Nan Kraken when leaving Kerbin SOI

Hi Guys,

I've noticed two other threads here already with the same problem and no solution.

Basically I launch a vessel and when it leaves Kerbins SOI I can't go back to it from the flight centre screen (via alarm clock) nor the tracking station.  When i  do I get a black screen, massive lag and the NAN displayed everywhere.

My log file : 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25aak879xqw89ag/output_log.txt?dl=0

I'm literally weeks into my career game and feel sick at the thought of starting again.  Would anyone be able to shed some light on the matter after having a glance at my output log?   I've tried to remove as many mods as possible without messing with mod dependencies but nothing helps, problem always happens.  

Any nudges in a logical direction would be greatly appreciated.

I am experiencing the same issue.

I tried to remove several non part mods (distant objects), and also deleted very fast probe that was in speed to escape Kerbol SOI as i guessed i was facing the high speed kraken. Both didnt worked. Launched different ships with differents parts that showed on the erro messages, even launched a full stock ship, both didnt worked.

Edit, after removing several mods my stock craft was still bugging outside kerbin SOI. My guess is that SETI probe part mods installed via ckan has changed something on the way that solar panels worked (the error messages were solar panel related and SETI is the only mod that changed the way panels worked, well, near future electrical should as well, but i never had issues with it) that stayed there after i removed such mod. Therefore i am going to make a full reinstall of the game (fully removing the folder from steam), install less mods and make a few launchs on sandbox to test my theory later.

Edited by Kadrush

9 hours ago, Kadrush said:

I am experiencing the same issue.

I tried to remove several non part mods (distant objects), and also deleted very fast probe that was in speed to escape Kerbol SOI as i guessed i was facing the high speed kraken. Both didnt worked. Launched different ships with differents parts that showed on the erro messages, even launched a full stock ship, both didnt worked.

Edit, after removing several mods my stock craft was still bugging outside kerbin SOI. My guess is that SETI probe part mods installed via ckan has changed something on the way that solar panels worked (the error messages were solar panel related and SETI is the only mod that changed the way panels worked, well, near future electrical should as well, but i never had issues with it) that stayed there after i removed such mod. Therefore i am going to make a full reinstall of the game (fully removing the folder from steam), install less mods and make a few launchs on sandbox to test my theory later.

Yeah, bit of a problem.  I spent two days scheming on removing mods then replicating my full install in sandbox (which worked fine), and finally I resorted to not touching any craft in orbit around Kerbol.  I wait until they reach another planet's SOI then it seems to be ok again.  So no adjustment maneouvres in transit but i can live with that.

Hope this little bug doesn't end up being a game breaker as I have no clue as to what it could be.  I don't use any SETI parts nor NF Electrical but i do have a boatload of mods installed so something is definitely screwing with the machinery.

No correction is ok with Duna or Jool, but Moho without a few corrections is quite impossible.

14 hours ago, Maars said:

Yeah, bit of a problem.  I spent two days scheming on removing mods then replicating my full install in sandbox (which worked fine), and finally I resorted to not touching any craft in orbit around Kerbol.  I wait until they reach another planet's SOI then it seems to be ok again.  So no adjustment maneouvres in transit but i can live with that.

Hope this little bug doesn't end up being a game breaker as I have no clue as to what it could be.  I don't use any SETI parts nor NF Electrical but i do have a boatload of mods installed so something is definitely screwing with the machinery.

Help me with one thing, did you had any ship in escape velocity of Kerbol SOI when the bug first fired? My (another) guess is that a probe on that condition makes the whole system go bye bye trying to make the calculations on Kerbol SOI for an escaping object going to the infinity (the log message mentions that) and even after you delete (terminate) the ship the bug continues.

that would explain why me and you can launch probes on sandbox without reproducing the bug.

