[1.12.x] TAC - Life Support v0.18.0 - Release 19th Sep 2021

JPLRepo

8 minutes ago, BlackMoons said:

Very nice, installing now. Will I have to switch back to vessels to 'fix' them one last time or should it all be good?

I don't think it will fix them sorry. If your vessel doesn't have any resources it won't magically create any.

I mean fix as in, prevent the EC counter from counting down on a ship that actually has full EC.

EC time remaining seems very stable, went about a year at 100,000x speed.

When I switched back to a craft after a very long time, I noticed that my resource recyclers (the 1.25m water filter and such) played the 'catch up game' and ran at super high output for a few seconds even though I was at 1x timewarp, then settled down.

Still, given I have 4 years of oxygen on my main station, compared to the 10 days of EC, Im OK with switching to my stations every year or two.

I do wonder though if carbon dioxide/waste water might overflow and be lost? Ah well, Its not a big deal to add 1+ year of waste storage too.

Edited by BlackMoons

1 minute ago, BlackMoons said:

I mean fix as in, prevent the EC counter from counting down on a ship that actually has full EC.

EC time remaining seems very stable, went about a year at 100,000x speed.

When I switched back to a craft after a very long time, I noticed that my resource recyclers (the 1.25m water filter and such) played the 'catch up game' and ran at super high output for a few seconds even though I was at 1x timewarp, then settled down.

Still, given I have 4 years of oxygen on my main station, compared to the 10 days of EC, Im OK with switching to my stations every year or two.

you shouldn't need to no...

{edit] - but it's a dev/test build.
I'm looking for feedback on what people see and if it's fixed.

1 hour ago, JPLRepo said:

you shouldn't need to no...

{edit] - but it's a dev/test build.

Ok well put me in the 'It just worked' category. Using KSPI though I think all my nuclear powered things have auxillery solar because I though it was KSPI reactors that where not working well with TAC. Nuclear powered EC remaining never budged, while stictly solar powered would drop by the expected 6~ minutes and recover or whatever every little while when it went into shadow.

Thank you very much for working on TAC! its a great mod.

Edited by BlackMoons

8 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

@severedsolo and anyone else that has tried the latest test build in the last 24-48 hours.
I think I've finally fixed it.

If anyone can try to download the test build again and test for me and confirm that would be terrific.
It is the same Link as before:
https://github.com/KSP-RO/TacLifeSupport/releases/tag/v0.13.4dev

Initial testing seems to be good - I reproduced the scenario we were talking about yesterday and EC was updating itself nicely. Am now moving to my main modded install to test things there.

Edit: Tagging @JPLRepo in case you already ready my message and missed this.

Good news is, it works (hooray!) - Bad news is, it only works if you pause the game.

Repro steps: put a craft on launchpad - bring it out of prelaunch (I just took off and then landed it again)

Return to space centre - start to warp. Timer will start to tick down, even in sunlight.

Pause and Unpause game - timer will then properly update itself.

Log (although it doesn't look to be very helpful from what I could see): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivrtklna104p7ty/output_log.txt?dl=0

I think my initial test was a success as I remembered I'd turned off Unloaded Vessel Processing and paused the game to turn it back on again.

Edited by severedsolo

11 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

TAC LS v0.13.4dev with BackgroundProcessing v0.4.5.0 fixed electricity problems for me. But it murdered half my space station crew (State = Dead, Career Log => "0 = Die"). Revived them with notepad for the glory of Kraken ';..;' !

Here is log for what its worth: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0a9qtu22634u23/KSP.log?dl=0

Before:

5K2aTcu.png

(no death, but false-positive alarms made me launch nuclear reactor just to be safe)

After:

unGI7Wx.png

(crew with static noise disappeared after vessel switch)

There is a problem with
GameData\ThunderAerospace\TacLifeSupportMFT\MM_AddResourcesMFT.cfg :

It adds an empty ModuleFuelTanks of the type LifeSupportAll - all tries to manually adding TAC-LS resources are eliminated by this patch file, see

Edit:

confirmed, by deleting
GameData\ThunderAerospace\TacLifeSupportMFT\MM_AddResourcesMFT.cfg

I got rid off this issue.

