Console Patches Update Discussion

1 hour ago, mibo22 said:

I am cautiously optimistic that blitworks will, in fact, save the day but if I'm being honest....I don't think it is possible for them to do any worse than flying tiger.  I am sure whatever they do will be a VAST improvement over what we currently have.   Oh, Happy Day!!!!!

I'm optimistic too. Just bear in mind that "saving the day" is not the same "as saving this day"; it might still take a while. Squad's official position is "early next year"; that's anything from "in three weeks" to "within the next 4 months".

3 hours ago, mibo22 said:

I am cautiously optimistic that blitworks will, in fact, save the day but if I'm being honest....I don't think it is possible for them to do any worse than flying tiger.  I am sure whatever they do will be a VAST improvement over what we currently have.   Oh, Happy Day!!!!!

Blitworks has a pretty good reputation, and they have made a lot of ports on a lot of platforms. They should have been the first guys TBH.. atleast squad eventually made the right call to change devs.

Add to this 1.2.2 being significantly more stable in every sense then any rendition of 1.1 there ever was, I think the new updated version stands a really good chance.   For me on ps4, my game was crashing in all the same places my PC 1.1 versions were,  only for the ps4 it would mess up your save file.   On PC it would do this weird thing where the saves dont always load properly, its all zoomed in and you couldnt click on anything.

my 1.2.2 rarely if ever crashes

Edited by DD_bwest
replacing a word lol forgot about the profanity filter and "love up your save file." just sounded weird..

1 hour ago, DD_bwest said:

They should have been the first guys TBH.. atleast squad eventually made the right call to change devs.

I don't even blame them for that (much). SQUAD had zero experience with console ports before this, and it's hard to justify extra expense (to your boss or to yourself) when you can't quite rule out the possibility that the lowest-bidder option will work out fine. Now that they've seen the problems that approach can cause, a much stronger business case can be made by SQUAD staff that you get what you pay for.

Just now, HebaruSan said:

I don't even blame them for that (much). SQUAD had zero experience with console ports before this, and it's hard to justify extra expense (to your boss or to yourself) when you can't quite rule out the possibility that the lowest-bidder option will work out fine. Now that they've seen the problems that approach can cause, a much stronger business case can be made by SQUAD staff that you get what you pay for.

yea i dont blame them that much either.  its not like squad is an experienced developer, dont they specialize in marketing?  its a lesson well learned for everyone and hopefully things will be better in the end.

20 hours ago, monstah said:

I'm optimistic too. Just bear in mind that "saving the day" is not the same "as saving this day"; it might still take a while. Squad's official position is "early next year"; that's anything from "in three weeks" to "within the next 4 months".

Yup, I honestly don't really care if it takes until June (or later), I will wait patiently.  I am just so happy to have some news.  And I am even more happy that the news is that flying tiger is out of the picture.  Can't wait to get back to exploring the black!!!!!

Yeah. I'm also happy with this.

However long it takes.

It means that I don't have an abandoned full price game on my xbox. and that it will eventually be worth its price. I didn't even expect the Commsat stuff. I figured the consoles would never get that. 

Very happy and will happily play the buggy version for as long as it takes to get this update right.

For an idea of perspective. I'd like to draw peoples attention to the Astroneers game that is now available as a demo. they have stated the following:

' Astroneer was not originally built for Xbox, and the build came together by heroic effort in a short time span. Many game and engine systems are not yet ideally optimized for the hardware. If any of this sounds like a deal breaker to you, by all means don’t buy it yet. We don’t want anyone to have a negative experience. But if you’re willing to put up with the early-adopter issues, we’d absolutely love to engage you and your feedback.'

That is the sort of transparency you would like from all developers.....just saying! :D

1 hour ago, AndyChilly said:

For an idea of perspective. I'd like to draw peoples attention to the Astroneers game that is now available as a demo. they have stated the following:

' Astroneer was not originally built for Xbox, and the build came together by heroic effort in a short time span. Many game and engine systems are not yet ideally optimized for the hardware. If any of this sounds like a deal breaker to you, by all means don’t buy it yet. We don’t want anyone to have a negative experience. But if you’re willing to put up with the early-adopter issues, we’d absolutely love to engage you and your feedback.'

