Kerbal Deluxe Development help

I'm in the process of figuring out how to make planets myself. I'm using Gimp and downloaded a Gimp plugin NormalMap that takes a height map and makes a normal map. Used Wilber to make the height map. Biomes are just a png or dss picture with a color for each biome - you then refer to the RGB color in the cfg file - example a pure red spot on the biome map would have an entry in the config file like:

Biome
                    {
                            name = Shallows
                            value = 1.0
                            color = 1,0,0,1
                    }

Note: color = Red, Green, Blue, Alpha so pure red is 1, 0, 0, 1 (Alpha is 1 unless your using transparency in your biome colors - no real need to do that)

Planet ideas

Tyr: a dark red jupiter like gas gaint.

Rigoo: a tiny asteroid orbiting Tyr with a molten surface and a super volcano.

Frith: a big moon with a lot of mountains and flood valleys between those mountains.

Roho: Tyr last moon thats a small snowball that has a gaint crack in it.

Wyth: a very orange gas gaint that's about the size of eve but it has the half the mass of Jool.

Dery: a sandy and Oceany moon with a sea on the side that faces Wyth becuase the tides from Wyth pull the water there.

Grid: a dull boring moon.

Wyth's last moon Kyl: an egg shape moon the rotates once evry 30 minutes.

Kriff: A gaint purple gas gaint thats bigger than Jool.

Jov: A dark red Minmus like world.

Tholk: A ringed Pol like moon.

Ghit: A Icy world with a few cracks with lava coming out.

Coma: A bright green comet the passes by every 230 years.

Whink: A tiny moonlet orbiting Coma.

Luto: A Icy dwarf planet with a heart.

Piddle: A Red moon for Luto.

Uty: Luto's small captured Moon.

Ty: Uty's submoonlet.

Vul: A lava world closer to the sun than Moho.

Veebol: A gray world that's more boring than Dres.

Vl2: Veelbol's moon.

Hame: A oval shaped dwarf planet.

Spoo: Asteroid Orbiting Hame.

Woo:Other asteroid orbiting Hame.

Lint: Dres's "interesting" moon.

Dibble:A N.K.A(Near Kerbin Asteroid.)

Diboon: Dibble's Moonlet.

Dibit:Diboon's Submoonlet.

Dibis:Dibit's little subsubmoonlet.

Dib: the 3 kilometer big subsubsubmoonlet of Dibis that everybody seems to care about.

Floon: Moho's little moon.

Coople: Jool's new far out heavily cratered moon.

Xen: A far out dwarf planet dubbed the Luto killer.

Dy: Xen's Huge Lava moon.

Orcule:Another Luto Killer.

Van: Orcule's moon

Sel: A distant Dwarf.

Froggle: A gaint blue Duna like world the has only completed 50 oribits around Kerbol so far

And lastly Klin and Thik Eeloo's two little shepered moon's.

Also Eeloo now has rings like Chariklo.

That's most of my idea's and the most planet's my computer can handle.

So no more planets.:D

Edited by Plink456

8 hours ago, Plink456 said:

I found out I'm bad at making textures and height maps.

Only one way to get better!

But seriously - if you really want to do them do so. If they don't turn out so be it - you'll probably look back and realized you've learned something along the way and if you decide to try again it will probably be better.

Hey, hey, hey. Don't give up just yet! I could collaborate on this if you'd like, provide better gas giant textures (don't want to offend you, but the current ones look like something made with MS Paint, I could make a better texture for that with my GIMP skills), and help you with building all of  those planets without using external textures, using only code.

The thing is though that you seem to give up easily. Let me tell you something, when I was learning the basics of Kopernicus there were times where the thought 'screw it, I'll never get the hang of this' crossed my mind, but I wanted to make planets, so dang I'd make those planets too! I stayed determined and I kept staring at configs until I understood it.

Nowadays I've made several tutorials to help people understand it better, but like driving, real experience is gained in the field. You can't just read a guide and expect to make flawless planets, you may know what to write, but the only way to truly envision the effects of your settings is by trial and error, just keep coding!

The problem I see with Rigoo in the image is a deformity and frequency that is way too high for a body it's size. Also, try setting Gilly or Ike as a template when making asteroids, since those have asteroid-like properties it'll give the final product asteroid-like properties as well.

For lava you need a new texture, I can provide that as well, and a mod called HazardousOcean, which I'm more than happy to write for you. Craters is VoronoiCraters, which I'll have to explain in detail.

But don't lose hope yet!

Yay I'm not giving up yet. and yes the texture were made in ms paint and gimp because those are the only paint softwares I have but don't worry I'll make better ones. The only reason why Rigoo is Kerbin for the ocean I'm Probally goin to change it though

Maybe I could chip in for help as well? I`m getting better at coding using kopernicus So I could rig up the configs if you find them messy. Also, I can set one of your planets as a main menu body :P

(And I could help construct bodies as well.)

Just now, Plink456 said:

Hey that would be awsome and that space engine texture will be used.

Just be careful, like white guardian said. People dont like using space engine. I suggest you start off with space engine while making basic maps of planets using something NOT ms paint, and when your art skills have improved. Add detailed maps that you make using the art tool!

Any way I've added Dibble,Coople,and Roho and Dibble is almost done because has a bop texture that's round which i'll edit a little bit but it nice

Spoiler

The first body is Coople. Note its ASL is 3g which is a lot and it orbits Jool retrograde. I will change the texture later.mdws2KP.png

Spoiler

Here's Tyr with rings  m60FT0R.png

Spoiler

Here's Rigoo again

3w1afWS.png  

Spoiler
Spoiler

Some how I put a spoiler in a spoiler.

Here's Roho. Um I Forgot to take screen shot the image in here but it looks like Eeloo and I'll get an image with stats soon.

Spoiler

Here's Wyth and it's boring.  YhlyllA.png 

Spoiler

Here's the giant planet called Kriff  TN5YuhY.png 

Spoiler

And finally Dibble.  OSXE9aT.png 

that's all the planet's for now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.