Edit:

actually I'm trying to create a patch for MFT

Spoiler

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 hours ago, PT said:

TAC LS v0.13.4dev with BackgroundProcessing v0.4.5.0 fixed electricity problems for me. But it murdered half my space station crew (State = Dead, Career Log => "0 = Die"). Revived them with notepad for the glory of Kraken ';..;' !

Here is log for what its worth: https://www.dropbox.com/s/i0a9qtu22634u23/KSP.log?dl=0

Before:

(no death, but false-positive alarms made me launch nuclear reactor just to be safe)

After:

(crew with static noise disappeared after vessel switch)

Need a bit more info... so your vessel had no EC and was over 2 hours since it had EC?
But then it went good? but half your crew are dead?
Not sure but sounds like it is working.
If you revived them. and reload and fast forward time warp at the KSC does it still run out of EC and do your crew die? before or after you swap to it?

Oh and in the latest build you can go into the difficult settings and set it to hibernate instead of your kerbals being killed and it should work.

11 hours ago, severedsolo said:

Initial testing seems to be good - I reproduced the scenario we were talking about yesterday and EC was updating itself nicely. Am now moving to my main modded install to test things there.

Edit: Tagging @JPLRepo in case you already ready my message and missed this.

Good news is, it works (hooray!) - Bad news is, it only works if you pause the game.

Repro steps: put a craft on launchpad - bring it out of prelaunch (I just took off and then landed it again)

Return to space centre - start to warp. Timer will start to tick down, even in sunlight.

Pause and Unpause game - timer will then properly update itself.

Log (although it doesn't look to be very helpful from what I could see): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivrtklna104p7ty/output_log.txt?dl=0

I think my initial test was a success as I remembered I'd turned off Unloaded Vessel Processing and paused the game to turn it back on again.

Well that's a mystery.. so I conducted more testing....
Works fine for me... without pausing the game....
I followed your steps... works great.. timer ticks down in sunlight.. with no solar panels... and remains constant in sunlight with solar panels....
at no stage did I pause the game.
I conducted two test launches one with and one without solar panels... and just did a quick up and down so it was landed instead of prelaunch.
You did replace the backgroundresources.dll with the new one from the latest download?
What I did find, was in the scenario with the vessel has no EC production parts, when it runs out.. it was trying to kill the kerbals (and error out) even though on Kerbin it's supposed to open the window... So I have fixed that bug and updated the zip file (same link as before).

If you have unloaded vessel processing turned on you should see real time EC production and consumption for unloaded vessels.. Which is what I am seeing.
If you turn off unloaded vessel processing you see just the old method of guessing the EC production/time it will run out and the Last Update timer will actually count until you go back to the vessel. the EC will run out in this scenario (as it used to do) and will update when you switch to the vessel) Which is what I am seeing.
Although this works... and updates correctly, I highly recommend turning the unloaded vessel processing setting on.

I did a bit more testing with several other unloaded vessels and everything seems to work fine for me now.. even at maximum warp.

8 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

Need a bit more info... so your vessel had no EC and was over 2 hours since it had EC?
But then it went good? but half your crew are dead?
Not sure but sounds like it is working.
If you revived them. and reload and fast forward time warp at the KSC does it still run out of EC and do your crew die? before or after you swap to it?

Oh and in the latest build you can go into the difficult settings and set it to hibernate instead of your kerbals being killed and it should work.

I had over 20k ec and enough solars to refill in daylight, TAC LS panicked and displayed red negative time even while I was in control of space station.

With full ec (first pic) I closed KSP.

Then I upgraded TAC LS to dev build and added BackgroundProcessing.

