, sedans from the 1950s, whatever you can imagine. Was interesting to see half million dollar cars back to back with cars worth 10-20 times less, everyone happy to talk about their cars with each other.

Seattle just had its first clear, sunny day in 3 months (!). I decided it would be a bit difficult to appreciate the weather while stuck in an office building, so instead of going to work, I went hiking.

q2O83AL.jpg

xKPppV0.jpg

Kl2dulk.jpg

The clouds had completely vacated the area. Even Mt. Rainier, which is normally buried under cloud cover this time of year, was quite visible.

5OCNYlu.jpg

Also of interest was the quite pronounced snow line on the mountains on the other side of I-90:

YpjBARX.jpg

The snow on the trail was quite deep. This sign would normally have been 4 or 5 feet off the ground:

ONuNEaK.jpg

Edited by IncongruousGoat

Today I realized I saw each launch of B1056 excepted her doomed one three days ago.

Some pictures I took of her in last December, when she was coming back following the launch of JCSat 18/Kasific 1.

(Taken with a 1/2.3 sensor, so it's going to be pretty grainy)

DSCN0975

To get an idea of the size of Merlin's noozle.

DSCN1103

Dolphins like to swim into the canal.

DSCN1262

Markings of a fairing didn't survive.

DSCN1272

It was my first time to "see" what was inside the fairing in real life.

DSCN1304

Just one last shot before leaving the docks.

DSCN1296

Edited by XB-70A

Last summer I posted a lo-quality iphone pic of a storm coming through a pass, half hiding a jagged peak in the background. For some reason, that peak has been calling to me ever since, begging me to get a good shot of it. Maybe because it's only visible from a certain view corridor (which does not include my house), maybe because to me it looks like the kind of peak where one would find a dragon or wizard (or warlock!). I recently learned that peak is called Mt. Slesse, which has a school named after it, and where a Canadair North Star airliner crashed in 1956

Last November looked like a good chance for a photo-op, as the sunset was turning everything pinkish:  Today I noticed that I really should have cleaned the lens that day....

Mt Cheam:

g0rdCGo.jpg

Mt Slesse (heavily cropped). 

rvB2n2S.jpg

I soon realized that Mt Slesse fell into shadow  before it got really rosy.

g2uGKqw.jpg

Last week was the first gorgeously clear day in months, and I had a chance for another crack at taking pics. And I remembered to clean the lens this time, because I wasn't in such a hurry to get pics before the Sun went down!

1VIBgA1.jpg

FnaYxo6.jpg

Another peak that plays hide'n'seek behind closer mountains, but I don't know the name:

2n7zU7x.jpg

All pics taken with my Canon Rebel EOS T5, 55-250mm lens. I notice the sunset pics look a bit grainy when cropped. While all the pics posted here were taken on "full auto,"  I see from the file details that the sunset pics used ISO 3200 while the recent broad daylight pics went to ISO 100. I guess that accounts for the grainy-ness.

• 2 weeks later...

I went for a tour with Star Fleet yesterday, and was able to get a clear sight of a Falcon 9 landing for the first time.

Just to have an idea of how bright it is during night launches,

DSC03089

DSC03099

DSC03104

DSC03105

DSC03108

DSC03113

Generally speaking, it's a great experience and the view of the Landing Zone is incredible. However, even if the sea was calm, the boat isn't that stable, and the space available not that great (it's pretty crowded). At the end, I would recommend it as an incredible experience for those wanting to have a clear view of a launch. However, if you're here to take pictures or filming, stay on the land.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a hike with friends today (4 adults, 4 kids, 2 dogs.) Social distancing NM style:

Kids heading off towards a mesa (this is south of the mtns Los Alamos is in, sort of near Mt Taylor)

N0W2ExH.jpg

A closer view:

ZiClZtu.jpg

Sandstone up close:

vd0tlmI.jpg

Son on a small cliff (sand underneath, likely not fatal ;) ):

d7jDkgx.jpg

Looking back towards ABQ (the mountains in the distance are the Sandias that form the E side of ABQ, and the E side of my house, lol):

lhg2C3s.jpg

1 hour ago, tater said:

Son on a small cliff (sand underneath, likely not fatal ;) ):

I wish my dad took that into consideration when he asked me to take this shot:

Spoiler

24981_121100031234666_2538580_n.jpg?_nc_

About 800 m of elevation at a pretty "good" angle... Yeah, my face talks for it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.