[1.12.x] TAC - Life Support v0.18.0 - Release 19th Sep 2021

JPLRepo

hey @JPLRepo

I've  got a quick question. I read yesterday on your github tutorial that the life support is configured in a way that kerbals permanently use EC etc when on EVA, even on Kerbin.
Just out of curiosity, why is it like that? I mean that Kerbals are getting hungry and thirsty seems legit, but using EC for their EVA suits while being in a breathable atmosphere seems kinda off.

Looking forward for your answer, and thanks for this mod! :)

cheers
benti

On 25/01/2018 at 9:06 PM, fingal56 said:

Hi JPLRepo

as I was testing 1.3.1 pre-release of the mod,  it seems like background processing EC works only with stock solar panels and fuel cells. Other generators just shut down on unloaded vessels. This means any of non stock EC generators won't work by default. Turning off background processing doesn't revert to original functionality, assuming I tested it right.

I am using MKS reactors which causes problems  since I migrated from KSP 1.1.3. Is there any option to write a config file or something to enable such processing on custom parts ?

I would like to put some effort into it and maybe even code another generator handler if necessarry. It would need proper charge rates and consume nuclear fuel. Is there anything like that in progress or should I look into it by myself ? Code on Github looks fairly readable to me.

Will be glad for any opinion or hints how to proceed.

Code is on github as you have found. It would want to be readable seeing how that’s my job. :P Submit pull requests to dev branch. Cheers.

8 hours ago, Benti said:

hey @JPLRepo

I've  got a quick question. I read yesterday on your github tutorial that the life support is configured in a way that kerbals permanently use EC etc when on EVA, even on Kerbin.
Just out of curiosity, why is it like that? I mean that Kerbals are getting hungry and thirsty seems legit, but using EC for their EVA suits while being in a breathable atmosphere seems kinda off.

Looking forward for your answer, and thanks for this mod! :)

cheers
benti

The page may be out of date. I’d have to check or someone can confirm if they do use EC on EVA in a breathable atmosphere? Seems like a sensible change to not consume EC with those conditions true.

On 27/01/2018 at 1:08 AM, cowmoomoonoob said:

Hey, I absolutely love this mod but, can you make it so that the need for life support is optional? like in the menu when you're creating a new save, I think it should be a setting. Idk if someone has already asked for this but it'd be neat.

You already can in the difficulty settings of each save game. Not sure where you are looking.

Hey, electricity is such a hassle... I have perfect power maintenance but oh poof! Dead Kerbal because for some reason when you do 10^5 warp the millisecond required for 6 hours to kill a Kerbol might go so fast that you can’t fix it and so they just instantly die. Lost about 12 kerbals in my newest game already and all of those are deaths caused because of this repurposed bovine waste...

apologizing  for the ‘tone’ but I’m tired and angry, mod is great and been using for years.

I want to turn the death due to air toxicity off, how do I do this please?

the very best regards,

Bishiba

Edited by Bishiba

On 1/26/2018 at 9:08 AM, cowmoomoonoob said:

Hey, I absolutely love this mod but, can you make it so that the need for life support is optional? like in the menu when you're creating a new save, I think it should be a setting. Idk if someone has already asked for this but it'd be neat.

It already is, and you can toggle it on and off whenever you want.  Under difficulty settings.

screenshot490.png

On ‎1‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, Bishiba said:

Hey, electricity is such a hassle... I have perfect power maintenance but oh poof! Dead Kerbal because for some reason when you do 10^5 warp the millisecond required for 6 hours to kill a Kerbol might go so fast that you can’t fix it and so they just instantly die. Lost about 12 kerbals in my newest game already and all of those are deaths caused because of this repurposed bovine waste...

apologizing  for the ‘tone’ but I’m tired and angry, mod is great and been using for years.

I want to turn the death due to air toxicity off, how do I do this please?

the very best regards,

Bishiba

Have you tried changing the settings? The post after yours even has a helpful screenshot. You could also go to the wiki: https://github.com/KSP-RO/TacLifeSupport/wiki/Description for more info.

Hey @JPLRepo, I have a suggestion. Although Universal Storage isn't a dependency for this mod, if you have it, it works very well. The TAC-LS Water Splitter works (per the description) by splitting water into "Oxygen and Waste (Hydrogen)". I checked the google spreadsheet authored by @TaranisElsu, and all of the waste is truly hydrogen (per the numbers). By changing the output resource in the config for the splitter from "Waste" to "Hydrogen", those who have Universal Storage can then store the hydrogen (for other uses) in the US containers. I still recommend leaving "DumpExcess" to "true" (as it currently is). This way, for those who don't use US, there won't be any noticeable difference. For those who do, there will be a positive impact.

I changed it in my own config and will upload or give you a link, at your request, if you like my recommendation. Thank you!

I'm getting warning messages about low oxygen/water/food on one of my vessels despite there being enough resources for the crew to survive another 80 days in space. Only reason I can think for these warnings is that the life support container is now less than 10% full. These warnings are getting a tad annoying every screen change - Is there a way to change the alert system to warn me based on time remaining instead of this method?

