Two Questions on Contruction

I'm very new to KSP, I like it very much, and want to learn to use every feature.

While on this forum, I saw that someone had build two identical rovers, and placed them on a frame made up of cubic struts, covered by some sort of a cone that breaks off later.  These rovers were attached perpendicular to the ground.  I'm just wondering what part would one use to detach the rovers, then reattach them for the trip home?

Second, I'm confused on how people place their creations in cargo bays.  Where do they build the part they want to put in the cargo bay?  And how does one actually place it in there, and open and close the doors on it?

Thanks!

Sincerely,

Andrew

Hi, first of all welcome to the forum.

I do not think the rovers you saw there where meant to come back to Kerbin - however if you want to detach/attach "things" you must use the docking ports (or to a lesser extent the grabbing unit a.k.a. the claw).

The "cargoes" are usually built as subassemblies - just build it as usual in the VAB or the SPH, then you can save it as a subassembly using the menu you can find in the upper left corner. Subassemblies should be saved with a root part that allows for attachment (the open node will be the connection with the cargo bay/pylon/whatever).

You will be able to select them from the same menu you used to save it. 

EDIT: I love nicks from the eighties.

Edited by Signo

First question: The only part I am aware of that allows decoupling and recoupling later, is the docking port (in stock game that is). Another thing is that rovers are rarely (if ever), designed for a return trip. Most rovers, I would think, are designed for a one way ticket. A link to posts about return-ticket-rovers would be interesting.

Edited by LN400

18 minutes ago, LN400 said:

First question: The only part I am aware of that allows decoupling and recoupling later, is the docking port (in stock game that is). Another thing is that rovers are rarely (if ever), designed for a return trip. Most rovers, I would think, are designed for a one way ticket. A link to posts about return-ticket-rovers would be interesting.

Yes, I was mistaken about the rovers haha.   Thanks for the help!  

22 minutes ago, Signo said:

Hi, first of all welcome to the forum.

I do not think the rovers you saw there where meant to come back to Kerbin - however if you want to detach/attach "things" you must use the docking ports (or to a lesser extent the grabbing unit a.k.a. the claw).

The "cargoes" are usually built as subassemblies - just build it as usual in the VAB or the SPH, then you can save it as a subassembly using the menu you can find in the upper left corner. Subassemblies should be saved with a root part that allows for attachment (the open node will be the connection with the cargo bay/pylon/whatever).

You will be able to select them from the same menu you used to save it. 

EDIT: I love nicks from the eighties.

Thank you lots!  This definitely helped!

10 hours ago, LN400 said:

If you want an reuseable rover, one way would be to have an bottom docking port on lander, then an top docking port on rover. 
Have both fixed and retractable landing legs on lander, so you can drive under lander, lift the landing legs and have rover dock, the fixed legs is needed so the lander don't fall over if it don't dock.
The other way is to use an MK3 or mod cargo bay you drive into and dock in front. 

An KSP version is to have fuel and engine on you rover so you can take it back to orbit and dock with lander. have an claw on rover so you can refuel from lander on ground, better use KAS.
Another way is to replace the landing legs on lander with wheels, you now have an rover. Downside with this is that its pretty slow and fragile. 

I did build a "reusable" rover. Chassis was basically all fuel tanks, reaction wheel and command module + docking port for refueling in orbit. Used it a lot for exploring Mun for landing sites suitable for manned landers. I say "reusable" since this one didn't have enough dv to leave the Kerbin system in any meaningful way, but it had enough to make it to Minmus for refueling before being used there.

screenshot438_zpsueyrslpt.png

screenshot465_zpsner21eyf.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.