When I started KSP again I was in control of station. Ec started at zero and filled to full in few seconds (faster than recharge could allow). From start half of crew had static noise instead of portraits. I thought it was jus a bug so Jeb went EVA and back. This caused dead Kerbs to leave station.

Now all Kerbs are back on station, 200 days of food, 300 of oxygen, stable 6 days of ec left. It looks like BackgroundProcessing ignores nuclear reactor (KerbalAtomics mod, I think) so I had to open some solars.

Right now I have some issue with air toxicity if I leave station for few days, but I guess it is fault of my life support system, not mods. CO2 at full, Kerbs dead, I guess I need some scrubers? It would be cool if that little status window displayed  that as well.

29 minutes ago, PT said:

I had over 20k ec and enough solars to refill in daylight, TAC LS panicked and displayed red negative time even while I was in control of space station.

When I started KSP again I was in control of station. Ec started at zero and filled to full in few seconds (faster than recharge could allow). From start half of crew had static noise instead of portraits. I thought it was jus a bug so Jeb went EVA and back. This caused dead Kerbs to leave station.

Now all Kerbs are back on station, 200 days of food, 300 of oxygen, stable 6 days of ec left. It looks like BackgroundProcessing ignores nuclear reactor (KerbalAtomics mod, I think) so I had to open some solars.

Right now I have some issue with air toxicity if I leave station for few days, but I guess it is fault of my life support system, not mods. CO2 at full, Kerbs dead, I guess I need some scrubers? It would be cool if that little status window displayed  that as well.

I'd prefer you don't use BackgroundProcessing Mod with TAC LS.
TAC LS now has it's own version of background processing... If you install that mod with TAC LS then TAC LS will disable all background processing of it's resources...

6 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

You did replace the backgroundresources.dll with the new one from the latest download?

I copied the entire GameData folder from this link: https://github.com/KSP-RO/TacLifeSupport/releases/tag/v0.13.4dev to a clean (just installed from Steam) version of KSP. I then started a new Sandbox game, changed absolutely zero settings (so Unloaded Vessel Processing would be on) and built the craft I sent you the other day, but put a rocket underneath it, and took off and landed back on the pad.

When I switch back to the Space Centre the behavior I described happens every time.

The trigger seems to be switching from Flight Scene to Space Centre.

When the save is first loaded (resumed), unloaded vessels already in the save track their EC fine. If I switch to the Tracking Station and back, while it's working, works fine. Even in the flight scene, on a vessel outside of the physics bubble, works fine.

But the moment I switch from Flight to Space Centre (just for total clarity, I am using the pause menu to return to the Space Centre) - even from a different vessel, it stops working. Once it's stopped, all the above scenarios where it previously worked, it no longer works there too. Press Escape Twice, and everything starts tracking again.

Apparently I am the only person having this issue though. At this point I'm considering writing a little plugin that just presses ESC twice on a scene change.

Edit: OK it is SPECIFICALLY using the pause menu to return to the SC. If i use the button on the UI (where the recover button is) it also works fine. My guess would be that an event bound to onGameUnpause doesn't fire on the scene switch?

Edited by severedsolo

6 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

I copied the entire GameData folder from this link: https://github.com/KSP-RO/TacLifeSupport/releases/tag/v0.13.4dev to a clean (just installed from Steam) version of KSP. I then started a new Sandbox game, changed absolutely zero settings (so Unloaded Vessel Processing would be on) and built the craft I sent you the other day, but put a rocket underneath it, and took off and landed back on the pad.

When I switch back to the Space Centre the behavior I described happens every time.

The trigger seems to be switching from Flight Scene to Space Centre.

When the save is first loaded (resumed), unloaded vessels already in the save track their EC fine. If I switch to the Tracking Station and back, while it's working, works fine. Even in the flight scene, on a vessel outside of the physics bubble, works fine.

