Photography Showcase Thread!

HazelPine

1 hour ago, XB-70A said:

Really nice! For standing shots, telescopes are a pretty good alternative to these terribly expensive long lenses. 

Thank you :) I've only a 3 inch reflector as saving for something bigger next year however the homemade lens mount I made for my phone did a really good job (No more looking through the eyepiece as all on screen now).

I have the original picture of the Moon as it looked however I thought it was a little bright so downloaded the Adobe Photoshop app from the play store and calmed the image down.

It was my first and only go so far of doing this yet, when the weather clears here (very cloudy and damp (welcome to England lol)) I want to try more...saw the Andromeda Galaxy the other night...admittedly only a white smudge yet I'm hoping with some more practise I can "clean" an image to reveal just a smidgen more...I know my scope is pretty poor but without practising on it, no point trying to learn!

I do love my picture though....has opened up a whole new potential hobby :)

Edited by maceemiller

• 4 weeks later...

Some shots taken the last week in Titusville.

DSC07130

A memorial dedicated to the Mercury program. Different plates dedicated to the eight astronauts are present, some containing their handprints. Here are some:

Spoiler

DSC07133

Mercury-Redstone 4

DSC07134

Mercury-Atlas 6

DSC07135

Mercury-Atlas 7

DSC07136

Mercury-Atlas 8

DSC07137

Mercury-Atlas 9

And...

DSC07138

Despite being grounded at the time of the end of the program (and for many years following), "Deke" Slayton was not forgotten.

Then, I drove for 20 minutes to go to Playalinda:

DSC07149

The weather was not really nice, but it still was possible to have a sight of the SLC-41. The famous fence built to restrict the approach to the launchpads is visible on the left of these people.

DSC07146

(For several years I literally hated the concept of "blurring" pictures by using long focal lengths and distant subjects... and now I do it myself.)

Also, I finally took the time to adjust some "photos" taken during the launch of Es'Hail 2 ten days ago:

DSC06999

The NASA famous UH-1H II Huey making its typical pass along the shore.

The followings are not really screenshots like I was taking before, but pictures that the camera can take while filming (in bad resolution, however)

Image10
Spoiler

Image12

I just like the presence of the guy at the bottom left.

Image18

This picture is almost giving the real human scale perception you can have from this spotting site (approx 6.1 km / 3.8 mi from the pad)

Image22

Terribly blurred shot, but it was the first time I was able to shot such a "close" one.

Image24

Image27

Noisy picture...

Image29

Passing mach 1. Here is where we can see that my camera is not a pro' one...

Image35

Max-q.

Image38

And the last "acceptable". The remaining pictures are just terrible to look at.

4 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

This one is from last weekend. Anyone else who lives in the northeast can attest to how bizarrely snowy it was, and the mountains where I was hiking were no exception.

Does NJ count as Northeastern?

We got a bit of snow. Honestly wouldn't mind seeing more.

Quite like the look of those trees covered in snow.

33 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Does NJ count as Northeastern?

We got a bit of snow. Honestly wouldn't mind seeing more.

Quite like the look of those trees covered in snow.

I guess it doesn't, since you seem to not be seeing much. It was snowing for a good part of today here, and there's snow on the ground right now. Winter is being over-enthusiastic this year.

As for the trees, they were even more beautiful in person. Ice and snow tend to cake onto the trees in a very photogenic way above 4,000 feet. It helped that there was almost no wind that day, which meant that I was able to operate my phone camera with only minor finger pain.

Pic in my yard today:

Yh2Mz9d.jpg

Guys delivered my cord of firewood after 5, and I was throwing it backwards closer to my wood pile (they dumped it at the end of my driveway, but a decent toss from where I store it because of low branches which prevented the dump truck from getting closer). I heard a weird nose, and assumed I had hi the side of my stacked wood, and it had collapsed... it was deer, spooked by me throwing logs moving through the brush. These two guys were the rear guard (the rest went off to the right). I could have hit one with a log.

4 hours ago, YNM said:

Interesting colors on the dogs. (or maybe it's just ambient lighting.)

It was odd in that it was entirely overcast here (really rare), and in fact later it was snowing on us... but the Great Dane is very much a gray dog, and my Labradoodle is that brindled brown.

15 minutes ago, tater said:

the Great Dane is very much a gray dog, and my Labradoodle is that brindled brown.

Yeah. idk but I find it interesting, almost as if the colors were made for camouflage somehow...

9 minutes ago, tater said:

Yeah, they do blend in.

Spoiler

RoCA3tt.jpg

Seems like your 'arid' area is actually quite beautiful, unlike those that I have visited. (also I run out of likes today !)

Edited by YNM

10 hours ago, tater said:

Pic in my yard today:

Yh2Mz9d.jpg

Guys delivered my cord of firewood after 5, and I was throwing it backwards closer to my wood pile (they dumped it at the end of my driveway, but a decent toss from where I store it because of low branches which prevented the dump truck from getting closer). I heard a weird nose, and assumed I had hi the side of my stacked wood, and it had collapsed... it was deer, spooked by me throwing logs moving through the brush. These two guys were the rear guard (the rest went off to the right). I could have hit one with a log.

Couple of nice mule bucks there. It must be turkey season, all the deer are out. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4FEVL5dC3c

^^^ this was filmed literally in my yard---there's a part where Walter Mathau and his deputy race up an arroyo (now my street), and stop in front of a split rock. That's across the street from my house, the camera is probably on my property, or at least everyone standing around behind the camera is, lol. Tht's a pretty low-res version, but it's a great movie (Lonely are the brave).

BTW, that last image was taken today. A buddy and I have decided to do a short hike a week, and weekends are family stuff, so we've made one morning a week (not every week, but we try) a thing. Today was 8.2 miles (13.2 km) and maybe 1200 ft of up (365m) from my house.

Edited by tater

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.