HUGE Dres Awareness Mission :D

KAL 9000

So, I'm gonna do a huge Dres Awareness mission to BEAT ALL RECORDS (maybe)! And it will only be launched by 100% reusable SSTOs! Currently in the planning phase, but stay tuned for updates! I of course know how to design and fly SSTOs, but if you guys have good cargo SSTO designs, feel free to share them and we'll pay your space program DOUBLE the roots it cost to build it. (Even though I'm in Sandbox for this, but hey). Let's see why the Kerbals decided to do this:

-STORY - PART 1-

"Koffee, please," said Gene.

A robotic voice announced "Preparing koffee... Your koffee is ready, sir."

The new Robo-Interns Werhner had invented were amazing! They do everything the real interns do, and we don't even have to pay them.

"Thanks!"

Gene entered the meeting room.

"What're we gonna do today?"

Gus read out the things going on today:

"Well, with this next module landing, the UKS Duna colony will be halfway done."

"Bo-ring. Does it have a kOS computer?"

"Uhh, yeah, why?"

"Have Linus remotely program it to automate the landing. Now that that's done..."

"Some dude named Hallock popped out of a Munolith. The Mun Pathfinder mobile base has been rerouted from Elcano duty to pick him up."

"Ok, can we interrogate him ask him some questions?"

"Yeah, anomaly sensors say that he came out of the 'Forgotten Space Program' save."

--We interrupt this playback to inform you that we at KAL 9000's space program have demolished the fourth wall since forever--

"OK, have Bill put up a 'Found' poster in the forums."

"Jeb's testing a new part that Bill .cfg'd in."

"What is it?"

"Jeb's been begging for it for a while. It's a booster with infinite fuel and 10000 thrust."

"Of course."

"That's it."

"Dangit, nothing to do... Wait! We'll go to Dres! Make it a challenge!"

Design of the forward third of the ship (named KSS max_creative) for @max_creative being one of the best Dres supporters. I will post screenshots soonTM, probably tomorrow. What's in the Mk.3 cargo bay, you will ask when you see them? Kerbalism active radiation shields. What's in the service bay? RTGs and scanners. That's all for now, although the launch SSTO for this 112-ton segment is still being designed. Expect a launch tomorrow.

1 hour ago, KAL 9000 said:

Design of the forward third of the ship (named KSS max_creative) for @max_creative being one of the best Dres supporters. I will post screenshots soonTM, probably tomorrow. What's in the Mk.3 cargo bay, you will ask when you see them? Kerbalism active radiation shields. What's in the service bay? RTGs and scanners. That's all for now, although the launch SSTO for this 112-ton segment is still being designed. Expect a launch tomorrow.

WHOO YEAH!!! GOOD LUCK (and maybe good explosions too)!!! Subd.

SSTO design is in progress, but if @SpaceplaneAddict would like to share a heavy lift version of his addiction, that would be appreciated. Because, you know, getting an SSTO to lift 112 tons to LKO is not easy.

Forward third is being towed to the SPH for attachment, design beginning on middle third, which will be habitation, science, and docking ports for surface equipment and landers.

8 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I'll see what I can do. Just got a new Processor HSF, so now i won't have to listen to a jet turbine as i play KSP.

Thx, not very good at heavy lifter spaceplanes.

-STORY - PART 2-

"What's going on, Werhner?"

"Ve are testing ze centrifuge habitat from ze Kerbalism mod. Linus, vo is in zere?"

"Tetfrey, sir."

"Ok. Tetfrey, how is it going in zere?"

"Fine."

"Linus, up the rotation to five Gs, please."

"Yes, Gene."

"This is Tetfrey, I feel the blood going to my feet."

"Linus, now vifteen Gs."

"Are you sure, Werhner?"

"Jah!"

"AAAAAAAAAAH!"

"Werhner, Linus, shut it off!"

"But look at how much VUN she is having!"

"Werhner!"

"Vine."

Tetfrey tumbles out, cussing.

"Werhner, you [CENSORED]ing piece of [CENSORED]!"

"Tetfrey! Fine, your snack salary is reduced for next week."

"But, Gene-"

"No buts! No swearing! If you wanted a safe job you shouldn't have applied to be a Kerbonaut."

I am new to KSP (never even really landed on the mun yet) and I have a question. Why do so many people dislike dres!?!? What did that cute little thing ever do to you? (yes I did just call a rock cute, I  get emotional some times :P)

edit: I was serious about my question btw. why does almost everyone hate dres?

