IVA Editing/Creation

AyeLmao

Hello, i was wondering if anyone knows how to add props in the IVA's, Particularly the Mk3 Shuttle IVA, I wanted to add an RPM HUD To it but have no clue how to add it in, i have the IVA Model and everything but have no clue how to run it through unity and make it work.

On 8/19/2016 at 10:08 PM, AyeLmao said:

Hello, i was wondering if anyone knows how to add props in the IVA's, Particularly the Mk3 Shuttle IVA, I wanted to add an RPM HUD To it but have no clue how to add it in, i have the IVA Model and everything but have no clue how to run it through unity and make it work.

First, you need to get Unity.  For KSP 1.1.3, you will need Unity 5.2.4f1.

Second, you need KSP PartTools for KSP 1.1.2 (works in 1.1.3, too) - there's a link for it stickied to this forum.

Third, you'll need to set up Unity / PartTools.  There's a post for that stickied as well.

After that, you start Unity, load the IVA, open the PartTools window, and start adding props.  This will be the fiddly part if you're not used to it.  Once you're done, save the new config.  You most likely will want to make a MM patch so you can replace the IVA without editing the original - take a look at the other example IVAs to get an idea how that's done.

Just now, MOARdV said:

First, you need to get Unity.  For KSP 1.1.3, you will need Unity 5.2.4f1.

Second, you need KSP PartTools for KSP 1.1.2 (works in 1.1.3, too) - there's a link for it stickied to this forum.

Third, you'll need to set up Unity / PartTools.  There's a post for that stickied as well.

After that, you start Unity, load the IVA, open the PartTools window, and start adding props.  This will be the fiddly part if you're not used to it.  Once you're done, save the new config.  You most likely will want to make a MM patch so you can replace the IVA without editing the original - take a look at the other example IVAs to get an idea how that's done.

I already got it but thanks for the Tip MOARdV(Love your username btw), Also the unity and parttools bit is Obvious to anyone who isn't lazy and clicked on the several Mod related Posted Stickied at the top. I already have Unity and parttools setup but I needed to know how I get the Cfgs for the props, If I have to write it manually or something. is it possible to Import the .cfg for the IVA So i can keep the current props/Replace them without replacing ALL of them.

21 minutes ago, AyeLmao said:

I already got it but thanks for the Tip MOARdV(Love your username btw), Also the unity and parttools bit is Obvious to anyone who isn't lazy and clicked on the several Mod related Posted Stickied at the top. I already have Unity and parttools setup but I needed to know how I get the Cfgs for the props, If I have to write it manually or something. is it possible to Import the .cfg for the IVA So i can keep the current props/Replace them without replacing ALL of them.

Hi, in unity on a scene of your choice click the tools tab at the top of the screen , it will if part tools is installed correctly show a KS part tools tab. Click it, a litle gui window will open, and there you can find (once you've set the gamedata path) all the props and iva's that are in your game. They can all be spawned into your scene, there are 3 parts to the window Props spaces and setup, fairly self explanatory.

Simply spawn an IVA in your scene and it already have all the instruments etc in place, and you can add or subtract as you wish. Once complete the created cfg is saved to the prop cfg for the IVA you are working on

Edited by SpannerMonkey(smce)

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, in unity on a scene of your choice click the tools tab at the top of the screen , it will if part tools is installed correctly show a KS part tools tab. Click it, a litle gui window will open, and there you can find (once you've set the gamedata path) all the props and iva's that are in your game. They can all be spawned into your scene, there are 3 parts to the window Props spaces and setup, fairly self explanatory.

Simply spawn an IVA in your scene and it already have all the instruments etc in place, and you can add or subtract as you wish. Once complete the created cfg is saved to the prop cfg for the IVA you are working on

Wish i had read that earlier, i went the hard route and Ported the .mu into blender Redid the Texture mapping(Because blender likes misaligning things) Then Ported it into unity and got to setting up the props.

Just now, martinezfg11 said:

Show a screenshot of your setup tab. Did you assign your GameData directory? Keep in mind the directory needs to actually contain the .mu files.

I got it all set now, Adding in some ASET Avionics Bits. I might need to reset the texture Directories for the Aset bits though. Do i need to add the textures in unity? Also how do i export the Cfg. EDIT - Also do i need to add in the Crew seats and Cameras/lights/Transforms/Misc Bits again.

Edited by AyeLmao
Forgot one More tiny question

If you're adding in props you don't need to add in any textures. look to the right you'll see an "export Config" button. It will write the pertinent information to your internal .cfg file. Just make sure that in Unity all your props are children of the IVA in your hierarchy.

Just now, SpannerMonkey(smce) said:

Hi, you're welcome, and great that you've got it all sorted,  and welcome to the wonderful (frustrating) world of IVA creation

actually it was pretty Straight Forward. i plan on making a Kerbalized Shuttle cockpit, Anyone know how i remove those Horrible screens that the stock one has?

58 minutes ago, AyeLmao said:

actually it was pretty Straight Forward. i plan on making a Kerbalized Shuttle cockpit, Anyone know how i remove those Horrible screens that the stock one has?

I think the "stock" screens you are referring you are modeled/textured into the asset. You could always just put RPM MFD's over the top of them..

Just now, martinezfg11 said:

I think the "stock" screens you are referring you are modeled/textured into the asset. You could always just put RPM MFD's over the top of them..

Is there Any possible way i can import the .mu into blender and re-export it but use the same prop Cfgs, I want to put some manual instruments in their place.

Why are you trying to import the model into blender? Are you planning on making changes to the actual model? By the way you can import into blender, and as long as you don't make massive model changes, you should be able to export and use the same setup as before. Just beware, that if you keep it in the SQUAD directory it will get overwritten if you update.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.