[1.12.x] Critical Temperature Gauge (continued) [v1.12.3.1 — 2022-04-30]

Teilnehmer

1 hour ago, firda said:

Is it really necessary? I don't mind Click-Through Blocker, but could you please make the usage of Toolbar Controller optional? Thx

Just wondering what your objections to it are?
It doesnt really do anything, I think, *unless* the Toolbar mod is also installed... and *lots* of people seem to really want to use that mod, (i know *I*, REQUIRE it :) )...

The only real justified objections I can see people having are, 1) another seperate dependency to install, for those who manually install mods, and 2) the Toolbar Controller button is always shown, even when Toolbar is *not* installed... vOv

3 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

2) the Toolbar Controller button is always shown, even when Toolbar is *not* installed... vOv

That reason, would not even notice otherwise.

Hmm, looking at it a bit more, using reflection to make it optional kinda defeats the purpose of that mod to unify stock and blizzy and LGG already has too much to do that I can understand he does not want to make the button optional (there is old issue on GitHub about that) to later be bothered by folks accidentaly hiding it (and wanting to use it to hide other buttons).

I was using CTG for ages and just used some older .ckan file to load my favourite mods (which included CTG) to see there is new button. Found the reason - CTG requires it now. Will have to live with that it seems.

Edited by firda

Hi,

Critical Temperature Gauge is one of my favorite mod since long time. But really I don't know the reason why the developer have added both Click-Through Blocker and Toolbar Controller as dependencies. This mod works perfectly without them in previous versions (KSP 1.7.3 and older).

On 12/9/2019 at 7:05 PM, Teilnehmer said:

I tried cfg editing. It helped—the button is not visible.

GameData/001_ToolbarControl/PluginData/ToolbarControl.cfg:

DATA
  {
    name = ToolbarController_NS
    displayName = Toolbar Controller
    useBlizzy = False
    useStock = False
    noneAllowed = True
  }

That works, thanks for the tip.

52 minutes ago, DomiKamu said:

Hi,

Critical Temperature Gauge is one of my favorite mod since long time. But really I don't know the reason why the developer have added both Click-Through Blocker and Toolbar Controller as dependencies. This mod works perfectly without them in previous versions (KSP 1.7.3 and older).

Do the above as well (if you have same reasons).

3 hours ago, DomiKamu said:

But really I don't know the reason why the developer have added both Click-Through Blocker and Toolbar Controller as dependencies.

I like the idea behind Toolbar Controller. Since almost every mod has to deal with AppLauncher and/or Blizzy’s Toolbar anyway, it was a clever idea to implement this functionality once in a dedicated mod other mods can use. LinuxGuruGamer knows it well.
I too find Toolbar Controller not perfect, but this is not a reason to avoid it. It’s open-source, so we can contribute to it.

The reason I included Click-Through Blocker as a dependency is simple: Toolbar Controller needs it.

Moreover, these two dependencies are almost unavoidable since they are included in every mod handled by LinuxGuruGamer. Very few people, I believe, have a modded installation without a single LinuxGuruGamer’s mod :)

Edited by Teilnehmer

On 12/11/2019 at 11:11 AM, Teilnehmer said:

I like the idea behind Toolbar Controller. Since almost every mod has to deal with AppLauncher and/or Blizzy’s Toolbar anyway, it was a clever idea to implement this functionality once in a dedicated mod other mods can use. LinuxGuruGamer knows it well.
I too find Toolbar Controller not perfect, but this is not a reason to avoid it. It’s open-source, so we can contribute to it.

The reason I included Click-Through Blocker as a dependency is simple: Toolbar Controller needs it.

Moreover, these two dependencies are almost unavoidable since they are included in every mod handled by LinuxGuruGamer. Very few people, I believe, have a modded installation without a single LinuxGuruGamer’s mod :)

Ok I understand, but in this case, why not two releases? one including the dependencies, one not? Thx

40 minutes ago, DomiKamu said:

Ok I understand, but in this case, why not two releases? one including the dependencies, one not? Thx

Too much work for little gain. (Doable, sure, conditional compilation, but why spending time on such a thing.)

I am rather thinking about a way to contribute to ToolbarController - maybe adding third option - grouping the buttons.
The very reason why I did not like the dependency is that it created new needless button, poluting the app launcher bar
(which is kinda irony that the one mod trying to solve a problem is making the problem even worse).

I am also considering to actually install Blizzy's to move some buttons (I don't need) there,
but the third option to group all the buttons I don't want under single stock button... will think about that a bit more.

5 hours ago, firda said:

Too much work for little gain. (Doable, sure, conditional compilation, but why spending time on such a thing.)

^^THIS

I am rather thinking about a way to contribute to ToolbarController - maybe adding third option - grouping the buttons.
The very reason why I did not like the dependency is that it created new needless button, poluting the app launcher bar
(which is kinda irony that the one mod trying to solve a problem is making the problem even worse).

^^ Yeah, would be nice to have option to hide the TC button when not needed.

