Nirgends Planet Pack: Development page

BashGordon33

Nirgends Planet Pack

Planet 9 is the hypothetical massive planet located beyond the orbit of Neptune. It's existence was first hypothesised when scientists noticed the strange orbits of dwarf planets. They predicted a massive body must be causing all these objects to possess these strange orbits. I have created Nirgends to become an analogue for the fabled Planet 9.

In this thread I will be posting updates on the Nirgends Planet Pack's progress towards completion, along with giving the community a space to post suggestions and recommendations for the future of Nirgends. I plan to include at least 3 major moons that will orbit Nirgends itself. I will officially post the planet pack once I create 2 of the moons. So far I have only completed Nirgends itself:

Mod Album

Spoiler

bHfFg4J.png

Nirgends is a cold gas giant, smaller than Jool.

2Kkm42b.png

Because of it's distance from the sun, it's also denser than Jool.

4QpIZ7d.png

Moons will come soon.

All constructive criticism and suggestions are welcome. I will read all of them.

The first moons will appear in a month or two.

Credits:

• TheWhiteGuardian for his amazing tutorials that taught me how to create planets
  • Sarbian for Module Manager, the backbone of all KSP mods.
  • The many developers of Kopernicus, which this mod will use
  • KillAshley for the atmospheric curves 
  • SpaceEngine for the textures

Edited by BashGordon33

13 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

You might also find the Planet Six Probe Challenge interesting.

GTU2CVy.png

Yeah, I did look into that, but I felt that End purpose was more as a target for the challenge, rather than an actual planet. Nirgends is designed to fit in with the rest of the solar system, End is designed to be a mysterious challenge. I'm basing the structure and features of the Nirgend system off of OPM planets. 

On 21/08/2016 at 2:10 PM, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Cool! Will watch! Although, no offense, might wanna come up with a better name then that. Something more... Kerbal

If you want to know how I named Nirgends, it's German for Nowhere. I really couldn't think of a better name

7 hours ago, BashGordon33 said:

Yeah, I did look into that, but I felt that End purpose was more as a target for the challenge, rather than an actual planet. Nirgends is designed to fit in with the rest of the solar system, End is designed to be a mysterious challenge. I'm basing the structure and features of the Nirgend system off of OPM planets. 

End was designed to be a planet pack before a challenge. If I had done it just for the sake of the challenge, I would have just included the planet and that's it. I put effort into making sure the destinations in Planet Six were places you'd want to go, not just places you're told to go. If it wasn't for the fact that I also wanted to do the challenge, I would have released it in add-on releases as an add-on to the stock solar system. It was a planet pack first, a challenge second.

On the subject of Space Engine, please don't. Space Engine textures are generic and boring in KSP, and can not actually be well mapped to KSP planets despite what you may have heard. They have gotten a little better recently, at least for asteroid heightmaps and earthlike planets. However, compared to what you can do with PQSMods if you just try, Space Engine looks awful.

EDIT: And finally, one more thing. Make sure you're making mods because you like making mods. Don't make mods so that you can be a modder. Those make the worst mods.

Edited by GregroxMun

On 22/08/2016 at 10:11 PM, GregroxMun said:

End was designed to be a planet pack before a challenge. If I had done it just for the sake of the challenge, I would have just included the planet and that's it. I put effort into making sure the destinations in Planet Six were places you'd want to go, not just places you're told to go. If it wasn't for the fact that I also wanted to do the challenge, I would have released it in add-on releases as an add-on to the stock solar system. It was a planet pack first, a challenge second.

On the subject of Space Engine, please don't. Space Engine textures are generic and boring in KSP, and can not actually be well mapped to KSP planets despite what you may have heard. They have gotten a little better recently, at least for asteroid heightmaps and earthlike planets. However, compared to what you can do with PQSMods if you just try, Space Engine looks awful.

EDIT: And finally, one more thing. Make sure you're making mods because you like making mods. Don't make mods so that you can be a modder. Those make the worst mods.

Well, this is going to be a lot harder than I originally thought, if I can't use space engine. And I am not making this because I want to be a modder, I would have made this planet pack anyway. I just thought a gas planet with moons would be a lot easier than the other ideas I had. I genuinely enjoy coding and problem solving. I put this up online because I though it would be a good place for people to post ideas and recommendations for moon ideas. I don't think the actual planet will be uploaded as an official add-on for at least a few months. I even plan to eventually turn Nirgends from a gas giant to a super-terra. I started this so I could get ideas for the moons, to increase variety of the Nirgends system.

I do like End and the rest of your planet packs, and I'm not trying to make a rip-off of anything somebody else has made. 

EDIT: How would I go about getting textures without Space Engine?

Edited by BashGordon33

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.