Anoooooooooooother theory is related to FAR mod, i had it and the game was crashing a lot, removed and it seemed ok, but it might have left some changes on the game (installed via ckan) that might have caused the bug

Edited by Kadrush

Well, without being able to peek into the code for the particular setup for this issue...it looks like somewhere along the lines, one of the vessels is ending up with 0 mass. That may be causing the physics calculations to go haywire, because dividing things by 0 mass will cause Infinite response (which sounds like what you are seeing).

What I can't tell from this instance is if a mod is causing the issue, if it's a straight stock issue, or if it's a stock bug that's being triggered by a mod. Unfortunately the next step is to narrow down which of those might be the case, which becomes a time consuming process.

Firstly, thanks for your time and help with this issue guys.  Earlier in my career game I launched my first sun probe, which left kerbins SOI and then this bug struck.  So given the above information, is this embedded in the save file?  Meaning, even if I do a fresh install and then smash my save game in, it won't work, or will it?

Claw, I'm happy to do the time consuming thing but what is it that needs doing exactly?  Is it a case of simply removing mods almost one by one, as I've done that yet I have to leave certain dependencies otherwise my crafts won't load in order to keep checking the bug. Do I fresh install and start maybe from the ground up, adding mods and testing?

Also, I thought the my craft were fine when in another planetary SOI, however I noticed on my probe now in Duna's SOI that there are no Nans apart from the electricity bar, which of course reads a big fat Nan.  

It's absolutely raining Nan's over here guys.  What an awful bug.

RANT CITY :  You wait for a KSP update, then wait literally weeks for your mods to be updated, then the few that you really love are always lagging (like science alert!), then you finally start a new career game, then during this you have to tweak the daylights out of it and maybe even restart a few times, but that's ok, it's still early game.  Then you finally get the thing rolling and then BAM!  

The story of Kerbal lovers everywhere is like owning a classic car - you're stuck in the garage tuning and fiddling and retuning.  Then sometimes it runs well enough to let you actually go for that drive.

I reinstalled my game, restarted the carreer with most of the mods i had earlier, including SETI, but excluding FAR, Distant Objects Enhancments and Background Processing. Very early, as soon as i opened an antena to com with the probe (RT) i sent a vessel to kerbal SOI to see if the bug triggers. It does not.

I have two guesses after that.

1-A vessel espacing Kerbol SOI makes the physics go haywire, which triggers the bug and continues even after you delete such ship. The good and old High Speed Kraken.

2-Somehow, FAR and the other mods i excluded (not installed again) from this instalation changes the physics model in a way that it continues even if you remove such mods.

6 hours ago, Maars said:

RANT CITY :  You wait for a KSP update, then wait literally weeks for your mods to be updated, then the few that you really love are always lagging (like science alert!), then you finally start a new career game, then during this you have to tweak the daylights out of it and maybe even restart a few times, but that's ok, it's still early game.  Then you finally get the thing rolling and then BAM!  

The story of Kerbal lovers everywhere is like owning a classic car - you're stuck in the garage tuning and fiddling and retuning.  Then sometimes it runs well enough to let you actually go for that drive.

But that classic car has over a dozen modifications. When you add mods, you take the risk it will cause issues. Squad tries to make a stable stock game, they have no promise that modded games will run fine. So when you add, expect complications to arise.

Hi,

I've been having the same problem in my current career.  Whenever a craft leaves Kerbin's SOI, if I switch away from it for any extended period of time and perform other missions then switch back to it, I would briefly get a glimpse of my ship before everything but the UI goes black.  The battery as well as speed would show NaN and the altitude would just be blank.  At that point, going back to the tracking station or even the main menu would show visual artifacts and elements not loading.  No amount of reloading saves would let me recover the ship.  This would happen to every ship that left Kerbin's SOI, ships within Kerbin's SOI were unaffected.  From what I can tell, I think a craft outside Kerbin's SOI would be fine and I could switch to the KSC and back ok, so long as I never interacted with a different craft but I'm not 100% sure.