I am also considering to actually install Blizzy's to move some buttons (I don't need) there,
but the third option to group all the buttons I don't want under single stock button... will think about that a bit more.

^^ If you code, take a look at how Blizzy's can let you set up folders, which shows one button on the Blizzy bar... When you click *that* button, IIRC, it opens a dropdown/submenu, showing all the buttons in *that* folder... vOv

On 12/9/2019 at 8:05 AM, Stone Blue said:

The only real justified objections I can see people having are, 1) another seperate dependency to install, for those who manually install mods, and 2) the Toolbar Controller button is always shown, even when Toolbar is *not* installed... vOv

It is possible to hide the Toolbar Controller button.  Just put it on the Blizzy toolbar.  It has to be available, so it will be on one or the other.  But, Blizzy can be configured to not show it.

On 12/11/2019 at 5:11 AM, Teilnehmer said:

I too find Toolbar Controller not perfect

I am interested in hearing about possible improvements.  No one has really ever said anything, other than their inherent objection to another dependency

On 12/13/2019 at 4:11 AM, firda said:

but the third option to group all the buttons I don't want under single stock button... will think about that a bit more

An interesting idea.  Two things have to be addressed.  First, how to display the group of buttons.  Not as simple as it seems.  And second, would be the UI to configure it.  I wrote the mod to keep it small and lean.  Adding this would probably require adding code to create a new toolbar which expands out from the head button (head for lack of a better name for now).

On 12/9/2019 at 8:05 AM, Stone Blue said:

the Toolbar Controller button is always shown, even when Toolbar is *not* installed... vOv

The Toolbar Controller can be used even without Blizzy.  It can hide buttons which aren't needed or wanted, even though the mod is installed

Oh, and I forgot to say that I really like this mod, the critical temperature gauge.  My only issue is that sometimes it seems to show a hot part when the game isn't showing any bar

On 12/16/2019 at 12:12 AM, linuxgurugamer said:

An interesting idea.  Two things have to be addressed.  First, how to display the group of buttons.  Not as simple as it seems.  And second, would be the UI to configure it.  I wrote the mod to keep it small and lean.  Adding this would probably require adding code to create a new toolbar which expands out from the head button (head for lack of a better name for now).

Something like DMagic did in SCANsat, but sure, not that easy as it may sound.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@Teilnehmer got this Nullref spam when launching a ship, i think it has to do something with sub assemblies, the rocket appeared on the launchpad and the sub assembly that i saved just before appeared also just horizontally, reverted the flight and relaunched everything was ok then, you might want to look into this.

Spoiler

[EXC 17:46:16.403] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CriticalTemperatureGauge.PartTemperatureState+<InitValues>d__53.MoveNext () (at <94a5f3a559f443d88c719a9ecc317089>:0)
    UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine.InvokeMoveNext (System.Collections.IEnumerator enumerator, System.IntPtr returnValueAddress) (at <5aeafee3fea24f37abd1315553f2cfa6>:0)
    UnityEngine.DebugLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.MonoBehaviour:StartCoroutine(IEnumerator)
    CriticalTemperatureGauge.PartTemperatureState:Start()

[EXC 17:46:36.339] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CriticalTemperatureGauge.PartTemperatureState.Update () (at <94a5f3a559f443d88c719a9ecc317089>:0)
    ModuleManager.UnityLogHandle.InterceptLogHandler:LogException(Exception, Object)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

[EXC 17:46:20.261] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CriticalTemperatureGauge.PartTemperatureState.FixedUpdate () (at <94a5f3a559f443d88c719a9ecc317089>:0)
    UnityEngine.Debug:CallOverridenDebugHandler(Exception, Object)

this is on KSP 1.9.1 X64 Win

Hi, @dtoxic!

I cannot reproduce the bug. I create a craft in VAB, make a part of it a subassembly, add this subassembly to the craft again, launch it and nothing weird happens.

Could you please provide a detailed step-by-step instructions?

Edited by Teilnehmer

10 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

Hi, @dtoxic!

I cannot reproduce the bug. I create a craft in VAB, make a part of it a subassembly, add this subassembly to the craft again, launch it and nothing weird happens.

Yeah sorry, now some other random mod is causing the error, i think something else is going on here will have to check mod by mod. the reason i posted here is Critical temperature gauge came up first. sorry should have checked in more detail

will let you know how it goes! sorry again for the false alarm

@Teilnehmer ok this is strange, i remove Critical Temp mod, everything loads just fine on launch, now either it;s a conflict between some other mod or it;s something else, i just cant figure it out

here is the log and player-log maybe you can make something out of it i am all out of ideas

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w1mj4wj7le2qqv2/AADgTIb4JhoFBc-JkNXlA7xua?dl=0

I managed to narrow down what is happening, The problem goes away either by removing this mod or KSTS, so either there is a conflict or one or the other mod is causing problems, i raised the issue on KSTS thread with @linuxgurugamer will wait what he has to say so we can find the culprit.

