KSP Endgame

Wcmille

When have you restarted your KSP game? When will you stop your current career game?

I think after I hit 90something reputation, I will restart. At 91 now.

I'm at 13000 Science, probably need to convert all Science to Rep, but was hedging in case the tech tree changed from a version change.

I restart careers either when I get bored of having everything or when a new version drops that significantly changes physics (ie, new atmo/heating/engine).

I also dick around in sandbox a lot, but I never really try to build anything lasting in those, so they're essentially disposable - reset whenever.

My "endgame" usually comes for one of 3 reasons

1. I feel like there is nothing left I want to do (almost never happens).
  2. I want to try a new set of mods from the beginning of a new career.
  3. KSP has a new version with a feature that I want to start from the beginning of a new career.

21 minutes ago, Alshain said:

My "endgame" usually comes for one of 3 reasons

1. I feel like there is nothing left I want to do (almost never happens).
  2. I want to try a new set of mods from the beginning of a new career.
  3. KSP has a new version with a feature that I want to start from the beginning of a new career.

1 never happened to me

2 is what's ended most of my saves

3 has happened twice to me

#1: Performance problems or bugs. Usually when the GC stutter gets unbearable or bases become unplayably laggy.

#2: KSP update (oft regretted due to new bugs, resulting in a month of waiting for hotfixes) or new mods.

#3: Some RL time-sink.

1. I have a huge disaster (6 Kerbals being killed in an SSTO because of the runway light)

2. Something self-imposed and boring (Mun Base Crew rotation)

3. I discover a new mod/tech tree that makes career interesting (Historical Tech Tree, and why I haven't updated my mission report in a while)

4. IRL stuff (A 2 week trip to South Dakota. When I got back, I completely forgot anything that had been going on in my save. Another reason for the lack of updates on my mission report)

5. Finishing the tech tree (In my HTT save, I'm nowhere near the end and I'm sending Kerbals to Duna! Without LV-N's!)

3 hours ago, eddiew said:

Having discovered kerbal research and development with which to hoover up all my spare science, I have no excuse to restart... either when all flaggable bodies are flagged, or 1.2 is cooked :)

I started a new game a while ago with Kerbal R&D, historical tech tree and contract pack, and a custom 3.2x scale using Sigma Dimensions. I figure this gives me a really good reason to improve the stats on certain parts, since 3.2x can be a bit of a challenge without SMURFF or RealFuels. 

Just now, Norcalplanner said:

I started a new game a while ago with Kerbal R&D, historical tech tree and contract pack, and a custom 3.2x scale using Sigma Dimensions. I figure this gives me a really good reason to improve the stats on certain parts, since 3.2x can be a bit of a challenge without SMURFF or RealFuels. 

I'm using OPM, it's pretty much mandatory to have some form of better equipment somewhere along the lines :)

I probably could get out to the furthest reaches on stock tech, but... frankly, this is more fun. I enjoy the science chase, and KRnD gives me an unlimited distance to cover!

I've started so many careers I can break it down into groups:

• I got bored and wanted to try a different mod cocktail.
  • I started getting so many bugs it became unfun.
  • I actually reached the goal I'd set for myself.
  • A new version came out and I wanted to start fresh for whatever reason.

Those are the "big 4" I think.

The one that always gets me is I think I've learned new-things/better-ways so I start the career over at an even harder level.  I do enjoy the early challenge of getting places with minimal tech etc.  though occasionally I get a little board when I'm in a bit a grind...that signals time to take a brief break rather than a restart.

Endgame is where I used to run out of RAM to run the game.   Now since my next game will be in 64-bits, this is highly unlikely.

I think my next endgame will be having collected all biome science from every body (and I will have OPM mod installed so...), this means exploration and return vehicles on every planet/moon.  The only challenge here is Laythe/Tekto because water, and Eve because high gravity(returning).  One of my goals is also to make a grand tour (with exploring as mentioned above), and build a few bases (Mun, Duna, Pol, Tekto, Urlum(this will be my big pet project) and maybe Plock).
I also have a few custom parts that I've rescued from abandonware which I can only use after the full tree is unlocked (personal limitation) to help with that.

Will I ever reach my end-game? perhaps.  At least running out of Ram will not be the main problem anymore, and just that prospect feels good.
I think I'll take the habit or archiving my save games on a weekly basis, in case something breaks.

Dunno if 1.2 will be ready before I start.  I seriously hope so, because I want wheels fixed so bad and I don't want to have to start over (most stuff should work, but you just never know, then there's mods updating).

It used to be when I ran out of RAM, and/or the game slowed to an unplayable crawl. Now those problems are fixed! So I'm starting to get a little giddy at the notion of actually going interplanetary with this career. Maybe even use some of the Near Future parts I've been drooling over for years! Maybe... and this is where it gets really nuts... maybe even continue this career after the game updates to 1.2!

5 hours ago, Wcmille said:

What's the highest reputation you've achieved before restarting? Any tricks to get it?

1000. Or whatever the highest is. I got it by setting up my strategies to give me rep instead of science AND money, and then completed a big contract. If you try to inch your way there you'll never make it due to diminishing returns, but if you smack it with a hammer it'll fall into place.

Edited by 5thHorseman

In previous games this tend to happen then my save got to large and bugged because of memory limits. 
Its not an issue in 1.13 because of 64 bit however I might restart for 1.2 as I'm in the endgame now, missing bases on an few bodies else pretty much done. 

I only really play sandbox. Every now and then I'll start a career but never get too far. I end up making different games for different topics. Like one will be a role play of some sort, the other will be test flights and then one will be an all out BDARMORY war. But then I get annoyed with all saves I have so I'll do a clean sweep and start over fresh. Don't know why I do it :rolleyes:

On 8/28/2016 at 0:50 AM, eddiew said:

I'm using OPM, it's pretty much mandatory to have some form of better equipment somewhere along the lines :)

I probably could get out to the furthest reaches on stock tech, but... frankly, this is more fun. I enjoy the science chase, and KRnD gives me an unlimited distance to cover!

KRnD does sound fun, but OPM is perfectly doable in stock, particularly now that ISRU has been added.

So far I haven't been planning any manned missions beyond Sarnus (in particular because of Tekto), I've got a grand tour probe already en route to flyby sarnus, urlum, and stop at Nedion.

Also, I've got a fast probe on an 11 year transfer to plock (with enough dV to capture)

In career... I don't even want to send kerbals out that long, so just probes beyond sarnus...

On 28.8.2016 at 0:56 AM, 5thHorseman said:

I've started so many careers I can break it down into groups:

• I got bored and wanted to try a different mod cocktail.
  • I started getting so many bugs it became unfun.
  • I actually reached the goal I'd set for myself.
  • A new version came out and I wanted to start fresh for whatever reason.

Those are the "big 4" I think.

What he said.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.