That is the sort of transparency you would like from all developers.....just saying! :D

And it is a particularly awesome game too! Though to be fair to Squad, I can understand their previous period of silence considering the issue of if they were going to continue working with FT or not. It seemed like they simply didn't know if they were going to can them or get a new developer to fix KSP for console. I think they were just trying to be professional and not publicly bad mouth another dev without having made the decision yet.

On 12/21/2016 at 8:11 AM, AndyChilly said:

Just got it and I have to say, for a pre alpha; I'm mind blown. Could use a bit more content, but let's be real, it's astonishing as it is :D

On 2016-12-21 at 1:07 PM, Homedawgian said:

And it is a particularly awesome game too! Though to be fair to Squad, I can understand their previous period of silence considering the issue of if they were going to continue working with FT or not. It seemed like they simply didn't know if they were going to can them or get a new developer to fix KSP for console. I think they were just trying to be professional and not publicly bad mouth another dev without having made the decision yet.

It's more like there is now legal proceedings in the works as FT borked their contract and is liable for damages ... Let alone, due to FT being located in the states and Squad being located in Mexico, international business/contract law comes into play which adds a whole lot more red tape to the issue

Basically Squad would be shooting themselves in the foot by speaking publicly about an ongoing legal issue ... Don't you think that they deserve to get the money back that they paid to FT to do the port?

If so, then don't get salty over them not announcing their disdain or displeasure with FT nor should anyone feel that they deserve an explanation on this matter since none of us are entitled to it

If Sqaud wants their money back then they can't be going around and slandering FT ... and I'm sure they paid out a fair chunk of change for them to port it

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd come back and see what people have been saying....oh...nothing.

'Early next year' was the phrase I believe. So here we are in March, on the approach to the end of the first quarter. anyone know of any news yet?

I have to say, I have yet to experience save data loss on my original science career (but have lost other careers that were started after the first update) but then, i've not been particularly active in releasing more science. I stick to my rules of not having too many vehicles saved and any unused/ redundant vehicles are decommissioned. However, this does not stop me feeling completely on edge about losing my data. 

When I bought KSP on the Xbox i was completely new to it, having only seen Scott Manley videos before that. But my understanding of how spaceflight works has increased so much and the improvements i have made on my rocket designs have made me so proud that i'm genuinely terrified that I will lose my creations. I have my first flags planted in the Mun and Minmus and I have my first one way unmanned landers on each body. Those I will not be deleting as I love to go back to them and remember how proud I was of myself on those first moments of touching down.

If someone could update me that they are still working on things at least then I will be a happy man. It has still been worth the money in my opinion. I have had so much fun and learnt so much. but I would love the issues to be resolved finally.

55 minutes ago, AndyChilly said:

'Early next year' was the phrase I believe. So here we are in March, on the approach to the end of the first quarter. anyone know of any news yet?

I have to say, I have yet to experience save data loss on my original science career (but have lost other careers that were started after the first update) but then, i've not been particularly active in releasing more science. I stick to my rules of not having too many vehicles saved and any unused/ redundant vehicles are decommissioned. However, this does not stop me feeling completely on edge about losing my data. 

When I bought KSP on the Xbox i was completely new to it, having only seen Scott Manley videos before that. But my understanding of how spaceflight works has increased so much and the improvements i have made on my rocket designs have made me so proud that i'm genuinely terrified that I will lose my creations. I have my first flags planted in the Mun and Minmus and I have my first one way unmanned landers on each body. Those I will not be deleting as I love to go back to them and remember how proud I was of myself on those first moments of touching down.

If someone could update me that they are still working on things at least then I will be a happy man. It has still been worth the money in my opinion. I have had so much fun and learnt so much. but I would love the issues to be resolved finally.

From what I've heard, emphasis on heard, they are testing the new builds right now. So hopefully it will not be that much longer.

