KerbNet?

Geschosskopf

On 8/21/2016 at 2:44 PM, Alshain said:

It appears to be only limited by the number of satellites.  While ScanSAT has 'memory' of what has been scanned this new system can only see what is currently below a satellite.  If you have enough satellites you would be able to establish full coverage.  It's just a different approach.  Other than that, we don't really know what all we will be able to see, but we know biomes, easter eggs, and it looks from the screenshots like an elevation map as well.  That covers most of the ScanSAT's native functionality.

ip24PQw.gif

I haven't been able to figure out if that map window is expandable. Would be a waste to view only through a postage stamp sized viewer when I have a 27" monitor.

Can anyone confirm if it's resizable?

37 minutes ago, tjt said:

I haven't been able to figure out if that map window is expandable. Would be a waste to view only through a postage stamp sized viewer when I have a 27" monitor.

Can anyone confirm if it's resizable?

No, it is not from what I have seen.

17 hours ago, Alshain said:

No, it is not from what I have seen.

hmmm..I guess I'll reserve my final opinion for when I try it. It sure feels like a miss though. You're going to be zooming in/out or scrolling a lot in such a small viewer.

On 9/9/2016 at 1:14 PM, 5thHorseman said:

While it's (relatively) trivial to get them initially set up this way, it is impossible without editing the save (or using Hyperedit or the like) to keep them from wandering slowly from that setup. I suppose you could do little correction burns but... ew.

Like Station-keeping burns?

Sounds completely unrealistic...

(although I expect there would be fewer complaints if those burns did not all need to be done manually...)

3 hours ago, Terwin said:

Like Station-keeping burns?

Sounds completely unrealistic...

This right here is a situation where (for me of course) gameplay trumps realism. I want to fly new rockets to new destinations, not play get-your-ducks-in-a-row with a dozen-odd satellites over and over.

• 2 months later...
On 9.09.2016 at 8:14 PM, 5thHorseman said:

While it's (relatively) trivial to get them initially set up this way, it is impossible without editing the save (or using Hyperedit or the like) to keep them from wandering slowly from that setup. I suppose you could do little correction burns but... ew.

Add 'Orbital Period" to KER. You can then set your orbital period on all satellites to within a tenth of a second, and even if they wander a little relative to each other over a single orbit, due to variance in eccentricity, inclination etc, long term they will remain rock-stable.

My approach: Launch a 'carrier' with a small amount of spare delta-V. Satellites of the constellation are equipped with very weak RCS and a small bit of delta-V.

Say, you want to deploy your six satellites equidistant in a 3-day period orbit.

Place the carrier in target orbit; either geostationary, or of some nice, round number period, mostly circular. After circularizing your current orbit is 2 days, 2 hours. That's 4 hours short. Burn at prograde until your orbit is 2 days 4 hours, then circularize at apoapsis. It should get much closer. Repeat as needed, the orbit doesn't need to be perfectly circular but the period should be very close to target.

At apoapsis (or wherever if you got a neat circle) deploy first satellite, correct with RCS until the period is exact 3 days to a second or better.

Switch to carrier. Burn retrograde until your period is 5/6th of the target, so 2 days 3 hours. Warp to apoapsis, Deploy another satellite and give it a prograde burn to period of 3 days sharp.

Correct your carrier back to 2.5 day after the decoupler jerked it. Repeat.

That way you can set up a rock-stable constellation that will not drift apart for years to come.

• 2 months later...
On 8/21/2016 at 1:59 PM, Chemp said:

It's a trap!

...but if no such connection is present, KerbNet will evolve into Skynet, nuking the KSC and scuttling your space program. We will first see bug reports, then a communiqué by the dev's that all is in perfect order, followed by a long silence. On the remaining instances of KSP, robots disguised as Kerbals will appear in the Astronaut Complex, distinguishable from your normal recruits only by the fact that they are incredibly BadS and have a certain red glow in their eyes. You can imagine the rest.

Stay away from 1.2! It will be our doom!!! :sticktongue:

Edit: An unexpected visitor with a stern expression and a heavy accent just "suggested" correcting my previous statement.

Of course, Kermanzooming is absolutely right.

lol funny joke

On 12/2/2016 at 8:41 AM, Sharpy said:

Add 'Orbital Period" to KER. You can then set your orbital period on all satellites to within a tenth of a second, and even if they wander a little relative to each other over a single orbit, due to variance in eccentricity, inclination etc, long term they will remain rock-stable.

My approach: Launch a 'carrier' with a small amount of spare delta-V. Satellites of the constellation are equipped with very weak RCS and a small bit of delta-V.

Say, you want to deploy your six satellites equidistant in a 3-day period orbit.

Place the carrier in target orbit; either geostationary, or of some nice, round number period, mostly circular. After circularizing your current orbit is 2 days, 2 hours. That's 4 hours short. Burn at prograde until your orbit is 2 days 4 hours, then circularize at apoapsis. It should get much closer. Repeat as needed, the orbit doesn't need to be perfectly circular but the period should be very close to target.

At apoapsis (or wherever if you got a neat circle) deploy first satellite, correct with RCS until the period is exact 3 days to a second or better.

Switch to carrier. Burn retrograde until your period is 5/6th of the target, so 2 days 3 hours. Warp to apoapsis, Deploy another satellite and give it a prograde burn to period of 3 days sharp.

Correct your carrier back to 2.5 day after the decoupler jerked it. Repeat.

That way you can set up a rock-stable constellation that will not drift apart for years to come.

I don't know if KER has "sideral period with target" but I use that with mechjeb to synchronize my sats. I can get that up in the hundreds of millions of years. Which means that my sats will only move a degree relative to each other every million years or so. Should be good enough.

• 2 years later...
1 hour ago, jpinard said:

How do you use waypoints in the game?  Is it only for aircraft?

I install Waypont Manager so I can see them on the screen and not just in map mode.

But even in map mode only, you can click a waypoint and activate navigation to it, and then it'll show up on your navball.

But Waypoint Manager is much better.

1 hour ago, 5thHorseman said:

I install Waypont Manager so I can see them on the screen and not just in map mode.

But even in map mode only, you can click a waypoint and activate navigation to it, and then it'll show up on your navball.

But Waypoint Manager is much better.

Cool thanks!

Yeah, I wonder if this feature will get another pass or update with future dlc? Honestly, I'd pay for ScanSat to me made stock and replace Kerbnet.. it has/had cool parts, better maps, cool scan-over-time thing... it really added purpose to missions just like the new surface-science-over-time parts in Breaking Ground. I'm getting off topic... but ScanSat is precisely what a lot of us in the community are asking for in regards to an orbital-science-over-time pack/parts/feature.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.