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere in this or the old thread, there was a request to add support for CTT (Community Tech Tree).

There is already an old file that does not include newer TAC parts and is disabled from before the fork under:
GameData\ThunderAerospace\TacLifeSupport\MM_TAC-LS_CTT.disabled

I have updated this file and renamed it to .cfg.
If CTT is installed it will put all inline containers to the tech node "Advanced Survivability" and all converters to "Recycling". Feel free to add this change to your repo.

Edit: Ok, I made a python script to scan for all parts in a mod and create a template file for CTT. I saw that I forgot the MFT parts and also split the large tanks into later tech nodes. Long story short: The file gets to big to post here, so take this pastbin link if interested: https://pastebin.com/QsyPEdgK

Have Fun.

Edited by Jim_Panzee

In the course of my latest venture Kerbalside I noticed that my life support info was screwed up. It was listing ships that were long defunct and kerbals that were rescue contracts that had been archived, all apparently with 17 yrs food, oxy etc. It even claimed Bill was on EVA several times when I know damn well He`s at home with his feet up reading this months "Astronauts Digest". It`s all listed in the save persistant file but any attempt to delete or fiddle with any of it either results in a refusal to load a save or if it does then it`s broken TAC to the point it doesn`t recognise any further flights.

If it`s permanently broke I`ll be will naffed off as in this career mode I`ve gone from lighting firework rockets through to flying warp capable starships that take you to far distant worlds that you can only dream of ( if you`ve had cheese before bedtime). Has anyone any ideas how to "reset" TAC`s config or is it all doomed.

6 hours ago, SpaceDuderino said:

In the course of my latest venture Kerbalside I noticed that my life support info was screwed up. It was listing ships that were long defunct and kerbals that were rescue contracts that had been archived, all apparently with 17 yrs food, oxy etc. It even claimed Bill was on EVA several times when I know damn well He`s at home with his feet up reading this months "Astronauts Digest". It`s all listed in the save persistant file but any attempt to delete or fiddle with any of it either results in a refusal to load a save or if it does then it`s broken TAC to the point it doesn`t recognise any further flights.

If it`s permanently broke I`ll be will naffed off as in this career mode I`ve gone from lighting firework rockets through to flying warp capable starships that take you to far distant worlds that you can only dream of ( if you`ve had cheese before bedtime). Has anyone any ideas how to "reset" TAC`s config or is it all doomed.

Logs and mod lists help. I've been using TAC-LS for years (in both real and Kerbal-time) and have never experienced this issue, so I suspect there's an interaction between mods at work here. But without logs and such, it makes it difficult to help you. 

Have you tried changing the TAC-LS settings for the mod itself to see if the changes properly propagate?

Read this BEFORE asking for supporthttp://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/83212-how-to-get-support-read-first/

Thanks for your response, turns out reinstalling TAC sorted it out...now before you clap your hand over your eyes and groan...I had thought I`d done this already but what I did do is cut the mod from Gamedata and paste it to the desktop, run KSP then paste it back. Must be corrupted in there somewhere. I do have a few mods installed which I suffer lag from e.g. GPP and G-OPP and all the pretties and I now face putting another 4gb module alongside the 12gb already installed. I`m pretty sure it`s needed as there is definite heavy hard drive activity after Kerbalising for a while. Anyhow, thanks again for your reply and I promise not to be such a plank in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, JedTech said:

Has anyone attempted to see how Tac Life Support works in 1.4.1?

parts seem to work fine. Life support stuff also works, and is being consumed by Kerbals. I'm a bit unsure if it kills them if anything runs out. Icons doesn't work, neither does life support projections or options menu. 

4 hours ago, DrGonzo94 said:

parts seem to work fine. Life support stuff also works, and is being consumed by Kerbals. I'm a bit unsure if it kills them if anything runs out. Icons doesn't work, neither does life support projections or options menu. 

I don't think the water purifier is working in time warp. Many Kerbals died to bring us this information.  (other things might be screwy as well, but this was the one I noticed)

46 minutes ago, hraban said:

Hello JPLRepo,

unfortunately I found a small but important bug. If a Kerbal is equipped with the alternative spacesuit no TAC-LS resources are available on EVA missions.

ah yes.... well seeing how I messed up Module Manager. Shall fix that pronto

Hi JPLREPO,

I really enjoy TAC and unfortunately I have downloaded the most up to date version for 1.4 and it no longer works. I have the resources although they never get depleted which is a shame. Any advise?

I have not changed my mod set. Is there any obvious thing to check?

Regards,

Edited by tmynott2511

On 3/19/2018 at 12:52 AM, tmynott2511 said:

Hi JPLREPO,

I really enjoy TAC and unfortunately I have downloaded the most up to date version for 1.4 and it no longer works. I have the resources although they never get depleted which is a shame. Any advise?

I have not changed my mod set. Is there any obvious thing to check?

Regards,

My advice would be to read the opening post:

For support please ensure you are following these instructions.
From now on I will NOT respond to requests for support if you have not at least attempted to follow these simple steps.
NO LOG = NO SUPPORT.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.