Edited by dtoxic
more info

On 12/9/2019 at 10:05 AM, Teilnehmer said:

I tried cfg editing. It helped—the button is not visible.

GameData/001_ToolbarControl/PluginData/ToolbarControl.cfg:

DATA
  {
    name = ToolbarController_NS
    displayName = Toolbar Controller
    useBlizzy = False
    useStock = False
    noneAllowed = True
  }

Thanks for that hint. The useless (to me) ToolbarControl button has been bugging me for a while, shoving buttons that I actually use down to where I have to scroll to them. Tried this; it worked.

Also thanks for the temp gauge mod. The vague nature of the stock temp gauge has annoyed me for even longer; told me that something was getting hot, but it was just a guessing game as to what.

On 12/15/2019 at 6:12 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

Why reinvent the wheel?  Why not just use the Blizzy toolbar, it works well.  You could probably even create a config to ship with this (not sure about that) which would predefine a toolbar with specific buttons

7 hours ago, dtoxic said:
12 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

Hi, @dtoxic!

Yeah sorry, now some other random mod is causing the error, i think something else is going on here will have to check mod by mod. the reason i posted here is Critical temperature gauge came up first. sorry should have checked in more detail

will let you know how it goes! sorry again for the false alarm

@Teilnehmer ok this is strange, i remove Critical Temp mod, everything loads just fine on launch, now either it;s a conflict between some other mod or it;s something else, i just cant figure it out

here is the log and player-log maybe you can make something out of it i am all out of ideas

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w1mj4wj7le2qqv2/AADgTIb4JhoFBc-JkNXlA7xua?dl=0

I managed to narrow down what is happening, The problem goes away either by removing this mod or KSTS, so either there is a conflict or one or the other mod is causing problems, i raised the issue on KSTS thread with @linuxgurugamer will wait what he has to say so we can find the culprit.

I'll take a look at this

• 1 month later...
On 5/12/2020 at 12:06 PM, KIMCHI said:

How do I hide my XE-0025 Radator grids from showing the gauges? It drops my frames like crazy!

Thanks for the report. I’ll look at this.

As a temporary workaround, try activating the ‘ignore parts with following modules’ option with the ‘ModuleActiveRadiator’ module name:

vejp5Sz.png

BTW, what exactly is XE-0025?

Edited by Teilnehmer

19 hours ago, Teilnehmer said:

Thanks for the report. I’ll look at this.

As a temporary workaround, try activating the ‘ignore parts with following modules’ option with the ‘ModuleActiveRadiator’ module name:

vejp5Sz.png

BTW, what exactly is XE-0025?

Perfect I will give this a try. Is there a list of common Module names? I think for me just radiators and solar panels become a pain since some vessels can have 1-15 panels and radiators mixed. I love this mod its a game changer for me since I am an SSTO guy.

Version 1.9.1.0 ‘Independence’

FyTjwNg.png

On 12/9/2019 at 6:10 PM, firda said:

could you please make the usage of Toolbar Controller optional?

I realized, that I, indeed, can make all the dependencies optional!

• No more dependency on Module Manager.
  • Click-Through Blocker and Toolbar Controller are no more hard dependencies.
  • Click-Through Blocker and Toolbar Controller are still supported if installed.
  • Blizzy’s Toolbar is supported, but only if Toolbar Controller is installed.

Other improvements:

• I fixed a silly thing I didn’t realize to happen — spamming craft files with useless PartTemperatureState modules.
  • Now, the legacy GUI initialization happens before the flight starts, so it can’t hang up the game at the most unexpected moment anymore.

No performance improvements yet.

On 5/12/2020 at 12:06 PM, KIMCHI said:

How do I hide my XE-0025 Radator grids from showing the gauges? It drops my frames like crazy!

@KIMCHI, Could you please clarify, what XE-0025 Radator is (a part from some mod?) and how many of them you have on your craft.

I tried different stock radiators and other parts and could not reproduce a significant FPS drop.

On my computer, FPS depends significantly on part count and state (retracted/extended radiators) and very slightly on the presence of the mod:

8 radiators
retracted

8 radiators
extended
144 radiators
retracted
144 radiators
extended
576 radiators
retracted
576 radiators
extended
Critical Temperature Gauge
not installed
60 fps 60 fps 27 fps 20 fps 10 fps 4 fps
Critical Temperature Gauge installed,
radiator module ignored
60 fps 60 fps 27 fps 19 fps 10 fps 4 fps
Critical Temperature Gauge installed,
no ignored modules
60 fps 60 fps 26 fps 19 fps 10 fps 4 fps

• 2 weeks later...

Version 1.9.1.1 ‘Ignorance’

• Ignoring parts by name added. Both internal part names and display names can be used.
  • In the module ignore list, module names can now be written without the ‘Module’ prefix.
  • Performance optimizations for ignored parts and non-active vessels.

0FKkOvC.png

Please report bugs!

Edited by Teilnehmer

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.