But the moment I switch from Flight to Space Centre (just for total clarity, I am using the pause menu to return to the Space Centre) - even from a different vessel, it stops working. Once it's stopped, all the above scenarios where it previously worked, it no longer works there too. Press Escape Twice, and everything starts tracking again.

Apparently I am the only person having this issue though. At this point I'm considering writing a little plugin that just presses ESC twice on a scene change.

Edit: OK it is SPECIFICALLY using the pause menu to return to the SC. If i use the button on the UI (where the recover button is) it also works fine.

ah ok...  was using the drop down to return to the KSC. will look at this specific use case tomorrow.. although it's a very odd one....
Thanks for taking the time to test. Hopefully if I sort that one out we are on a winner. Cheers.
[Edit] thinking about it - it's probably the way the PauseMenu changes timewarp. Will definitely look at this one tomorrow.

1 hour ago, PT said:

Yeah currently TAC LS only does EC production for solar panels and generators... not any unique mods that generate EC. Will have to look at some of the common ones to add in.

Bug report: Was asked to rescue a kerbal from the mun surface. It appears the kerbal was actually outside of his pod. When I get within 2km or so, I get the message that kerbal has died of dehydration AND starvation at the same time.

Set it to hibernate instead of kill, that let me move him around and I got the regular 4 'out of everything' messages when I got within 2km

Once I put him into a pod, I tried to EVA him, and he refused

I saved and reloaded, and now hes changed from pilot to tourist.

And now that iv recovered him, Iv got my own professional tourist on my roster. -_-;

Here is what he looks like in my roaster before recovering him:

https://pastebin.com/TCbQpkRu

Edited by BlackMoons

Happened again, rescue kerbal mission accepted, switch to inflight rocket, takes 4 kerbal hours to get to him and he instantly dies of hunger *and* thirst when I get within 2KM.

Editing in some food/water for the kerbal just results in him dying of lack of EC. Giving him some EC + oxygen as well allows him to be rescued properly.

Old behavior from last version was you'd get the depletion messages when you got within 2KM, but I assume you had 2 hours or whatever to rescue them at that point since they didn't instantly die (Since it was rare that I ever saw them in a pod that had life support supplys remaining, but did happen sometimes IIRC)

Edited by BlackMoons

Installed new release of TAC LS 13.4 today (overwritten existing mod folder) and it's turn to be unplayable* (but only seems, see below) - after switching to lander on minmus with 3 kerbals I'm receiving constant flow of warnings ruining my performance while game is unpaused (here's also scattere bug so scroll up any it's nullrefs) :

[WRN 21:08:45.758] -WARNING- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFFA0334][95.00]: Removing hibernation status from crew member: Bill Kerman

Here's log file : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7M4d3RJWfusdDM3WFpxNVJZa2M

But I found solution (or at least seem-to-be solution) - turning "hibernate" setting off seems to solve this, so it's mostly look like a trap for peoples who will install this version and load save with enabled "hibernation".

Turning "hibernation" on again will return that endless warnings, so it's either is bug, or my save ruined and forcing me to use hardmode option only :)

9 hours ago, JPLRepo said:

I'd prefer you don't use BackgroundProcessing Mod with TAC LS.
TAC LS now has it's own version of background processing... If you install that mod with TAC LS then TAC LS will disable all background processing of it's resources...

I removed BackgroundProcessing. No sudden death. However I encountered small issue with TAC LS resources. In some containers consumables went below zero while byproducts went above capacity. Station have enough consumables to last 200 days, some containers still at 100%, in similar manner I have bunch of empty waste containers.

F9Kmps7.png

5 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

Happened again, rescue kerbal mission accepted, switch to inflight rocket, takes 4 kerbal hours to get to him and he instantly dies of hunger *and* thirst when I get within 2KM.

I just finished rescue. Kerb waited in low orbit few weeks before I finally remembered about him. One of landers from my station visited debris on its way down (300km -> 75km), encounter was swift so my new slave scientist used up only half of suit life support. It appears you only have few minutes for rescue after entering physics range for first time. In meantime I learned that 270 ec for two Kerbs (2h+ predicted time) is not enough for both SAS and LS while landing with terrible aerodynamics.

