[1.1.3] Tokamak Industries Refurbished Parts v0.1.2 (Featuring Porkjet's hab pack)

Tokamak

I know others have said it, but thank you so much for putting this project together! I especially like the "theme" of having refurbished parts. Having support for USI-LS at initial release is also a huge plus in my books. Congrats on the great work!

On 8/27/2016 at 0:57 AM, Tokamak said:

NOTE: If anyone is interested in adding support for other mods, especially life support systems, like Kerbalism, TAC, and so on, I am all ears!

Since you asked.. TAC LS support would be great when you get around to it. I am sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate it. 

If I may humbly make a suggestion (not a request necessarily).. It may be beneficial to make it slightly more obvious that your parts pack is a continuation/replacement for existing (old) mods. While it is very obvious that you are in no way trying to take credit for others work, it does not jump out at me (it could very well just be me) that in general, part of your mod is a continuation of Pork Jet's Habitat pack. You clearly give him (and others) credit and you clearly deserve credit for the additional work that you have done to the IVA's etc. As it stands alone, your mod is amazing, but what drew me to it to begin with, was I was waiting for Pork jet to update his original Habitat pack/release his updated version. I realize that it was not likely, but I digress. For others that may also be waiting for old mods to get updated, you are a saint. I guess I would just advertise a bit more obviously that your mod is old [insert mod] plus your own improvements. If that makes sense..

For what its worth, your second post describing the individual parts should be an example to other modders of what a parts pack description could be. I just would have found this sooner if I had known it was a continuation/replacement pack.

Cheers,

Edited by Stratickus

5 minutes ago, Stratickus said:

Since you asked.. TAC LS support would be great when you get around to it. I am sure I'm not the only one that would appreciate it. 

If I may humbly make a suggestion (not a request necessarily).. It may be beneficial to make it slightly more obvious that your parts pack is a continuation/replacement for existing (old) mods. While it is very obvious that you are in no way trying to take credit for others work, it does not jump out at me (it could very well just be me) that in general part of your mod is a continuation of Pork Jet's Habitat pack. You clearly give him (and others) credit and you clearly deserve credit for the additional work that you have done to the IVA's etc. As it stands alone, your mod is amazing, but what drew me to it to begin with, was I was waiting for Pork jet to update his original Habitat pack/release his updated version. I realize that it was not likely, but I digress. For others that may also be waiting for old mods to get updated, your are a saint. I guess I would just advertise a bit more obviously that your mod is old [insert mod] plus your own improvements. If that makes sense..

For what its worth, your second post describing the individual parts should be an example to other modders of what a parts pack description could be. I just would have found this sooner if I had known it was a continuation/replacement pack.

Cheers,

I'd be more than happy to ass TAC LS support. If you know of a faq for modders on balancing TAC LS parts (something like this) please throw it my way, otherwise I can hunt around for one at a later time.

As far as the credit/continuation issue, I certainly understand what you are saying. If it wasn't clear enough, I'd be open to the idea of making it more clear, but I had kind of thought that I was beating that into the ground. I don't suppose you have any thoughts on how to phrase it better?

Of course, I'm not just using a name like "porkjet habpack reloaded" because the point of the project is to package together multiple "refurbished" mods, along with some new parts that fit the theme. But short of that, I'm open to suggestions.

You probably couldn't have found this SOONER though, because it's only been out for a week or two :P

3 minutes ago, Merkov said:

@Tokamak just a heads-up, it looks like the .version file in your most recent release (0.1.2) is still calling itself 0.1.1, causing AVC to give false update notices. Not a big deal, but I thought I would let you know. 

Oh dear, thank you very much. Somehow I managed to get the updated version file everywhere EXCEPT the actual zip. XD I appreciate the heads up, and have fixed it.

3 hours ago, Tokamak said:

As far as the credit/continuation issue, I certainly understand what you are saying. If it wasn't clear enough, I'd be open to the idea of making it more clear, but I had kind of thought that I was beating that into the ground. I don't suppose you have any thoughts on how to phrase it better?