I was also suspecting SETI Probe Parts at first, due to messages in output_log relating to solar panels.  I tried creating crafts using solar panels from different mods without success, as well as editing the save file to try to remove the solar panels from an affected craft to no avail.

Then I found this thread and, following Kadrush's message above, I've removed FAR and Background Processing, though I've kept Distant Objects Enhancement.  Starting a new career and running some test flights, I've since not had the issue.

Thanx to kadrush and clorax for the input. You guys narrowed it down to far and background processing, so i kept far and threw out bp. Started a new career and tested for the bug and its all good. No nan kraken. So all fingers are pointing at background processing. Can live without it, cant live without far. :-) 

On 8/21/2016 at 8:24 AM, Kadrush said:

I reinstalled my game, restarted the carreer with most of the mods i had earlier, including SETI, but excluding FAR, Distant Objects Enhancments and Background Processing. Very early, as soon as i opened an antena to com with the probe (RT) i sent a vessel to kerbal SOI to see if the bug triggers. It does not.

I have two guesses after that.

1-A vessel espacing Kerbol SOI makes the physics go haywire, which triggers the bug and continues even after you delete such ship. The good and old High Speed Kraken.

2-Somehow, FAR and the other mods i excluded (not installed again) from this instalation changes the physics model in a way that it continues even if you remove such mods.

I don't think this is related to FAR - I have the same issue and have never installed it. However, I do have BP. I'm removing it & reloading back to a place before my first ship left the Kerbin SOI to see what happens.

EDIT: Yep. I can now confirm that Background Processing is causing this issue. I uninstalled it & went back to a save before I left the Kerbin SOI. Left KSOI, no kraken. Swapped vessels, went back to KSC, came back to vessels - Kraken-free. 

Edited by Bombaatu

I know what's going on, meet the beast before. What happen is that when you switch from a vessel in orbit around the Sun to the space center, for a single simulation tick, vessel position is the same as the sun. This in turn lead the solar panel calculations done by BackgroundProcessing, in this case, to generate NaN amounts of ElectricCharge (as they involve calculating the distance from the sun, that in that tick is zero, then division by zero follow). So now you got a vessel with NaN amount of a resource, and when KSP later load the vessel and try to calculate its mass it lead to NaN mass, that in turn destroy the known universe. The 'fix' is to either obtain the vessel position from the slower but safer OrbitDriver (a waste in all other circumstances) or to avoid the solar panel calculations if distance from the sun is zero.

@JPLRepo

Huh, that is interesting. This bug nearly ruined my whole career game and i had to port it over to a new one by cutting and pasting kerbal stats, kerbal final frontier flags and all other necessary info.

one thing my plea for help did was make me realise how awesome the ksp community is, i started this thread and a week later some heads got together and found a solution.... Thank you guys!

On 29/08/2016 at 6:02 AM, ShotgunNinja said:

I know what's going on, meet the beast before. What happen is that when you switch from a vessel in orbit around the Sun to the space center, for a single simulation tick, vessel position is the same as the sun. This in turn lead the solar panel calculations done by BackgroundProcessing, in this case, to generate NaN amounts of ElectricCharge (as they involve calculating the distance from the sun, that in that tick is zero, then division by zero follow). So now you got a vessel with NaN amount of a resource, and when KSP later load the vessel and try to calculate its mass it lead to NaN mass, that in turn destroy the known universe. The 'fix' is to either obtain the vessel position from the slower but safer OrbitDriver (a waste in all other circumstances) or to avoid the solar panel calculations if distance from the sun is zero.

@JPLRepo

19 hours ago, Maars said:

Huh, that is interesting. This bug nearly ruined my whole career game and i had to port it over to a new one by cutting and pasting kerbal stats, kerbal final frontier flags and all other necessary info.

one thing my plea for help did was make me realise how awesome the ksp community is, i started this thread and a week later some heads got together and found a solution.... Thank you guys!

I believe it's a mod issue with BackgroundProcessing. Have posted on that thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.