2 hours ago, demiare said:

Installed new release of TAC LS 13.4 today (overwritten existing mod folder) and it's turn to be unplayable* (but only seems, see below) - after switching to lander on minmus with 3 kerbals I'm receiving constant flow of warnings ruining my performance while game is unpaused (here's also scattere bug so scroll up any it's nullrefs) :

[WRN 21:08:45.758] -WARNING- Tac.LifeSupportController[FFFA0334][95.00]: Removing hibernation status from crew member: Bill Kerman

Here's log file : https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7M4d3RJWfusdDM3WFpxNVJZa2M

But I found solution (or at least seem-to-be solution) - turning "hibernate" setting off seems to solve this, so it's mostly look like a trap for peoples who will install this version and load save with enabled "hibernation".

Turning "hibernation" on again will return that endless warnings, so it's either is bug, or my save ruined and forcing me to use hardmode option only :)

I need more information.
The log file you provided is not the output log as per the OP.
Can you describe the resources state of the lander? or provide a save file?

6 hours ago, BlackMoons said:

Editing in some food/water for the kerbal just results in him dying of lack of EC. Giving him some EC + oxygen as well allows him to be rescued properly.

Old behavior from last version was you'd get the depletion messages when you got within 2KM, but I assume you had 2 hours or whatever to rescue them at that point since they didn't instantly die (Since it was rare that I ever saw them in a pod that had life support supplys remaining, but did happen sometimes IIRC)

Some logs?
A save file?
I need more info.

1 hour ago, PT said:

I removed BackgroundProcessing. No sudden death. However I encountered small issue with TAC LS resources. In some containers consumables went below zero while byproducts went above capacity. Station have enough consumables to last 200 days, some containers still at 100%, in similar manner I have bunch of empty waste containers.

Can you explain a bit more... what was the containers status before you switched to it? or last time you were at the station?
And then when you went to the station it showed negative values?
When you say empty waste containers, they were all empty?

53 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Some logs?
A save file?
I need more info.

It seems that all rescue missions are failing as soon as you get within 2KM of the target.

They are dying of Hunger and Thrist, something that should take days, even when you accept a contract and get there within hours (Contract accepted after updating to latest dev build of TAC). Giving them food/water results in EC death instead.

Sadly my game is heavily modded and I don't think you can even accept contracts in sandbox mode?

Lemme make a new KSP install and whip something up

43 minutes ago, JPLRepo said:

Can you explain a bit more... what was the containers status before you switched to it? or last time you were at the station?
And then when you went to the station it showed negative values?
When you say empty waste containers, they were all empty?

Every container started either full (consumables) or empty (waste). Station capacity is enormous.

No recyclers, just Kerbals eating and breathing.Emptied consumable containers went into slight negative, just like Water and Food in picture above. I guess some Math.Max(value, 0) should fix this :wink: 

Water and Food went into slight negative in StationScience Research Lab module (only there).

CarbonDioxide in container I screenshoted was at 700+/384 while containers in my dedicated life support drone were empty (over 30k CO2 units empty)

Then I added CO2 scrubbers, water purifiers and such. CO2 overflow was dealt with but I still have slight negative in some tank/oxygen/water containers.

Since last screenshot negative values became smaller:

Food: -8.69 -> -8.31

Water: -5.75 -> -5.46

RUOPnar.png

Log: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7e6zbg21x5zgii1/KSP 2017-07-18 v1.log?dl=0

Tomorrow I'll start with empty log.

Edited by PT

Well recovering a kerbal with a new save game with only TAC+mechjeb didn't work as the kerbal lived and his command pod had full food/water/etc.

So either something to do with the particular (modded?) command pods that spawned, or updating TAC life support in an older save.

Would my heavily modded save be of any use?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.