I really like the game, but it's broken for us console users. As I saw one guy put it, "KSP is the most fun broken toy ever". And it is. Sadly, as of right now, it's still a broken toy.

Good job on planting flags on Mun and Minmus. I'm still trying to figure out how to lift off without my rocket going haywire :D

13 hours ago, AndyChilly said:

I'm anxiously awaiting a console update and sale before buying this game again. But I totally understand the delay and it honestly wouldn't shock me if they release it later this year. I read somewhere recently that there's nearly 4 million lines of code for this game or something.  I can imagine bringing in a new team to take over console then go through all that would be a pain but I know it'll be worth the wait

On 3/3/2017 at 6:32 AM, AndyChilly said:

If someone could update me that they are still working on things at least then I will be a happy man.

They seem to have added updates about the development of the console version to KSP Weekly (most recent one linked, you can find more of them here):

TL;DR: They're being worked on, and some interface improvements are coming, too.

• 1 month later...

Kerbal seems like an awesome game, I hope they can fix the console version.

I'm playing on a PS4 and I'm seriously disappointed with it. If they are actually working on a fix, great.

I'll believe it when it works.

I'd rather be spending this time learning how to use the procedural tools for building things.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm playing Kerbal on PS4,I'm loving this game. I can't find any posts from this year (2017) about potential patches or updates.

So, how can I find any information from this year about console patch or updates? I can't play career mode because game deletes all saves after a few contracts.

I'm having fun playing sandbox, learning to rendezvous and dock, in low Kerbal orbit. But I'm sure I'm massively overpowering my rockets, since I have nothing to unlock or to work towards game-wise. I'm currently planning on building a Mun base.

Built a few aeroplanes, and I can mostly land them, but even with the controller set to it's least sensitive settings, aircraft builds are extremely tedious as the controls stick/mouse is all over the place.

Same issue with manoeuvre nodes, trying to get to other planets is beyond me at this point since the controls are set are so overly sensitive. I've been to Mun and Munmus, orbited and landed on both, but I can't get those nodes to work as far as interplanetary transits goes.

I think I need the 'Mech Jeb mod' as seen on Scott Manley's you-tube videos.

I realise that there are more important things for the developers to be doing, but the PS4 version is kinda dead in the water if I can't reliably save games.

21 minutes ago, GrouchyDevotee said:

I can't find any posts from this year (2017) about potential patches or updates.

So, how can I find any information from this year about console patch or updates? I can't play career mode because game deletes all saves after a few contracts.

There's a long forum thread about the progress towards a console update that you could "follow":

Plus, consoles are now mentioned in the "KSP Weekly" updates posted in this forum:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/66-the-daily-kerbal/

6 hours ago, HebaruSan said:

There's a long forum thread about the progress towards a console update that you could "follow":

Plus, consoles are now mentioned in the "KSP Weekly" updates posted in this forum:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/forum/66-the-daily-kerbal/

Thanks, Stupid me, I was looking for Console updates,  under the heading "console patches update discussion" and not "Development Updates for Consoles".

1 minute ago, Red Iron Crown said:

The better info is in the KSP Weeklies.

Thanks for that as well.

I just want to play this game somewhat fluidly, and not have all my save data corrupted every time I have more then 4 separate orbiters.

I didn't realise I'd need to establish a comm net and join a support group.... to play a console game.

Lost some Kerbals today... forgive liquidy-ness.

Just now, GrouchyDevotee said:

Thanks for that as well.

I just want to play this game somewhat fluidly, and not have all my save data corrupted every time I have more then 4 separate orbiters.

I didn't realise I'd need to establish a comm net and join a support group.... to play a console game.

Lost some Kerbals today... forgive liquidy-ness.

It's a tough situation, the quality of the console releases is not what was hoped for and the fix is taking longer than expected (including a change of partners for the port).

3 hours ago, Red Iron Crown said:

It's a tough situation, the quality of the console releases is not what was hoped for and the fix is taking longer than expected (including a change of partners for the port).

Yeah, I get that there was/will be some problems making a processor heavy game work in a console.

I just went the console route in the first place just so I could have a plug and play game.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.