[WIP] [Kopernicus] The Death Star v0.3

cubinator

DEATH STAR v0.3 FOR KSP 1.2.1

*this*

This is a Kopernicus addon meant to recreate the original Death Star. It features a superlaser crater and an equatorial trench. I made it because I felt KSP is severely lacking in proper Star Wars mods, so I did what is within my abilities to provide you with this.

SCREENSHOTS:

http://imgur.com/a/Uv3IL

http://imgur.com/a/qeUiW

Old albums:

Spoiler

It is very, very crude for the moment, but patience! Improve it will, in time.

DOWNLOAD:

Spacedock

CKAN (Yes, it's really there now!)

LICENSE:

Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International Public License

INSTRUCTIONS:

Choose which location you want the Death Star to be in, then merge the corresponding GameData folder into the GameData folder in the KSP directory.

This mod requires Kopernicus to function.

CHANGELOG:

Spoiler

0.3: Added option to move the Death Star to Jool orbit, and slightly patched up the crater blockiness.

0.2: Heightmap now lines up much better with color map. Crater now less blocky. Apparently that's a bit harder to fix than I thought.

0.1: Released with very crude maps. They don't even line up!

PLANNED FEATURES:

• Higher quality color and height maps
  • Several small trenches at different latitudes
  • Replace rocky ground texture with a custom one
  • City lights on the night side (unconfirmed)

The TIE Fighter in the pictures uses BDArmory, K.I.E. Fighter, and Star Wars Mod.

Thanks to @linuxgurugamer for making a CKAN entry for this!

Edited by cubinator
0.3 update

3 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

Can it Fire its Lazor?

It doesn't have one, but if someone were to make a small part that acts as a superlaser and land it in the center of the crater... :)

3 hours ago, Starslinger999 said:

(Also, Can u make a second one like the Death Star ll?)

Not the incomplete version, but you could make it bigger in the config if you wanted to.

1 hour ago, daniel l. said:

Looks great! Though i do notice that the surface still uses the same ground texture as is used on the stock worlds, I think it would be best to use a metallic texture instead perhaps with a high specularity as well.

How do I change it? I don't think the Death Star looks very metallic, but it's definitely not rocky either and I'd like to reflect that in my mod.

3 hours ago, LaytheDragon said:

Don't forget an inconveniently-placed thermal exhaust port leading into the center of the moon death star for us to fire our makeshift proton torpedoes into!

Not to worry. It won't be all the way to the center, but it'll be deep enough, and in a trench. I won't tell where, though. You'll have to figure that out yourself, but it shouldn't be hard. I'll probably get to it in a version or two.

22 hours ago, cubinator said:

How do I change it? I don't think the Death Star looks very metallic, but it's definitely not rocky either and I'd like to reflect that in my mod.

By editing this:

Spoiler

Material
            {
                deepTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                deepMultiTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                mainTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                mainMultiTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                highTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                highMultiTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                snowTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                snowMultiTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                steepTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
            }

It goes inside the PQS{} section just change the textures to the address of a metal texture that you like :)

40 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

By editing this:

Hide contents

Material
            {
                deepTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                deepMultiTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                mainTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                mainMultiTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                highTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                highMultiTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                snowTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                snowMultiTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
                steepTex = BUILTIN/terrain_rock00
            }

It goes inside the PQS{} section just change the textures to the address of a metal texture that you like :)

Cool. One Two Three questions though: Do I replace the whole "BUILTIN/terrain_rock00" with "folder/folder/file" or should I write "BUILTIN/folder/folder/file"? Also, is there a specific place I should put the texture file, or is it ok with the maps in GameData/deathstar/textures? And where in the filepath should I start?

I think that's all... :blush:

Version 0.2 is released with a slightly better heightmap! The next features I will work on are probably these:

• Small trenches for true Star Wars-style trench dogfights
  • Trying to make the crater as smooth as possible
  • Getting the heightmap to show up in map view

2 hours ago, Slamnam said:

I'm noticing that some of the contracts i had previously taken have had the destination names swapped with "Death Star", Is it taking priority over Mun as the closest celestial object to Kerbin?

That's odd...must be the tractor beam. :sticktongue:

Did any of those contracts involve Ike, perchance? Ike is the template in the Kopernicus config file.

Edited by cubinator

7 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

What's it's diameter? Gravity?

It's about the same size as the original, with much-too-high density like the other stock bodies.

7 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

If I can, I'd love to help create a map of sorts and help do the fine details. I can't mod but I do know Star Wars :) ! 

Thanks! I'd love to make it look more like this up close:

Image result for death star close up

2 hours ago, cubinator said:

It's about the same size as the original, with much-too-high density like the other stock bodies.

Thanks! I'd love to make it look more like this up close:

Image result for death star close up

So what is the gravity and diameter? XD

Ill do what I can in the next few days!

22 hours ago, cubinator said:

Cool. One Two Three questions though: Do I replace the whole "BUILTIN/terrain_rock00" with "folder/folder/file" or should I write "BUILTIN/folder/folder/file"? Also, is there a specific place I should put the texture file, or is it ok with the maps in GameData/deathstar/textures? And where in the filepath should I start?

I think that's all... :blush:

Yes you replace BUILTIN/terrain_rock00 with folder/folder/file and you can start anywhere as long as the texture is within gamedata.

4 hours ago, ZooNamedGames said:

So what is the gravity and diameter? XD

You can snoop around in deathstar.cfg if you want to! :D 

radius = 60000
			geeASL = 0.07

2 hours ago, tygoo7 said:

Like @daniel l. said, that detail could be somewhat achieved with a custom ground texture. I'm not sure how it works but if you want I could whip up a death star texture like in that pic sometime.

Make whatever texture you like! If you make it you can implement it! I am going to try to make one myself, too.

5 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Yes you replace BUILTIN/terrain_rock00 with folder/folder/file and you can start anywhere as long as the texture is within gamedata.

Cool. I think in the next update I'll leave that in the config so people can edit in their own ground textures if they want. Do you know if it's possible to have different textures for different biomes? I always imagined the superlaser having a smoother look up close than the rest of the station.

9 hours ago, tygoo7 said:

Actually from a quick google search, there seems to be some nice ones out there already. Not sure about the licensing on them though, but it gives a nice idea.

I know, but to avoid any potential legal issues I'm going to make mine from scratch. I don't want any more hassle than I need in making this Death Star for all of us.

Edited by cubinator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.