Edited by nascarlaser1

1 minute ago, nascarlaser1 said:

I am new to KSP (never even really landed on the mun yet) and I have a question. Why do so many people dislike dres!?!? What did that cute little thing ever do to you? (yes I did just call a rock cute, I  get emotional some times :P)

Because government that invented it made it very boring.

On 8/25/2016 at 3:01 PM, nascarlaser1 said:

Another Dres follower! People believe Dres is "boring". I personally believe it is one of the most interesting bodies in the game.

Just now, lajoswinkler said:

No, issue is Eeloo is that most people are n00bs who can't get there.

if so many peeps can get to dres, why hate it? it looks fun. It also has low gravity which would make landings easy (I guess. as stated the mun is still a thorn in my side) You could make a whole KSC 3 there (counting the KSC 2 easter egg)

is that why people also hardly ever even speak of eelo?

Eeloo is really the same IMO but people dislike Dres and just ignore Eeloo for some reason. I mean Dres has asteroids orbiting it! Eeloo doesn't. Dres has a 1km high canyon! Eeloo doesn't. Dres is more interesting than the Mun for all its anomalies. More interesting than Moho! More interesting than Minimus, Ike and Gilly!

I rank it alongside the Joolian moons.

1 minute ago, lajoswinkler said:

No, issue is Eeloo is that most people are n00bs who can't get there.

Eeloo is easy as Jool with a plain change. If you can get to Jool, you can get to Eeloo.

Just now, nascarlaser1 said:

if so many peeps can get to dres, why hate it? it looks fun. It also has low gravity which would make landings easy (I guess. as stated the mun is still a thorn in my side) You could make a whole KSC 3 there (counting the KSC 2 easter egg)

Yeah! #Dresisreal!

everyone here should do the dres appreciation challenge on the forums (minus me).

Heh I understand. Touching down on the Mun is hard. It'll take a while. But once you learn how to do so and learn how to do interplanetary transfers, Dres is next!

I agree. People should just go to Dres and have a good time there instead of hating it. I've seen people have a lot of fun with the canyon. Seriously try it!

Thanks, guys! Well, all sections are designed, but due to an issue with screenshots saving, I won't be able to get them up today. But tomorrow, I promise! The Dres landers and a Karibou exploration vehicle have been designed, and all craft are in testing. Shall we see how it's going?

-Story - Part 3-

"What's next, Bill?"

--Jeb, Bill, Bob and Val are testing the Karibou rover at the grasslands near the KSC--

"Next test item is to test the inflatable-emergency-habitat-thingies from RoverDude's Karibou mod, Jeb."

--Again, my "canon" is that my Kerbals have no fourth wall, but I don't actually control them, I'm sort of a program administrator and mission controller--

"Are they still in the KIS containers?"

"Let's see... Yep, Val. Still there. You and Bob will go out and deploy them."

"Ok!"

--Outside the rover--

"This is Bob, the boxes holding them are in good condition, over."

"Bob, we don't have to use the suit intercoms. We can hear you. We're on Kerbin, where we don't have to where suits and sound carries, remember?"

"Oh, yeah."

"Alright, the box is labeled 'Contents of this box copyright Umbara Space Industries, Year 53. All rights reserved. Mod Karibou shipped and handled by CKAN Transportation. USI warranty void if exposed to the Mystery Goo. Fragile-Handle With Care.'"

"Thanks, Val. Open it up, guys!"

"Ok, it's deflated, but there's a button marked 'INFLATE'. I'm pushing it now..."

--It inflates, crushing Bob and Val--

"You okay?"

"Yeah, just a little squished."

"Okay, Jeb's coming out with a pin to deflate it."

"Jeb!? With sharp objects!?"

"Relax, it'll be fine."

Non-ship modules designed:

-Dres landers

-Karibou rover

-ISRU module

-Science module

-Those modules will land on Dres

-Non Dres-landing modules

-Crew transport (to & from Kerbin and the ship while the ship is in LKO)

-Dres communications satellites

-Dres mapping satellite

-Emergency escape pod

On 8/26/2016 at 11:07 AM, KAL 9000 said:

Non-ship modules designed:

-Dres landers

-Karibou rover

-ISRU module

-Science module

-Those modules will land on Dres

-Non Dres-landing modules

-Crew transport (to & from Kerbin and the ship while the ship is in LKO)

-Dres communications satellites

-Dres mapping satellite

-Emergency escape pod

what exactly is a caribou rover? Is it possible to build 1 for Kerbin as well??

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.