To clip or not to clip? (Fun, pointless poll)

b0ss

Are you okay with part clipping?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Are you okay with part clipping?

• No.
    • No, unless the amount of hidden surface on a given part does not exceed 20%-30%
    • Yes, unless the amount of hidden surface on a given part exceeds 50%-75%
    • Yes.

14 hours ago, DualDesertEagle said:

I mostly use it for stuff like getting radially attached batteries out of the air stream

...by the way: it doesn't actually do that, at least not in stock.  Radially attached parts generate drag regardless of placement, due to the game's simplistic aero model.  Clipping them inside another part won't actually affect your aerodynamics.

If you're running FAR, though, it does work (or at least, that's my understanding-- I don't run FAR myself), since it has a more geometry-aware model.

I'll clip for basic positioning of things (smoothing out radially attached tailcones, for example) or micro-precise rover design. I try to avoid doing it to large items or with extensive overlap.

It's not a hard and fast rule, though.

Edited by foamyesque

Whenever I start a new game or mission, I tell myself no clipping. But that usually only lasts a couple minutes. Then I go back to making sure everything looks nice. However, it's usually just batteries and radial monoprop tanks or small things like that. Never engines or fuel takes.

Yes, if the result is neat and somewhat logical.

I clip stuff into the empty space in the middle of docking ports on regular basis. Lights, winches, probe cores.

I consider the MK1 structural fuselage a container. Same about the large reaction wheel.

I clip the cubic octagonal strut into surfaces all the time, creating surface attach points.

I clip airplane wheels with impunity. You should be able to tune their height.

If attachment node is on the wrong side of a flat object, I just rotate it 180 degrees; e.g. mk3 structural plates facing up - the triple node for engines.

Sometimes I clip struts -e.g a part surface-mounted clips a tiny bit into the one it's attached to  - I freely draw a strut to its counterpart on the opposite side across the middle part.

Anything flat, surface-attached to a surface part, sinks until the edges are flush with the surface.

I love to clip fuel ducts through mostly everything. They should not be in the open at all.

Although my favorite example currently must be the Nukejet hybrid engine.

2015-07-07_00007.jpg

But I tend to commit worse crime: moving apart. Currently, I'm building a "space village". Most modules have their docking ports a whole VAB length away.

25 minutes ago, Sharpy said:

Yes, if the result is neat and somewhat logical.

I clip stuff into the empty space in the middle of docking ports on regular basis. Lights, winches, probe cores.

I consider the MK1 structural fuselage a container. Same about the large reaction wheel.

I clip the cubic octagonal strut into surfaces all the time, creating surface attach points.

I clip airplane wheels with impunity. You should be able to tune their height.

If attachment node is on the wrong side of a flat object, I just rotate it 180 degrees; e.g. mk3 structural plates facing up - the triple node for engines.

Sometimes I clip struts -e.g a part surface-mounted clips a tiny bit into the one it's attached to  - I freely draw a strut to its counterpart on the opposite side across the middle part.

Anything flat, surface-attached to a surface part, sinks until the edges are flush with the surface.

I love to clip fuel ducts through mostly everything. They should not be in the open at all.

Although my favorite example currently must be the Nukejet hybrid engine.

But I tend to commit worse crime: moving apart. Currently, I'm building a "space village". Most modules have their docking ports a whole VAB length away.

How do you clip fuel ducts? 

11 minutes ago, magnemoe said:

How do you clip fuel ducts? 

Nothing must obstruct the path. Clip the two end parts into the part you drive the duct through, then maneuver the camera into that part, attach one end, turn around, move the camera into the part again, attach the other end. You may need to move the whole vehicle off center of VAB to be able to do that.

QduYnQm.jpg

Tell me if that isn't neat! (also note the panels perfectly aligned on the ISRU. They can't be attached to ISRU at all. They are in fact attached to the reaction wheel, then moved into that position.

1 minute ago, Sharpy said:

Nothing must obstruct the path. Clip the two end parts into the part you drive the duct through, then maneuver the camera into that part, attach one end, turn around, move the camera into the part again, attach the other end. You may need to move the whole vehicle off center of VAB to be able to do that.

QduYnQm.jpg

Tell me if that isn't neat! (also note the panels perfectly aligned on the ISRU. They can't be attached to ISRU at all. They are in fact attached to the reaction wheel, then moved into that position.

Very nice, and thank for the tips with the isru :)

@magnemoe One more thingy. Drills can be attached to the panels. You may make the panels flush with the surface, or you may hang them down from the craft near to the ground level, and hang the drills to the very bottom.

pXJAVnU.jpg

This panel is in fact attached to the same fuselage as the nuke in the center. It can cool both the engine and the drill.

JlkCiYH.jpg

One more thing good for extreme clippers: construct in SPH. The camera can be "translated" by dragging with the middle button (wheel) depressed. That way it's quite easy to move it into parts.

Edited by Sharpy

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.