Of course, I'm not just using a name like "porkjet habpack reloaded" because the point of the project is to package together multiple "refurbished" mods, along with some new parts that fit the theme. But short of that, I'm open to suggestions.

You probably couldn't have found this SOONER though, because it's only been out for a week or two :P

I personally wouldn't change the name or anything. Nor would I really change much of anything you have done to the post. It has a deliberate feel to it and it seems you put a lot of work into the post alone; its yours and I'm not suggesting you should change that. It also seems to me you have done more that 'just' refurbish some old parts.

Possibly a small blurb somewhere in the first post like "parts formerly a part of [insert old mod] pack" or "parts refurbished from Porkjets Habitat Pack with a link or something to the original forum post is all I was thinking. Short and sweet. That may also serve to illustrate the various improvements you've made.

As far as I can tell, you haven't missed anything. All the information is there, I guess I just missed it in your Asset Credits box.

3 hours ago, Tokamak said:

I'd be more than happy to ass TAC LS support. If you know of a faq for modders on balancing TAC LS parts (something like this) please throw it my way, otherwise I can hunt around for one at a later time.

Forgot..

Not sure if this what you're looking for, but I found this from the TAC LS github.

Cheers,

Edited by Stratickus

1 hour ago, Stratickus said:

I personally wouldn't change the name or anything. Nor would I really change much of anything you have done to the post. It has a deliberate feel to it and it seems you put a lot of work into the post alone; its yours and I'm not suggesting you should change that. It also seems to me you have done more that 'just' refurbish some old parts.

Possibly a small blurb somewhere in the first post like "parts formerly a part of [insert old mod] pack" or "parts refurbished from Porkjets Habitat Pack with a link or something to the original forum post is all I was thinking. Short and sweet. That may also serve to illustrate the various improvements you've made.

As far as I can tell, you haven't missed anything. All the information is there, I guess I just missed it in your Asset Credits box.

Forgot..

Not sure if this what you're looking for, but I found this from the TAC LS github.

Cheers,

Ah, I see what you are saying. I had been meaning to hang a lampshade on those facts with the part description text, but I'll see about being more explicit when I next update things.

Thanks!

On 9/5/2016 at 5:59 PM, Tokamak said:

Oh dear, thank you very much. Somehow I managed to get the updated version file everywhere EXCEPT the actual zip. XD I appreciate the heads up, and have fixed it.

Also in the 0.1.2 release ZIP: The Dry Workshop CFG isn't updated (no TechRequired line), and the changelog only shows 0.1.0 and 1.1.1. 

10 minutes ago, lurkoholic said:

Also in the 0.1.2 release ZIP: The Dry Workshop CFG isn't updated (no TechRequired line), and the changelog only shows 0.1.0 and 1.1.1. 

Argh. Thanks for catching that. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. I'm new to this and clearly had something derpy in my workflow. I have fixed it, and will be more attentive in the future.

@Tokamak, sure! There a simple guide in the KeepFit topic:

How to add the KeepFit part module to your parts

Whilst KeepFit makes a wild stab in the dark at choosing a reasonable fitness level to apply to crewed parts, you probably want to add your own configs for your favourite parts if you feel they shouldn't be assumed to be 'cramped' (by default all crewed parts are cramped, as per the Mercury quote 'You didn't so much get into it as wear it' (though dammit I can't find the original quote now).

Using modulemanager scripts, you add the module which allows the activity level to be defined for a part, which then goes to affect how quickly your crew's fitness degrades. See below for an example. All you have to do is create a .cfg file, and replace the named parts in the example with the part name (from the part.cfg file, not its name in the parts list in the editor), and choose an activity level for strActivityLevel from the available :-

1. CRAMPED
  2. COMFY
  3. NEUTRAL
  4. EXERCISING

// slightly better
@PART[mk2LanderCabin]
{
    MODULE
    {
        name = KeepFitPartModule
	strActivityLevel = COMFY
    }