Mission Map (?)

If you've not taken the mission yet, there will be a waypoint in the Tracking Station for it. It can be hard to correlate it with the contract because there is no indication what the waypoint is for, other than the name. So you have to remember the name between Mission Control and the Tracking Station.

A nice QOL improvement would be to show a globe of Kerbin in Mission Control, showing the waypoint. And in the Tracking Station, you should be able to click the waypoint and see the contract. And - why not - accept or decline it from there.

Morning, thanks for the answers.

Can't give a specific example. My home Internet has been down for a few days since a clapper of a thunderstorm and the cable guys are backed up. I'm using my work connection for this with no KSP loaded for reference.

I haven't taken any of those tourist missions as I'm unsure of where the destination is. I've already taken a couple of missions which look simple, but are very hard to do with the basic loadouts and didn't want to get stuck again.

As long as a way point shows on the map upon acceptance, then life if good.

Cheers.

Edited by shadragon

Usually that map (of biomes of Mun) is not the one used for missions. I guess you could by random coincidence get a mission to a named Mun biome, but that is certainly not the usual pattern.

The missions that I have seen seem to be to more or less randomly spawned locations, as far as I could tell. It has been quite a while since I played career mode last, so it might no longer be the case.

If the locations are on another planet or moon you'll have to click on the planet to switch focus to it in order to see the markers (this is the same for contract satellite orbits as well). Once you're focused on the Mun you should be able to see the location pins in the tracking station before you've accepted the contract.

6 hours ago, shadragon said:

I did find this image here on the Wiki which has a few places named.

Those aren't "named places", they're "biomes"-- major regions of a planet or moon.  They're relevant for purposes of gathering science.  They're generally not relevant for contracts.  (There's no reason why in principle one couldn't have a contract that's tied to a particular biome, but the stock game doesn't do that.)

Incidentally, if you want to see the biomes in-game rather than that map you showed:  go to the ALT+F12 debug menu, and check the "Biomes visible in map view" box on the "Cheats" tab, and the biomes will be drawn on the view of the planet.

When you get a contract and it's telling you to go to some place like "Frobart's Revenge" or whatever, the "place" is a waypoint, which is a single point-location that will show up on the map as a little marker, kind of like the marker you get in Google Maps when you search for a place.  The name and location of the place are both randomly generated for that particular contract, and the "place" only exists as long as you have the contract active-- as soon as you complete or abandon it, the place markers go away.

Aside from seeing them in map view, you can also get them to show up on your navball by clicking the map-view marker and selecting the "navigate to here" option.

On 8/26/2016 at 7:54 PM, Snark said:

Aside from seeing them in map view, you can also get them to show up on your navball by clicking the map-view marker and selecting the "navigate to here" option...

That works great for me with low altitude missions. I build my plane launch, go to map view, click on the destination, and when I return from map view there's an icon on my navball.  I tried that for a high altitude mission today and after building my racket and going to map view and clicking on the destination, I didn't get anything on my nav-ball. Is there something different about the way that I need to select destinations when piloting a rocket vs a plane?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.