HazelPine

Photography Showcase Thread!

Recommended Posts

8240541.JPG?width=716&height=537

They made the superflat world from minecraft into a real thing???!???

Jk its just the Dutch countryside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSEP said:

They made the superflat world from minecraft into a real thing???!???

Jk its just the Dutch countryside.

That could just as easily be the province of Saskatchewan (Canadian prairie)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

That could just as easily be the province of Saskatchewan (Canadian prairie)

Or South Dakota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Went to a hangar dance last night, with a mini airshow ahead of today's Flight Fest. I wish I had brought my Canon. I suppose I should have gone back today, but had other things to do (like sit here and browse the KSP forum...). This was about the best my iPhone 7 could do with the flying at dusk...

lAHPSTo.jpg

CR2nwj8.jpg

Although some of the static shots were okay...

Spoiler

jMAazhX.jpg

ZPO40eR.jpg

mEeRw62.jpg

XKQ4rO3.jpg

It was cool to see the last pilot roaming the dance (a weathered older fellow with a long history with the RCAF, including as a trainer on the Tudors). I overheard him at the bar saying "Now I'm done flying, I can have a drink! I'll have something cold, wet, and tasting like barley..."

Edited by StrandedonEarth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StrandedonEarth said:

CR2nwj8.jpg

 

A Yak-18T!! One of my best flying memories :wub:

The CJ-6 seemed to be in a beautiful shape too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/25/2019 at 1:38 AM, NSEP said:

8240541.JPG?width=716&height=537

They made the superflat world from minecraft into a real thing???!???

Jk its just the Dutch countryside.

Oh yeah in the Netherlands now. Sooooo flat and dull. And I thought central NJ was flat.

At least you have canals and stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pictures taken the 3rd and 4th, right before and following the pass of Dorian out of the coast.

fullsizeoutput_5d

With an iPhone X, so not really great...

 

fullsizeoutput_9

 

fullsizeoutput_76

 

Young gull is "playing" with a turtle's egg.

fullsizeoutput_72

 

 

Same place, after the storm.

DSC00347

 

DSC00529

 

DSC01163

 

DSC01194

 

DSC01700

 

DSC01467

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a "new" camera today - a Nikon D3100. In spite of manufacturing starting as early as 2010, as far as I can tell it's a good camera.

However, par for the course for a Nikon is that exposure is not simulated in previews. You either get it right or you have to retry until you do. Lots of guessing.
But I wouldn't call that "bad". It's a chance to learn what the settings actually do and how to use them efficiently!

Edited by Delay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's some pictures I took a couple weeks ago at Snow Lake/Gem Lake in the Cascades:

0a6NvHZ.jpg

Wa1IKYQ.jpg

q11nsd6.jpg

ZewNAMV.jpg

... and then some other ones taken (with a different camera) last week at Mount Rainier NP:

Mr0tApj.jpg

7hPgbld.jpg

 

On a more general note, does anyone here have any advice about buying a camera? I'm considering getting more serious about landscape photography and the phone camera(s) I've been using so far aren't very good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@IncongruousGoat

Those are fantastic. (no reactions, so that'll have to do :D )

Bag any peaks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tater said:

@IncongruousGoat

Those are fantastic. (no reactions, so that'll have to do :D )

Bag any peaks?

Thank you! :)

As for peak bagging, the answer is "not yet". Not on this coast, anyways. I only got back into hiking after the move out west a few weeks ago, and while Gem Lake is beautiful, the trail doesn't go over any summits. And I'm nowhere near fit or skilled enough to even consider trying to climb Mount Rainier. Though, I've heard St. Helens is doable as a day hike...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a few more from round where I live.

48445271712_2f44b92b99_k_d.jpg

48611803818_1c899f2fab_k_d.jpg

48445272022_5c73268119_k_d.jpg

48445115986_12eb8edc1d_k_d.jpg

48388493482_a285f05b43_k_d.jpg

48612156356_571961c8e6_k_d.jpg

10 minutes after taking the last of these I dinged my camera, jumping up some 30-40cm cut stone blocks, instead of using the steps. Tripped and the thing just just caught the ground. No visible damage done, but the focus was thrown off and wouldn't come back.

The cost of of repairing it was going to be about 90% the cost of buying a new one of the same model (which I've done), so not too happy about that. At least I've got a spare battery and lens cap now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Delay said:

However, par for the course for a Nikon is that exposure is not simulated in previews. You either get it right or you have to retry until you do. Lots of guessing.
But I wouldn't call that "bad". It's a chance to learn what the settings actually do and how to use them efficiently!

Im curious what you mean by "simulated in previews". I know that on a Nikon I had used before, when using the viewfinder there was a thing at the bottom that would say how relatively under or overexposed the image was, which was helpful. Wonder if youre talking about the viewfinder or something else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, qzgy said:

Im curious what you mean by "simulated in previews". I know that on a Nikon I had used before, when using the viewfinder there was a thing at the bottom that would say how relatively under or overexposed the image was, which was helpful. Wonder if youre talking about the viewfinder or something else.

It has that bar, but what I mean is that you can't see the over/underexposure. It only shows up when taking the photo.

Other cameras, like the one I used before, show wrong exposures on the display. You can see exactly what part of the image is over/underexposed and get direct visual feedback after changing the settings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Delay said:

It has that bar, but what I mean is that you can't see the over/underexposure. It only shows up when taking the photo.

Other cameras, like the one I used before, show wrong exposures on the display. You can see exactly what part of the image is over/underexposed and get direct visual feedback after changing the settings.

Oh I kinda understand now. Seems like a handy feature. Something to learn though through experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, qzgy said:

Oh I kinda understand now. Seems like a handy feature. Something to learn though through experience.

You don't have that privilege with film cameras, so it must be possible in digital photography!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, qzgy said:

Im curious what you mean by "simulated in previews". I know that on a Nikon I had used before, when using the viewfinder there was a thing at the bottom that would say how relatively under or overexposed the image was, which was helpful. Wonder if youre talking about the viewfinder or something else.

SLRS (and DSLRs ) used to have an Aperture Preview Button which would stop the lens down when you held it---normally the aperture stops down as you take the picture so the small viewfinder can gather more light for you to see---this would do it while you were looking through the camera. It was hard to tell at f5 or something, but at high f stops it was pretty obvious. Some don't have this now.

9 hours ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Thank you! :)

As for peak bagging, the answer is "not yet". Not on this coast, anyways. I only got back into hiking after the move out west a few weeks ago, and while Gem Lake is beautiful, the trail doesn't go over any summits. And I'm nowhere near fit or skilled enough to even consider trying to climb Mount Rainier. Though, I've heard St. Helens is doable as a day hike...

Rainier is serious, true. That peak in the Snow Lake images looks a lot like the Crestones in Colorado... beautiful country.

Edited by tater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing as how this is a space related forum, I thought it would be appropriate to post some space related images.

 

173.jpg

 

 

Orion Nebula

166.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.