Same Mouse Controls in SPH & VAB

In the VAB, the mouse wheel moves the camera up and down the stack and +shift zooms in and out.  Whilst in the SPH, the wheel zooms and +shift moves the camera higher or lower (when viewing from the side).

I can sort of see the logic (as, from the front or rear the wheel moves along the "stack") but it always takes me a while to make get things the right way around when I move from rocket to plane construction.

Might I suggest the VAB controls are used in the SPH as well?

I say no to this.  I like it that way, it makes it more intuitive when building a plane, in my opinion.  Plus, why would you need to the SPH at all if it were identical to the VAB

You know you can build a plane in the VAB and load it into the SPH.  The SPH is different on purpose, because it is geared for a different purpose.

2 hours ago, THX1138 said:

It should be user adjustable. It is jarring when you're used to one manner of control and then switch to another. 

But it is user adjustable.  If you click on the VAB, you just chose VAB controls.  If you click on the SPH, you just chose SPH controls.  The two areas are otherwise the same and you can do the same things in them.

Fun Fact: this wasn't always the case, symmetry modes used to be locked to the building, the SPH could only be mirror and the VAB could only be radial.  Those were dark times.

Edited by Alshain

8 hours ago, Alshain said:

But it is user adjustable.  If you click on the VAB, you just chose VAB controls.  If you click on the SPH, you just chose SPH controls.  The two areas are otherwise the same and you can do the same things in them.

To the best of my knowledge you cannot do a left or right traverse in the VAB, just rotations.

11 hours ago, Alshain said:

Fun Fact: this wasn't always the case, symmetry modes used to be locked to the building, the SPH could only be mirror and the VAB could only be radial.  Those were dark times.

They are not the same; they have vastly different dimensions.

54 minutes ago, THX1138 said:

They are not the same; they have vastly different dimensions.

Not as vast as you think, one is just tall while the other is long.  You would have to build a big enough plane vertically and then re position it, but that is the very reason why the controls for the SPH are different.  You don't typically build up in the SPH.  So there is no reason for the mouse wheel to move the camera up and down.  It's on the Shift key because it is a less used function.  Not so in the VAB, it is a very highly used function there and so it is on the mouse wheel.  You also don't need to pan in the VAB, like you would on a plane.  So holding the mouse button pans in the SPH but zooms in the VAB.  It's just more intuitive that way for the things you would normally build in the SPH.

Edited by Alshain

7 hours ago, THX1138 said:

Why not just make it in the VAB?

I only use the SPH in career.
Just one building to upgrade, and it can build rockets and planes...the VAB is difficult for building planes, being far from the runway and all that. The SPH feels much more free as well(if the camera rotation is not centered on the rocket in VAB, it is hard to see/place parts in awkward positions)

4 minutes ago, Blaarkies said:

I only use the SPH in career.
Just one building to upgrade, and it can build rockets and planes...the VAB is difficult for building planes, being far from the runway and all that. The SPH feels much more free as well(if the camera rotation is not centered on the rocket in VAB, it is hard to see/place parts in awkward positions)

The only reason why I use the VAB at all is that I have a huge library of crafts and when I click on the load button on the SPH, it takes quite a while to load all my crafts. If I put *some* of my craft in the VAB, the loading time is *slightly* shorter.

7 minutes ago, TheDestroyer111 said:

The only reason why I use the VAB at all is that I have a huge library of crafts and when I click on the load button on the SPH, it takes quite a while to load all my crafts. If I put *some* of my craft in the VAB, the loading time is *slightly* shorter.

Alternatively you could just keep all your craft on an entirely different directory on your hard drive and only copy the ones into the corresponding save file folder that you actually need.

4 minutes ago, Dafni said:

Alternatively you could just keep all your craft on an entirely different directory on your hard drive and only copy the ones into the corresponding save file folder that you actually need.

Unfortunately, there is no single useless craft on my save.

When you press shift+right-click and move around your mouse in the SPH you can move around (translate horizontally). I would REALLY like this to be implemented in the VAB. Zooming out only takes you so far, and when building ridiculously huge rockets (me) it gets really annoying when I can't zoom out enough to strap on more boosters.

On 20.08.2016 at 10:05 PM, Clipperride said:

Might I suggest the VAB controls are used in the SPH as well?

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

In SPH you can translate (move the camera horizontally) by holding middle mouse button (the wheel) and dragging.

That's the reason I make all my complex rockets and probes in SPH, only adding launch stages in VAB later.

If anything, use SPH controls in VAB. Do NOT take camera translation away!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.