The Wasp: Small Stock Tilt-Wing Vtol

Bloojay

So @EJ_SA tried to make a small VTOL, fell flat on his shaven face, I took his basic design, then made it work:

ZKscgud.gifmjSg6QV.gif

kUIiZPjh.jpg

xxpgcv5h.jpg

7w6SV2kh.jpg

aXYiAQMh.jpg

CVakTkrh.jpg

OHuaJNZh.jpg

Its a tilt wing designed to be compact and fast. It has an open bay in the back with a few seats (not pictured), and it flies like a dream.

It used to have its elevator in the back but that didn't work with the aerodynamics, so I moved them forward and now it has canards.

Album: http://imgur.com/a/qpjkE
(First Functioning Version)

Moar Album: http://imgur.com/a/QnzXX
(After Some Tweaks)

KerbalX Link!

Edited by Bloojay
Added Gifs, Edited title

@McQuacker Nope! Completely Bone Stock. The hinge mechanism is my own variation of the famed "Thermometer Hinge" 

There Is a close up of it in the second album:

O4qYUtsh.png

8 Thermometers act as a tube for an oscar be to rotate in, at the push of the button the docking ports undock and the entire tilt wing portion is a separate craft.
Then it's aloud to freely rotate in the mechanism.

24 minutes ago, Majorjim! said:

Awesome to see others making their own mechanisms from this idea! What stops the moving parts from falling outwards?

the two moving parts are connected invisibly... instead of having them on an axle you gizmo the two halfes apart. A tricky part hirarchy, but a nice trick

Edited by Dafni

@Majorjim! EJ_SA was using it for his version on stream when I walked in. I tried desperately to avoid using it in the interest of keeping symmetry,  eventually though I did have use it with all the parts snapped to the "absolute" grid.

So both booms are connected but not symmetrical, the left boom is surface attached to the right boom and was offset outwards, and the right boom is attached to right docking port.

The docking ports are in symmetry, so with some offsetting of them left and right I eventually got them lined up with the left booms docking port.

Just now, Bloojay said:

@Majorjim! EJ_SA was using it for his version on stream when I walked in. I tried desperately to avoid using it in the interest of keeping symmetry,  eventually though I did have use it with all the parts snapped to the "absolute" grid.

So both booms are connected but not symmetrical, the left boom is surface attached to the right boom and was offset outwards, and the right boom is attached to right docking port.

The docking ports are in symmetry, so with some offsetting of them left and right I eventually got them lined up with the left booms docking port.

I see. You could have placed the docking ports one by one. It would take time but you can get the same results, and done well with patients, better results. I do this often as I am a very patient builder!

6 minutes ago, Bloojay said:

you forget, EJs doesn't actually work :sticktongue: 

true. but obviously we have no doubt he will tweak it into shape one day, though.

that is not to say anything against your craft. I see nothing wrong with picking up ideas, and you gave credit too. I like that little craft and I give you props again. Matter of fact I build my own version probably at the same time as you did, but did not go all the way tweaking the aerodynamics and left it unfinished. Now I just use yours.

IMO whoever said this or that craft is better missed the point of it all anyway. No offense. But bouncing designs back and forth is part of my understanding of KSP. Especially when you watch somebody like EJ... its like multiplayer KSP engineering.

@AugustWest Here's how it functions:

When you load up in the runway, press action group 2(default is button "2") to "decouple" the right docking port, (the right docking port is what the entire assembly is rooted too),

Then, swap focus to the wings (its treated as a separate vehicle) By using the default buttons "[" and "]" and roll it into place, (default buttons "Q" and "E") 

They should dock without any trouble, and you can then fly it as a VTOL,

To change mid-flight:

Press Action group 1 (default button "1") this will "undock" the ports (different from "decoupling" because the game treats docking ports that are node connected in the editor as decouplers) 

Then swap again to the wing assembly and Roll it into the desired docking ports.

• 2 months later...

@gupsy The offset  tool has a qwerk you can abuse if you know how to use it. I'm not at home, but tomorrow I'll upload something to explain how it works and how to do it, though I'm sure its probably  already in the forums burried  somewhere. Its really simple so hang tight :D

@Bloojay Ok thanks! I have been looking all over and can't find it. I went through EJ's stream vids and the closest thing I found is I think what looks like fairings as the connector, your idea looks much better tho. Oh where do u upload to so I can follow it or whatever?

Edited by gupsy

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, The_Cat_In_Space said:

Sorry for necroposting, but if you swapped the jet engines for RAPIERs and added some stuff would it be able to go in space? I'm downloading this craft right now

Lol I got an email for some reason for a reply. That would be cool however you would only be able to fly for 30 seconds as you wouldn't be able to have a good fuel supply. It is required to have the fuel efficiency of the jet 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.