A Dream of Two Worlds - Chapter Eight: A Bump in the Night

Andem

I got really attached to Effusus and it's characters. In fact, I've grown so attached to Enfurt, he might make an appearance! Unfortunately, the kraken, on the other hand, wasn't to keen on the idea. Hopefully, this story gets to be told without upset. This will be a "Career Lite" game with little care or consideration for realistic progression, and I hope y'all enjoy!

St3SJT3.png

A7uI0f9.png

7ALXbZk.png

jQi2CRS.png

AtLtwnN.png

2XMZ3hz.png

t3zuc5n.jpg

1ftMbG1.jpg

wAfwGc2.png

Edited by Andem

20 minutes ago, Crocket said:

Nice! Sorry to see the Kraken ate Effusus!

19 minutes ago, Just Jim said:

I am so glad you're not letting the Kraken stop you completely! 

And I'm out of likes, so I'll catch up tomorrow

Thanks! I'm sorry to see it go as well, But I'm determined to keep this one going! I've learned a lot, and I think I've found a good style for me.

What visual mods are you using? It looks absolutely gorgeous!

I really, really like how you're able to tell the story with mostly pictures. You're able to show us your story, rather than tell us your story, and I find that really cool.

Yes, really, really good. What Mjp1050 said.

In fact I would go a step further and say that I've been waiting/hoping for a KSP story-in-pictures like this for some time. Something a little more contemplative than the usual shenanigans that Jeb, Bill and Bob get up to. And this is one of the very few graphic novels I've seen that has its own unique visual style.

Minmus looks very alien. The focus blur you use in some frames look good (but I would have focussed on the VAB in the shot of the KSC).

Pic heaviness? Use as many as you need to tell your story.

In fact, the only technical thing I can find to say is about your text boxes: I find they stand out a little too harshly. Maybe try a softer edge, or, in some frames with little text, do without them? Just a thought.

Keep doing this, sir, and you will be the Nassault of KSP graphic novels.

4 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

What visual mods are you using? It looks absolutely gorgeous!

SVE, Scatterer, Planetshine, DOE, Revamped Stock System, GemFX.

4 hours ago, Mjp1050 said:

I really, really like how you're able to tell the story with mostly pictures. You're able to show us your story, rather than tell us your story, and I find that really cool.

1 hour ago, UnusualAttitude said:

Yes, really, really good. What Mjp1050 said.

In fact I would go a step further and say that I've been waiting/hoping for a KSP story-in-pictures like this for some time. Something a little more contemplative than the usual shenanigans that Jeb, Bill and Bob get up to. And this is one of the very few graphic novels I've seen that has its own unique visual style.

Minmus looks very alien. The focus blur you use in some frames look good (but I would have focussed on the VAB in the shot of the KSC).

Pic heaviness? Use as many as you need to tell your story.

In fact, the only technical thing I can find to say is about your text boxes: I find they stand out a little too harshly. Maybe try a softer edge, or, in some frames with little text, do without them? Just a thought.

Keep doing this, sir, and you will be the Nassault of KSP graphic novels.

Thank you both soo much! I was really trying to find a good balance between pictures and text, and I honestly much prefer the ability to let the screenshots make a narrative of their own. I was heavily inspired by both Nassault's "Voyager" and "Emerald Sunrise." This XKCD:

spirit.png

was probably the first inspiration for this chapter, and I got very excited when the "Fly by Minmus" contract cropped up.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback, I'm going to get working on the next chapter soon.

Well, it sucks that the Kraken has taken another save. A moment of silence.  ;.;

But, like a Phoenix out of its ashes, here comes something awesome. Everything looks good, the story, the visuals, the probes. Good work. I'll be following along.

I've run into a game-breaking bug. -.- Fret not, I've run into it before, I'll sort it out eventually.

--EDIT-- Might have something to do with B9. Testing now.

Edited by Andem

That chapter was a feast! I love the bit about the static, and that I probably shouldn't feel emotionally invested in a space probe that burns up in the atmosphere. Anyways, wonderful work and can't wait for more!

4 hours ago, Andem said:

I've run into a game-breaking bug. -.- Fret not, I've run into it before, I'll sort it out eventually.

--EDIT-- Might have something to do with B9. Testing now.

Oh dear. The Kraken is not a huge fan of your work, it seems.

Cephalopods have no sense of art. 

Edited by Mjp1050

2 minutes ago, Mjp1050 said:

Oh dear. The Kraken is not a huge fan of your work, it seems.

I think it was a kraken f my own design... I went into the physics.cfg to give kerbals some mass when in command pods, and I don't think KSP liked that too much. Either way, I'll do more testing tomorrow.

Update: the Alt-F2 menu is pointing fingers at Extraplanetary Launchpads, testing is ongoing.

--EDIT--

Re-installed Extraplanetary Launchpads, and everything seems to be working. :)

Edited by Andem

7 minutes ago, Fobok said:

Love it! But... how did you do the tether? I didn't think that was possible anymore. It's something I could desperately use. :) 

I used a KAS Winch placed inside of a Universal Storage Science Bay, When I sent Val on EVA I had her hook the winch up to her back. Completely cosmetic, but I thought it looked cool. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.